Battle Princess Madelyn. From the makers of Insanity's Blade

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Hey all!

We have great news, the Construct 2 prototyped game Battle Princess Madelyn is not only Greenlit but also on Kickstarter right now! ;)

http://www.battleprincessmadelyn.com/

We've rebuilt the entire game in Unity and have been having a blast with lighting and other fancy FX :D So far, we're still getting a solid 60fps on desktop machines that struggled with the prototype before, so things are looking good! :P

Thanks for all the positive feedback, we really appreciate fellow Constructors' support and kind words along the way!

For anyone interested in giving the game a play, we have a Pre-Alpha Build up on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/603930

Thanks again to the C2 community for their support through the journey thus far :D
-Chris and Daven
Causal Bit Games
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:03 am

This is grand! Haha I love it :D Real nice arcade feel.

Are you guys emulating the Yamaha YM2203 sound chip btw? It sounds a lot like it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 am

I can't remember the exact chip model, but yeah a Yamaha chip is exactly what the Arcade soundtrack is aiming for ( made by the Maldita Castilla musician Gryzor89 ) :)
Last edited by Jayjay on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Ooh, another Locomalito fan. That's actually where I learned about that chip in the first place :)

I played through the demo. Really solid stuff :) I'll be following this for sure.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 pm

@ErekT Yes indeed! :D and thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 pm

B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:53 am

Out of curiosity (aside from obvious reasons), why the switch to Unity from C2?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm

@Cryptwalker I'll imagine that the obvious reasons includes console export? :P

We've been saying it since Construct Classic was retired though: native feels smoother and runs better on most hardware we've tested than HTML5 + WebGL does (at least right now), and having experienced the porting from C2 to Unity 2D (raycasting) it was confirmed for us again.

When Scirra pushes that "C2 is faster than native" they mean faster than Construct Classic, because they've optimized more. If those same optimizations were brought back to Construct Classic it'd make total sense for CC to again be the best performance (because C2's JavaScript export is not compiled in ASM.js it will not match even C#).

This is mostly an argument for CPU-bound games (eg: 2D platformers with lots of raycasting), so effects-wise it's true WebGL *can* do perfectly close to native, but that's also assuming it is supported on the computer it's running on and not black-listed. Meanwhile, every card is pretty much at DirectX 9 compatibility by now.

Also, we have had less hardware and streaming issues with Unity, which has helped us get through Kickstarter so fast because the game works well on almost every computer that has run it so far even with all those fancy shaders and lighting bits we added in (eg: my 2010 business-level laptop can even run it on an old ATI gpu, although we would always recommend hire specs than that for best performance at high resolutions).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 am

@jayjay
Wow lots of interesting info. Hope Scirra reads this. BTW, why the need for raycasting in Unity?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 am

@Cryptwalker Raycasting was used because it was easier to do the jump-through / drop-through platforms that way (actually has higher collision accuracy than C2 does we discovered in one of the levels we ported over!)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests