before more exporters..

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm

[QUOTE=spongehammer] My point wasnt about the exporters specifically. Its the overlooking of other needed features.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Scirra could do with a Poll, listing several development options, and have the community's say weigh in on the choice.

[[email protected] perfick] lennaert You say you disagree? it sounds like you agree...

I did not say more exporters is the right choice, it's just My take on the situation...

The lack of an official Scirra mobile exporter is a major omission from C2 only recently ludei's apparent distancing from C2 support has shown how relying on third parties is highly risky, in the past we had awesomium, another let down, now all hopes are pinned on crosswalk...[/QUOTE]

perhaps i'm agreeing

Awesomium ? lol sounds terrible, hehe.

[[email protected]] I've been expecting "Export to Arduino" for a while now.[/QUOTE]

*pokes* no gl support though hahahahahah
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:31 pm

They already held a poll a number of months ago.
http://www.scirra.com/forum/what-next-for-construct-2_topic50890.html
though a new one would be nice now that about half of them tackled.

I would like to point out that over all I agree that certain aspects of C2 are seriously needed over more exporters. However some exporters would certainly take precedensce. Any major platform such as WiiU,XBoxOne, PS4. Even with a small C2 users getting to use them does lead that these consoles have large dedicated fanbases.

However there are other platforms like Tizen that personally are nice to have, but just aren't really all that a push enough of importance.

Personally for C2 we really need modularity and an IDE repo/store for developers. While I've seen a creep of contenders for "killer apps" coming. Having these two features could seriously push the technology for more and faster. All while building a better foundation.

However these two features are fairly deeply root in the main .exe file. So it's not something that might be coming soon, but it is coming.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:36 pm

The 3 items i mentioned are simple additions to the layout editor which would make it better to use. I could probably come up with another half a dozen if i thought about it.

I dont expect Scirra to add everything that gets requested, however i dont recall a clamour for speech recognition either spongehammer2014-01-28 17:36:51
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:43 pm

[[email protected]] They already held a poll a number of months ago.
http://www.scirra.com/forum/what-next-for-construct-2_topic50890.html
though a new one would be nice now that about half of them tackled.
[/QUOTE]

I hadn't seen that thread yet, but its excellent :)
A new one would be great.

[QUOTE=jayderyu]
Personally for C2 we really need modularity and an IDE repo/store for developers. While I've seen a creep of contenders for "killer apps" coming. Having these two features could seriously push the technology for more and faster. All while building a better foundation.
[/QUOTE]

I would love to see some sort of build in media library.
Options to import export certain objects or events sheets, and including such sheets or objects in projects.
Would be great.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Spongehammer.. I Agree. Thingies like Speech recognition aren't nearly as important as fixes on Construct IDE ..
Need help? Upload .capx file with your question.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:53 pm

i personally believe that the exporter for the Nintendo is a good step forward on the right direction.
why the right direction?
although i understand that only a few people will ever use it because of the high cost, it does give the option to a small company to produce something in a true gaming environment with known hardware ,controller and capabilities and of course the fact that 100% who bought the console are potential buyers.
my biggest concern right now with mobiles is exactly this problem. hundreds variations of speed ,screen ,input,size etc.
although i am not a programmer i believe that creating an exporter for fixed hardware with a lifespan of over 7 years is easier to achieve than mobile operating systems that change every few months.
so if i was head of scirra what i would do?
push for all next gen consoles exporting capabilities so i would give my "serious" customers a fighting chance to make some money in a highly profitable environment with no designing challenges. if it works on your dev kit it works on all consoles!and as a company it would be relevantly easy since the big boys provide everything to make it happen.
then i would focus on a single mobile exporter.either android or ios. not both of them.

one step at a time and when everything is perfect i would move on to the next one.
i love the fact that the average joe can create something and upload it to the app store and brag about it to his friends and family and is really a wonderfully thing.
but right now if someone wants to really invest his time,talent and budget with c2 he will have a hard time to make any money and there are so many ways that his game will not perform well(i am talking about mobile).
that's why consoles are a good way to go with an official mobile exporter later on that it will include all the bells and whistles of that particular platform.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:12 pm

I also like the Nintendo / big consoles thing, but according to Scirra's small manpower it's not a good Choice to work on that.
It's like.. hey we make a new muffler and spend a half year on construction only to make it fit on 2 ferraris, even our customers all drive Fiat.... but hey a ferrari muffler looks cool and makes a lot of attention with it's sound...doesn't matter we could have spent the time increasing Fiat mufflers to be less fuell consumpting...
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 pm

@Beaverlicious
i lost you there with the car example :)
what i am trying to say is that it is better to have one perfect exporter at a time than 10, that half work.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Well, I am still pretty new around here - but I am amazed at how fast updates come out, and how quickly C2 is improving.

Sure, there is room for improvement. And the entire industry is evolving at a mind boggling pace. But C2 is already more than good enough to make awesome games! If we aren't successful as developers. we have no one to blame but ourselves!

That being said, I am really looking forward to some of those requests being added too... :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 pm

We will get to everything eventually, the only question is the order we do them in. When deciding the order we have to weigh in a lot of factors, and it's not as simple as it might seem. For example I think a big part of the appeal of Wii U support is proving Construct 2 is a professional, console-grade middleware tool. This could do a lot to shift the perception of "it's just a toy" that we see still see and presumably lose sales from. Not to mention that if you want to publish to Wii U it's a pretty big deal! And everyone who uses Construct 2 is after something different, so even when we do add major new features there will be some people who would have preferred something else. Not much we can do about that. Hopefully multiplayer - which is in the works and should be awesome! - is a big feature that everyone will appreciate.

Don't get hung up on speech recognition, it probably took about an hour in total. Chrome was adding support, and we added a few actions and conditions to expose it to the user media object because it's kind of cool. It's not like we slaved over it for weeks and put off other features because of it.

The real problem is I think our userbase has grown to the point where as a small team we simply can't keep up with what we get asked for. For a long time now we've been getting new feature requests, suggestions and ideas faster than we can actually implement them, not even including our own internal ideas and plans. This is kind of a nice problem for us to have, but we still need to solve it, and we need to do that by growing the team. We've been looking in to hiring for a while now, but it's difficult and involves many new problems and logistical challenges. I am very keen to expand this year. Until then, we're doing our best and will keep the approximately weekly updates coming.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General