Beginner first impressions

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Latency independent responsive controls. Beginner friendly documented.
  • Hi again,

This post will not be very original, but just want to say I'm really impressed by the event system of C2. It is very intuitive and very near to "What You Think Is What You Get" And I have only a dozen of events, the double of actions and a couple of groups... (and playing with a websocket too, and it's fun !).

Hope to get this positives vibes for a long time ^^

So "bravo" Ashley, your tool is really engaging ! And the community is ultra-reactive, almost too much Again, you've got a problem, you've got more than one solution from the users, it is really cool !

Anyway, I hope to make a real finished game out of this before, let's say... the end of the year ? ^^ (Got Blizzard deadlines style).

Cheers.

• As someone who has just started with the software myself; I have used Clickteam Fusion and Gmemaker for tests to see which I preferred. Now, Construct might not have support for native devices yet and (from what Ive read) it's not the best at exporting to devices, largely because of the third party software but I still think it is the easiest game creator on the market and one that will end up being the market leader.

• I agree for the exporters, but it's a position. I know I could have more performance with Haxe (natively or via Stencyl) or perhaps via Gamemaker. I tried the two but my hands get sticked to C2 Clickteam Fusion doesn't inspire me a lot, I tried it but a long time ago (and I used their first programs STOS and AMOS in the 90's that were great at this time ... ^^).

For now I found the quick access and the quick preview of C2 really suit my needs, ie get the hands off the code and prototype concepts quicker. If "by chance" the problem of performance arrives, that means I have a game that works, so in the worst case I could always port it (or make it port by someone).

• I love programming with C2. I like it so much that I started created a C2 NodeWebkit app. The app design is to compile C2 games with XWalk localling rather than XDK cloud based system. It's got a nasty overhead, but what the hell right. That's how much I like programming in C2 that I'm going to make app in it

• I agree with all above statements.

• Good tutorials help, a lot. I tried GameMaker right before this, and gave up in frustration.

• Aurora Australis, I used gamemaker and gave up the dream of making games a few years ago!

• I love programming with C2. I like it so much that I started created a C2 NodeWebkit app. The app design is to compile C2 games with XWalk localling rather than XDK cloud based system. It's got a nasty overhead, but what the hell right. That's how much I like programming in C2 that I'm going to make app in it

Do you mean you're making an app builder with C2 itself ? Do you project to release it for the community ?

About XDX cloud, is it free or are there different plans like in Phonegap ?

Concerning Gamemaker, it's probably "more powerful" but the learning curve's harder than C2, and the look'n'feel probably worse (lots of icons with no text in the windows, hard to get the big picture quickly).

• Yes I'm making an app builder with C2 its self. Putting the app builder out for the community is the plan. The hard part with using C2 for building through C2 is that NodeWebKit doesn't seem to have access to the %Environmental Variables%. This lack of natural access is really hitting the progress hard. Every command including the most basic command calls need specific directory strings to the file. So this might end up as a Windows only tool to start.

XDX is free and is a cloud service right now. I think and I'm not sure. Is that local building of the app would cost.

I would agree about GameMaker these days. Having spent an ear out on GMS they have added some serious peformance improvements directly relating to newer compiles, direct hardware memory access. On another note personally C2 greatest weakness is the Browsers requirement that Canvas need to use requestAnimationFrame(). However I feel the the down costs are far outweighed by the other offerings of C2.

• Thanks for your answer jayderyu. And good luck with your builder

• Aurora Australis, I used gamemaker and gave up the dream of making games a few years ago!

I completely understand this. I am actually pretty good at PHP, MySQL and the thought of having to learn another programming language was a barrier for Gamemaker. At first I thought it would be OK but there is a lot of stuff that I would consider a necessity which has to be coded in to Gamemaker. That's perfectly fine for a traditional game engine but when there is a tool available like C2 which just works, out of the box so to speak, and is so easy then you have to ask why bother.

• Construct2 is great. It has some limitations with mobile app making at the moment but improvements do get made and its not like you can't make a game from it for mobile. Just have to wait for a few features to come along thats all. I used klick and play to MMF2 for years and a few hours in C2 and I've never looked back except for extracting some old graphic file =) The events editor etc. is alot clearer and easier to use I think on C2 =)

Not to mention the price difference plus a trip to the forum search usually sorts out any help needed =)

• Do both MMF2 and Game Maker get better performance on mobile devices??

That's my biggest hang-up right now with Construct 2...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Do both MMF2 and Game Maker get better performance on mobile devices??

That's my biggest hang-up right now with Construct 2...

That's only because they are exporting native apps. I know native apps aren't on the roadmap for C2 but I think we shall see better performance from html5 games on mobile in the future.

• Performance is something that people instantly notice right when they first open an app and interact with it...

With Great Performance everything else matters...

Without Great Performance nothing else matters.

I Hope Construct 2 becomes the leader of the pack with regard to the Best performance on Mobile Devices!!!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)