Best 3D engine

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • Recently I have thought about starting to make 3D games. I would like to know which 3D engine has the best performance and in the same time is easiest to learn and develop. I have heared, that Unity is the best, but the licences are very expensive. The other one that caught my attention is called THREE.js. It is uses WebGL renderer and from what I have seen from examples it is very powerful and the code is easy to learn and you could have amazing results with just a few dozen of rows.

Does anyone have experiences with 3D engines and could recommend me one as a beginner? Also does anyone have experiences with THREE.js and which are the pros,cons and limitations of this engine.

• From what I've heard, Unity is hands down the best for beginners. If you're not a beginner in 3D programming, I can't help you much there I'm afraid ;)

• not just for beginners but for all 3d game makers unity is an exelent software and recently they made it so you can publish to andraid and ios for free with there free version of the software it used to cost $400 per platform and if you want somthing to do your art in thats free try this

http://www.blender.org/

heres the link for unity

• Ok thanks for answering, I'll be looking up what I can create with this engine.

• A lot of the big 3D engines are more indie friendly these days.

Unity3D is pretty awesome and easy to jump into, however unless you have the $1500 to shell out a license there are things you can't do without such as realtime lighting, AA, DoF.

UDK (Unity Dev Kit) is full featured SDK that does a lot, free to use and you only pay a percent if you make over $250k (or .. $25k .. ) which is fairly reasonable. Basically, you only pay for it if you make any money. On the flip side, it's not as easy to figure out as Unity3D. It would take some time and going through a lot of tutorials before you figure it out.

If you've never used a 3D engine before, you're going to be confused pretty quick. BUT once you get the basics it's pretty exciting.

I would also recommend Blender for your modeling needs. You CAN make games in Blender as well, but it's not as robust or easy to use as Unity or UDK.

• UDK is the Unreal Dev Kit ... as far as I know ;)

rock on,

Michael

• I want to See Scirra Make The First DRAG AND DROP 3D ENGINE!!

I will pay to see this guys!! I know its Possible And if they did this it would be Incredible!

• I don't think a C2-style 3D engine for beginners is feasible in the near future. 3D just takes so much more work and time on the developer's side.

• sqiddster Im sure it wouldnt be out to the public for a long time.But people can dream and it does sound like an awesome idea.Nothing is impossible for scirra with the talent they have/I do understand your post,It will take alot of time but it would definitly be worthwhile.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well this is not the first time it has been asked/requested, every time Ashley has answered that he preferred to keep focused on C2 until completion.

A 3D engine is a LOT of work, and wouldn't provide the same accessibility than C2 anyway, since 3D deals with more complex maths/concepts than 2D.

• Well this is not the first time it has been asked/requested, every time Ashley has answered that he preferred to keep focused on C2 until completion.

A 3D engine is a LOT of work, and wouldn't provide the same accessibility than C2 anyway, since 3D deals with more complex maths/concepts than 2D.

That is what would make this so great,If Ashley could find a way to make it less complex for people like me,Who by the way loves unity but will never grasp 3D elements of code and how it works.The same learning aspects as C2 would carry over to possibly C3D,But i do understand what you mean by more complex maths and concepts.

I still think Ashley and the Scirra Team could make an Incredible dream a reality for alot of people who would love to make 3D games.Even at a miniscule scale.

• a 123 drag and drop 3d program thinking about it would freeze your computer allot

• sosensible im not sure why it would freeze your computer,What i do know is making a program do things upon a drag and drop request is not so far from the future or reality.I think that Ashley and Scirra would make a program of that caliber shine.

Its something that one mind would never achieve,It takes a Team and in my opinion Scirra has the best implementation of drag and drop programming in the world.

Use this same style intergrated with a 3D engine and boom.Million Dollar Engine for the Masses.

• have you EVER USED A 3D PROGRAM !

• sosensible: have you ?

On a decent computer, it doesn't freeze.

Why the caps and the nonsense ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)