Best art program for a beginner?

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:26 am

Pick up spriter as well, while it's cheap :). Even if you are not planning on doing animations right away, it will be worth it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:30 am

I use Inkscape and GIMP. Both of these applications are excellent. There are also plenty of tutorials to get you started on Youtube and the web.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:13 am

+1 for Gimp! I used Photoshop for ages, but am tired of paying for upgrades. I just started using Gimp and wow- It has everything you need... and it's FREE!
Tip: Does your game need grass? Google "gimp grass brushes".
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:25 am

You can get Adobe CS2 (witch includes Photoshop) for free from their site.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Plenty of suggestions, appreciate them all. will be doing some hardcore research/trials on these bad boys. Thanks dudes!
B

Post » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:43 pm

@Break Brick

there is no "best" program to make art but for beginners there is some of then that are dificult to understand if you are totally blank about graphic softwares.

if you know how to draw using pencil and paper i recoment you to scan your art with Paint and then export to paint tool SAI to cut out the parts of your character and then you can animate with brashmonkey spriter

if you want to learn digital painting/drawing or pixel art, use paint tool sai tool because is pretty direct and easy, for pixel art you just take the Binary tool and start to use it

for animations, it depends of the complexity of your characters, if they are simple you can use the tool inside C2, if they are complex you can adventure yourself on photoshop. but beware, photoshop is heavy and not too much intuitive

a pretty basic pixel tutorial: http://www.photonstorm.com/art/tutorials-art/16x16-pixel-art-tutorial

advanced pixel tutorials: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 pm

thanks for the links and advice valdarko. I',m gonna get craking with checking out a lot of these REC's this weekend. Sweet
B

Post » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:09 am

To do both vector & bitmap image I'm using Fireworks which also provide animation feature, frame by frame or tween. The good side is when you exporting the image/animation there are some option to optimize file size.
I just love the simple layer and state functionality.

Other software I considered useful for advance imaging is Krita (free). It intended as painting tool, but also nice filters and basic image manipulation.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 pm

I'd strongly suggest Inkscape and GIMP for free software, I would also recommend taking a look at this site: http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/

It's literally saved my butt since I can't afford to contract an artist.
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Well, I would agree with people commenting about Pickle and Pyxel I hope that's right, I use them from time to time but they tend to be a little buggy and crash on me, however they are a good place to start.

I would like to offer a more efficient workflow though! I would recommend Paint.net and Graphics Gale. Both of which are FREE!

I say Paint.net as it faster and better for working with still or static pixel art, like tiles and other such level assets. Where as Graphics Gale would be your go to for the animation of characters which offers a real time preview of the animations. Although there is another application you could use which is also completely FREE, I believe it's called AeSpriter.

Here, I wrote a tutorial a while back and haven't had too much time to finish off the second part to it but it covers the different applications you could use for pixel art, or at least the most popular ones.
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/582/creating-isometric-pixel-art-from-scratch-part-1-creating-templates/page-3

It will give you links as well as a rough idea for the application too... I hope this helps shed some light on where you may begin =]

Kind Regards
Patriick
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources