Best art program for a beginner?

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:27 pm

InkScape is great for vector stuff and such but you won't have as much freedom or control as using something like GIMP or Paint.net for pixel art =]
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:40 pm

[QUOTE=Patriick]
InkScape is great for vector stuff and such but you won't have as much freedom or control as using something like GIMP or Paint.net for pixel art =][/QUOTE]

Creating detailed sprites isn't inkscapes forte, but it is great for producing higher resolution images (imagine trying to create a 128x128 sprite pixel by pixel...)
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:10 pm

[QUOTE=Nijek] [QUOTE=Patriick]
InkScape is great for vector stuff and such but you won't have as much freedom or control as using something like GIMP or Paint.net for pixel art =][/QUOTE]

Creating detailed sprites isn't inkscapes forte, but it is great for producing higher resolution images (imagine trying to create a 128x128 sprite pixel by pixel...)[/QUOTE]

Well in all honesty you wouldn't usually unless tiling tiles or using filters within Paint.net to help with that =]

I agree though with the use of Inkscape for higher res images, it makes more sense in most cases :P
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:49 pm

In my studio I use Inkscape, Gimp, Blender, and Zbrush to make 2D graphic tiles.

Most of my recent work has been only done in Blender, using Gimp for a small tweak here and there.

As far as Seamless tiles are concerned I have been using Neo-TExture Edit. It renders 100% seamless textures.
If you have a little bit of money you might want to replace NeoTextureEdit with Genetica.
http://neotextureedit.sourceforge.net/download.html

To use Inkscape for pixel art I make my sprites 256x256 and the pixels I make 32x32 squares with the grid turned on. Make sure you turn off Anti-Alias or you will have problems with colors bleeding. Then scale them in Gimp with the scaling mode set to NONE.

Recently I made my own in-house pixel editor. It has the cool features of GIMP and Inkscape , ,plus a couple I have never heard of before. My favorite is the ability to move the pixels around freely, and the way the color changes can always be recovered while animating.

You can find one version in the Scirra arcade, but the arcade does not seem to allow POP-ups... So i need to release a node-webkit version.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:08 am

PyxelEdit just updated today with a decent update that includes some base marquee and animation support. Also exports it's XML level tilemap to a JSON format. A bunch of other stuff has been added too.

Of course to make up for time spent, the dev is charging a price of $8, or more if you want.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:19 am

B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

[QUOTE=Xionor] I've heard Inkscape is pretty good.
Both for pixelart and normal one.

It's what my artist uses.

Personally I stick to GIMP and do everything like a caveman :P[/QUOTE]

I'm certainly a noob when it comes to computer graphics and I have found Inkscape to be VERY user friendly.
B

Post » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 am

I'm using Inkscape as it appears more user friendly to me.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:35 am

I USE A PROGRAM CALLED anime studio by Smith Micro great for animation drawing tools weak but sufficient.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Inkscape (free) or Illustrator (paid) - Vector graphics is the way forward :)
B

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources