Best Chiptune Music and Snd. FX Makers. Do you create music?

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:10 pm

@bclikesyou Great stuff on your page! Thanks for the links. LSDJ seems like another great choice. Lots of good software out there apparently.

@signalhighjacker Sunvox sounds perfect! I actually heard about sunvox and looked at it a little bit but never tried it. Thanks for downloading 8tones too.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I wonder, does anyone happen to use a midi keyboard for their music creation? I feel like having an actual physical keyboard would help me in a bunch of different ways. I should still learn the music/software basics and create tracks before getting one but I think I would really like one. There are so many different music creation software it's sort of hard which to choose. Right now I'm in the beginner stages of using famitracker, going through tutorials on youtube and trying to deconstruct some songs.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:43 am

Having a midi keyboard is great to visualise notes and construct things like chords, generally though unless you're a keyboard player it's not that necessary when writing computer music - useful for sure, but not mandatory by any stretch. I started out writing using my pc keyboard and I often find myself reaching for that instead of the midi - once you learn the mappings it's fine - actually often faster if you're using a tracker just to use the PC keyboard. If you want something to visualise the notes better though, a small midi keyboard is great - you can often get 25 key versions that easily fit on your desktop with your pc keyboard - they're cheaper and good for workflow.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:41 pm

Message: grymmjack can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 2 URLS modified. Why?
For tracking, nothing beats Renoise, IMO. http://www.renoise.com

For making game sounds, I like to use VST plugins and stuff. I just created a YouTube video about this, and I'm not going to spam you with the URL unless you ask nicely :)

For free, you could do a lot worse than OpenMPT (formery MODPlug Tracker) https://openmpt.org/features
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Tools and Resources