Best Indie Game You Ever Played?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Okay, I'll admit, I haven't played that many true indie games, ie stuff you can't find on Xbox arcade. Cave story is probably the best I've played, but I suppose that's a pretty obvious one. However, I must say I was very impressed with the Iconoclasts demo; I could see the full game being as good as cave story if it keeps up the level of quality that's already there. A few more I've come across:

Sonic Robo Blast: Really fascinating game, made with the old doom engine; it manages to fuse the game-play of sonic the hedgehog with Fps elements. The levels are huge, and the graphics, while low res, have a strange appeal to them. Really unique.

rRootage: Neat bulletstorm shooter; played a port of it on my psp; really fun game. Enemies are auto-generated somehow, and spout enormously complex bullet patterns. Interestingly though, the bullets often move slower than other bullet hell games, and your ship has a tiny, tiny hit box, so it's possible to really weave in and out of bullets.

powder: By Dan-ball. Just found this a few days ago while reading about 2d physics simulation; literally a 'sandbox' game. Could spend hours playing with this.

Rhythm 8: Not quite a game, but an incredible homebrew music app built for the psp; unfortunately not developed anymore, but it's rock stable and really fun.

Anyway, that's my paltry list. What about you guys?
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Knytt and Knytt Stories were both great for their simplicity, for the different take on the platformer (ie, exploring and puzzle solving, no combat to speak of) and the fantastic music really created an atomsphere despite the retro style graphics
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:09 am

La-Mulana. It's easily the greatest and most elaborate game I've ever played.

Second would have to be Eternal Daughter. It was the first indie game I ever played and pretty much got me in to this whole mess :)

The Iconoclasts is definitely next on my list. I'd say more but it's still just a demo, so. Honestly I think it will whoop Cave Story. It was a great game but..come on :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:15 am

Was just looking at Eternal Daughter yesterday...I love metroidvania type games, so I can't wait to give it a spin. Kyntt sounds really good too; I think music and atmosphere are two of the most important things often overlooked in games; they can make a very simple game totally engrossing.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:43 am

Doom.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:18 am

Doom? An indie? Umm...huh?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 am

Well at the time, ID software was an indy company, and Doom as a shareware was somewhat of an idny game yes.
But it was a long time ago. A time that the younger can't remember or know. Internet didn't exist, HD TV didn't either.
CD players were the hot novelty and processors went up to 100 MhZ.
A phone looked like that :

It wasn't mobile, you had to plug it to some line for it to work.
Oh and there wasn't game for it (not really).

Good ol' times ^^Kyatric2011-12-03 09:09:57
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:32 pm

lol the 90's.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:32 pm

[QUOTE=TiAm] Doom? An indie? Umm...huh? [/QUOTE]

Yes. And for that matter Rise of the Triad, by Apogee, made with the Wolfenstein engine, is also a blast. And free if I recall correctly.

iD still labels itself as an independent developer, so why not include them in the list of boring games like Knytt? Makes the competition kind of easy, lol, but hey why not? "Indie games" like Flower have dozens and dozens of people listed in their credits (a big fat lol) so a game made a small handful of programmers should count, right?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:29 am

One day when getting bored, i make some FPS games with Construct 4 and come back to the Scirra Community, seeing Kyatric the old man still there. :D

My favorite is Doom, too. Sometime i got scared by the monsters and just hiding in a corner, let the monsters attacking me in the back =))
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic