Best Practices for Making More Money with Mopub and Android.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • Over the past month I made the move to the new admob, where I saw a dramatic decrease in my ad revenue. I have been reading up on Fixes ever since.

Yesterday I overhauled my entire system, updated and optimized all of my apps, and I went from making $4-$8 daily to well over $200 in a day.

My apps are relatively new, and do not have as many downloads compatively to a lot of successful developers, I think between 5 apps I have 80,000 total installs and 25,000 active. Which is really low for Google Play.

A couple things that helped

• Wrap my apk file in CocoonJS 2.00 Beta (I kept mine at 1.4.7 for too long because I thought this caused the problem)
    • Make Full Screen Interstitial Ads a result of a touch or a button press and ad in a 1 second wait afterwards before anything happens. (Touch screen, show full ad, wait 1 second then go to layout, in some of my games the app wouldn't have time to load the ad before it's called back to the game making my mopub numbers terrible)
    • Fill out everything in Cocoon JS under the ad tab (Even if you aren't using the ad networks, check all of the boxes, even if you aren't publishing on the iOS put the code for the Banner and Fullscreen ads in there anyways. I have no idea why but this was the main thing I did that caused the spike)
    • Use 3 AD Networks Admob, Mobfox, and Millenial Media I have tried all of them, I promise, use these three.
    • Set all of my minimum CPM to 0.35 (I'll experiment with higher and lower numbers, but by keeping it way higher than 0.05 I have weeded out all of the garbage, and my numbers are better as a result, so now I'm being served better ads with higher CPMs.

I know there's a guy making a class or something, and charging people money for it. I don't agree with trying to make money from a community so I'll do my best to share anything I learn that might be helpful to people trying to make income developing apps.

I'll probably do a tutorial with pictures and diagrams if you all think It would be helpful.

• Please do create a tutorial. It would be very useful, thanks!

• Did you set both banner and full ads to 0.35? And did you set the price at mopub or admob/ad networks?

• Amazing! How did you promote your apps ?

Mind sharing with us your game links ?

• "Set all of my minimum CPM to 0.35 (I'll experiment with higher and lower numbers, but by keeping it way higher than 0.05 I have weeded out all of the garbage, and my numbers are better as a result, so now I'm being served better ads with higher CPMs."

• that sounds reasonable, because high eCPM from 3 different ad networks should give good fillrate too

ArcadEd what do you think?

"Make Full Screen Interstitial Ads"

are there still problems with interstitials on landscape layout? when I was testing full screen ads sometimes I got 'portrait ad' on landscape layout (even if ticked 'landscape' on MoPub), and when going back to layout (after i.e. clicking "x" button on ad) it was causing visual problems on app

• Amazing! How did you promote your apps ?

Mind sharing with us your game links ?

I'll send an app to a list of 20 app review sites or blogs, tweet it with hashtags,

I have a few grey hat marketing tactics, but a lot of people browse the free apps, if your game is good and people keep it installed it'll move quickly up their search results.

Did you set both banner and full ads to 0.35? And did you set the price at mopub or admob/ad networks?

Absolutely, every single one.

I'm experimenting with moving each around and recording the fill rate data to compare for the best possible settings.

• - this is very good info! Thanks for sharing!!

• When you upgraded to new admob, the publisher ad id is also need to be changed in the new apk. Am I correct ?

previously it is : aXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

new admob it is :ca-app-pub-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So we need to input the new or updated admob id in the mopub ?

Also there is no Mobfox network in CocoonJS ad network list. Where do you put it ?

• [quote:2u3blqsb]I know there's a guy making a class or something, and charging people money for it. I don't agree with trying to make money from a community so I'll do my best to share anything I learn that might be helpful to people trying to make income developing apps.

Yes, thanks for the sharing. I don't really appreciate the comment about me "Trying to make money off the community", but you are entitled your opinion. I put countless hours into creating my courses that go into detail with a problem people were having getting ads working with CocoonJS from start to finish.

I answer questions daily through the forums, PM, Skype and facebook about getting things working without taking a dime from people. I would think my rep and history on these forums prove that.

Can you help me set this up please? I have an app that already uses cocoonjs banner ads no problem. I'm making adjustments to the capx so that it will display full screen ads - the problem I'm having is that I can't get any of the test ads to work in the cocoonjs test launcher. Do you know if they should show there or is it likely something wrong with my event system? I'm using my mobile as a modem so I can't try the cloud launcher until later today because of file size...

I've tried to follow your guidance above. On start of layout I have a preload full screen ad. After a minute I enable a button press trigger which calls the show full screen ad, but nothing happens. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

• preload screen is broken for me with the latest cocoon +hotfixes, it gives an error in the cocoon launcher, how did u get over this? Also how did u made the ads work with cocoon js 2.0, most of us get nada from it.

• Are your games complex games or simple mobile games ? How much time did you spent for 1 game development ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • May I ask how your fill rates are setup? I have admob setup as the lowest price and highest fill rate and im only getting impressions from admob

• [quote:31voeec5]I know there's a guy making a class or something, and charging people money for it. I don't agree with trying to make money from a community so I'll do my best to share anything I learn that might be helpful to people trying to make income developing apps.

Yes, thanks for the sharing. I don't really appreciate the comment about me "Trying to make money off the community", but you are entitled your opinion. I put countless hours into creating my courses that go into detail with a problem people were having getting ads working with CocoonJS from start to finish.

I answer questions daily through the forums, PM, Skype and facebook about getting things working without taking a dime from people. I would think my rep and history on these forums prove that.

I paid for your tutorial and am glad I did. I do not want to stumble through the process... I prefer to get the information straight from someone who has already done it and paying a little money for it was no problem.

• It would be great if some link resources or a capx example would also be provided to learn about these methods..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)