Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri May 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Yep. I'm going for option 1 as well
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 pm

tunepunk wrote:For that type of short game i would probably just sell it cheaply let's say 1-2$, nobody is gonna feel ripped off from a couple of hours of entertainment and no annoying ads. Most marketplaces have option to try the game first or refund within some time if you don't like it.

Or .... you just release 2 versions which I've seen some do. One free with ads, and one for a small fee without the Ads. Release one without ads first, if nobody buys it, release a free version with ads.

Anyway, I'm not sure what would best fit your game, but my guess is that you would earn a bit more by just charging for it.

Ok so it sounds like the style of game I am making isn't really long enough to benefit too much from ads. So I should focus more on trying to get a one-off payment... either by Option 1: to remove ads from an otherwise free game OR to make it a paid game and charge a small fee right from the start. In both cases I would charge either 0.99c or 1.99c.

Wishy wrote:I do option 1 in all my games, but don't show too many ads, 1 every 5 min or so, or only on certain events

Hi Wishy. So you've had success with Option 1? Would you mind if I ask you some questions about your experience? I totally understand if you dont want to give away specific numbers, but just answer in general terms?

-How much do you make from ads versus IAP to remove ads? Do you make more from ads or more from the fee to remove ads?

-Roughly what % of your players bother to pay to remove ads? Like do most players finish your game in the free version, without bothering to pay to remove ads? Or do you find most of your players actually go ahead and pay the fee to remove ads?

Thanks, only answer if you feel like sharing ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 27, 2016 11:47 pm

Hey @tunepunk, on a completely unrelated topic for a second, did you notice our user names are similar? All we need is to find a guy called 'codepunk' and we could team up together and make a game studio called 'GamePunk' :D Ill do art, you do tunes, codepunk does the code.
Maybe we'd need 'marketingpunk' too.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Artpunk wrote:Hi Wishy. So you've had success with Option 1? Would you mind if I ask you some questions about your experience? I totally understand if you dont want to give away specific numbers, but just answer in general terms?

-How much do you make from ads versus IAP to remove ads? Do you make more from ads or more from the fee to remove ads?

-Roughly what % of your players bother to pay to remove ads? Like do most players finish your game in the free version, without bothering to pay to remove ads? Or do you find most of your players actually go ahead and pay the fee to remove ads?

Thanks, only answer if you feel like sharing ;)

I haven't had any decent games with 50.000+ downloads yet, so my numbers are not really a good model.

Every 20-30$ I earn from ads, I earn about 1-2$ from an IAP to remove those ads. Nearly all those games had endless levels so the players don't really 'finish' the game. I'm sure a quality game will earn way more with IAP, in the form of currency or in-game-items.

But like I said, I don't have any popular games with a lot of dowloads so I can imagine that a good game will earn more from IAP.

I only recently started experimenting with Rewarded Interstitial Video's too, looking good so far, but I can't give any numbers yet.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 1:56 pm

People are going to be angry if they buy a game and it has ads.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 2:30 pm

@Lasmelan - Not really, depends on the style and neatness.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 3:39 pm

@chadorireborn The fact that you paid for a game and it annoys you with ads is, by itself, unappealing to players. I know that if the game is very good, that won't be much of a problem.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 5:02 pm

@Lasmelan - Yes, to correct my post earlier, this should only be done if your game company is as popular as Piano Tiles developer or Supercell but for us, we are better off with free version + ads or bought version & no ads.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 29, 2016 9:22 am

Wishy wrote:I haven't had any decent games with 50.000+ downloads yet, so my numbers are not really a good model.

Every 20-30$ I earn from ads, I earn about 1-2$ from an IAP to remove those ads. Nearly all those games had endless levels so the players don't really 'finish' the game. I'm sure a quality game will earn way more with IAP, in the form of currency or in-game-items.

But like I said, I don't have any popular games with a lot of dowloads so I can imagine that a good game will earn more from IAP.

I only recently started experimenting with Rewarded Interstitial Video's too, looking good so far, but I can't give any numbers yet.

Thats interesting. Sounds like you easily make more revenue from ads than from the IAP to remove them. I had thought the revenue from each would be more even.
Yes Ive heard that IAPs are a profitable way to monetize, but for my current game I am not aiming to add that level of complexity. I'm following the advice to keep my first game as simple as possible, I think for the first attempt its more important to just try to finish something, try to make it a good game, with good mechanics and fun to play, get it out there and try to generate good reviews and a following. Then afterwards, ill try to make future projects with in-game currency and IAPs for upgrades etc. Thats the mid - long term plan anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:57 am

Artpunk wrote:Hey @tunepunk, on a completely unrelated topic for a second, did you notice our user names are similar? All we need is to find a guy called 'codepunk' and we could team up together and make a game studio called 'GamePunk' :D Ill do art, you do tunes, codepunk does the code.
Maybe we'd need 'marketingpunk' too.

Haha not a bad idea, would be a funny setup. Sorry for late reply to this topic.

Anyway, regarding monetization there's also other factors to consider.

Personally I'm greatly opposed to using ads in game. I don't like ads, they look ugly, and ruin the game experience, and makes the game look cheap, BUT I understand it allows you to earn a bit of profit on a free game.

IAP's are handy BUT forces you to design the game around this monetization model to earn some money on your game. U can restrict the game for those who don't pay. Like Candy Crush U can play for free but you have to wait for new lives, unless you buy more. I don't know how games like crossy road did so well with IAP, I never saw any ingame ads, and no restrictions, other than characters you didn't unlock yet, but I really like this model. Other characters have no advantage/disadvantage. Pure cosmetics, and people seem to buy it.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General