Better IQ means better games?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • We all know that intelligence is important in our lives but I have asked this question to myself several times but I got no answer. Well I made an IQ test and got 130 but I'm still confused if it will help me in game development.

My question is that is game development is a creative or logical domain or both? and does IQ helps make better games?

• You might have a high IQ but you have no common sense.

• Better IQ does not mean better threads though. Naji, you're doing the same, all over again...

• This is very similar to a thread you actually made yourself:

• Knowing your program (or programming language) and being creative does help making better games.

The higher your IQ the easier you can use your brain.

This does not mean you can solve a puzzle faster then someone who has a lower IQ. This also applies if you make games

• Hours and trust of yourself make good games. IQ doesn't matter for much else than taking IQ tests.

• What about that guy with like 3 PHDs and 2 doctorates who's making that 4D game

• It's both logic and creativ. You can't scale logic with IQ. IQ is only a test. Analyzing and mixing is really important for me.

• Logic and creativity are not mutualy exclusive. I believe the question is framed wrong. It shouldn't be "abstact vs concrete" but how can those two qualities complement each other? I think the most common misconception that people have is that creativity means artistic, that's not completely true. Creativity is the ability to rethink and/or invent solutions to complex problems, and those problems can be whatever have you: math, music, physics, art, literature etc.

Asking whether a high IQ will help you develop games doesn't really say much because it's an arbitrary number without context outside from the test. Making games require a huge amount of different media that are all interconnected.

• There is no power that is not knowledge.

What you know makes all the difference when trying to produce something good. Research and reference are key

factors in art and design. If you look you will see. Smart games don't come from high IQ they come from taking something that already exists and recycling it. Yes high IQ helps when coming up with clever knacks to your game and most games that already exist have clever knacks so taking influence doesn't hurt. Don't forget you also need chance,luck and flukes which come from....imperfections. The creative mind is flawed by imperfections and the technical mind is flawed by the imperfection of trying to be perfect.

• IQ is a meaningless measure of intelligence. There's no objective way to prove being on one side of a bell curve means you're more intelligent than someone on the other. It's designed to measure the relative intelligence of people with handicaps to the regular population and that's it. Bell curve just means some people are better at the test than others, but not necessarily more creative / knowledgeable than others. The sum of someones experiences don't distill down to a single arbitrary value.

The one thing that'll help you make better games is by studying advanced mathematics and physics, as-well as physical modeling and applied science like engineering. Understanding how computer architecture works is also very important if you want to make games that do complex things. Obviously studying visual arts and principles of animation and sound design and music composition are all equally important to the practice of game development. IQ wont help you, it's not a measure of skills or knowledge ...

• The standardized iq test is usually about detecting patterns in graphic images.

I happen to be quite good at that one (I am Mensa member) and it has helped me much in my sewing pattern creation and similar fields.

But to make games you need knowledge and being good at math and logic. It is not enough just to know how to see patterns in graphics. I can attest to that. (I also hated math in school.. so I do not know much but I will try.. I am also more visual person! math equations make me sleep...)

But if you are *open to absorb* and make effort to read the manual, read the tutorials, open 40+ capx examples to examine them.. Really, time is the important aspect! Do you have time to put hours on learning? If not? Then maybe better not start. Yes you need to learn stuff even for Construct2. Yes it is easier to learn, but you still have to learn some.

Another suggestion is to invest in a good nice pen and paper! Draw, write... write the order of things that should happen. Try to break down in the way a computer would do it. It will make it easier. Also if you have problems with math/logic it helps to write down the numbers, draw graphics.... arrows, pointers.. visual aids!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Another suggestion is to invest in a good nice pen and paper! Draw, write... write the order of things that should happen. Try to break down in the way a computer would do it. It will make it easier. Also if you have problems with math/logic it helps to write down the numbers, draw graphics.... arrows, pointers.. visual aids!

The rest are really good suggestions and this one is as well, but I would like to update it for the 21st century with a suggestion of a decent Android tablet with a stylus - you can save all your notes, you can draw and you can take thousands of those things with you. If you upload to the cloud it'll probably stay with you forever, which sheets of paper rarely do.

• Somebody

It is so true to be better to be in the 21st century, also it save on paper = better for environment (if you do not buy new tablet every year that is.... so the enviroment is really moot point... )

But for me I prefer paper and pen. Everyone are different. I need the feel of the paper and an nice good gel pen. (and a lot of post-it to put by the computer area, bugs to work off ) But if you (general people you) do not mind the tablet, then it is better just by the reasons Somebody mention.

• EDIT- Crazy triple post, sorry

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)