better layout?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
  • What is the best size to start with a layout for new smartphones and ipads?

Because there are some like iphone 4 screen gives problems, and do not want to use "anchor" on thousands of items

• I'd go with something like 1280x720 with Scale inner fullscreen mode. For more information read this tutorial:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/73/sup ... reen-sizes

• The tutorial i read it, but I want someone who has posted a applestore game or google and advise me

Ty

• I have a game with relative sprite placement up on the Google Play Store, you can find the plug for that below.

It generally depends on the type of game that you are developing. My game is using the dimensions: 640, 960 (Scale Outer).

In my experience with relative screen-scaling, simple games like puzzle games for example require scale outer,

since scale inner often tends to cut off sprites on weird screen sizes.

If you plan to do a plattformer for example, scale outer wouldn't be the best solution since it shows more window content.

What this basically means for your audience, if you plan to use scale inner mode:

Bigger screens (more content shown) = Advantage | Smaller screens (less content shown) = Disadvantage.

You have tons of options to relatively design games, you could use:

• Anchor behaviors
    • Startup viewport placement
    • Cut off images with not so important content

I use a combination of everything inside my game, it might not be easy at first glance but once you've figured it out, it's fine.

Letterbox scaling isn't bad either, I'd generally recommend it for desktop (NW.js or non-mobile browser) based games only

but well, it saves a lot of work if you decide to use it. I hope I could help you out, you should wait for more opinions though.

• HTC droid: 480x800

Layout: 480x800 portrait YES

Layout: 800x480 Landscape NO

Scale outer

It's normal not work remain the same size? it is better to create a large layout and then climb down?

• HTC droid: 480x800

Layout: 480x800 portrait YES

Layout: 800x480 Landscape NO

Scale outer

It's normal not work remain the same size? it is better to create a large layout and then climb down?

I recommend you to test it on the device and not using an emulator, it might cause some unexpected problems.

You can also test different screensizes using THIS neat feature that Firefox offers.

• I have only an iPhone and do not have permission to create a file ipa ... I just have these emulators

I am using your size 640, 960 and if you tell me that works on most mobile, I will use that

• I have only an iPhone and do not have permission to create a file ipa ... I just have these emulators

I am using your size 640, 960 and if you tell me that works on most mobile, I will use that

It works if you plan to align sprites relatively using one of the methods I mentioned before.

The engine doesn't do that by itself, so a bit of testing work is needed.

But in terms of quality it will scale nicely for higher resolutions and downscaled sprites will also look great.

• You may find this useful What is the best resolution for mobile game?.

• Thanks

• I'm sorry, the last question ... letterbox worth? It is compatible with mobile?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You may find this useful What is the best resolution for mobile game?.

Yep, working with safezones is also nice and a quiet popular way to do responsive game design.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, It's up to you and your game on what to decide.

I'm sorry, the last question ... letterbox worth? It is compatible with mobile?

All scaling methods work everywhere, unless your device is showing something different than the chosen one.

In that case a bug report would be the best thing to do.

You have to use "Scale Outer" when you export your game. Letterbox scaling is just used in testing to make things easier I assume.

• And is not better "Scale inner? The image is stretched

• And is not better "Scale inner? The image is stretched

Sorry to tell you the following but for me it seems like you have a lot of questions and don't know how the behaviors work.

I recommend you to create another topic in the "How Do I" section with some example files included.

You will receive more detailed help there, feel free to post the link to it below.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)