Bezier Spline Paths? UPDATED for ASHLEY's Brain!!!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Brain Games is a series of challenges, riddles and puzzles.
  • Hey Ashley .....

I was just wandering around today & I was thinking about something that would be 'Amazing' (understatement of the year)

if it is possible to implement..

I would like to see in Construct 2 a new set of Objects

Bezier Path Loop This would be a closed loop comprised of Bezier Curves & nodes

&

Bezier Path Spline This would just be a Bezier Spline with two end node points

A graphical example of what I mean...

The idea would be ..You drag a Bezier Object into the Layout & set its number of nodes & then use drag handles to make the shape you need, and then The Bezier Object would function as a Custom movement path or as easy Solid or Physics Platforms... So each path would need to have built in variables like,

-Number of Nodes(for adjustment)

-Path speed ( the speed at which objects travel along it including Adjustment integration via Events)

other stuff that you might think of..

& also allow the Beziers to be affected by Various Behaviours..say for example....

-Sine (may cause buggy or interesting movements)

-Rotate

-Fade

-Timer

-Solid & Jumpthru Could be a nice feature for building Spline based levels like seen here http://www.simbryocorp.com/Ferr2DTerrain/

Obviously it is not reasonable to expect that all Behaviours would work correctly but whatever does work would be cool...etc

The main purpose of the Bezier Path Objects is to allow any other objects to move along the Bezier object path...at various speeds, accelerations & interpolations etc

Event sheet Conditions for the Objects could include

-On path start,

-On path End,

-On loop complete,(for each time the Object completes one pass of the Loop, collect $200 )

Events could be

-Move Object along Path by Direction...(left or right, clockwise, anti clockwise, whatever)

-Move Object along Path (Fixed Angle)

-Move Object along path (Perpendicular to Spline)

-Reverse Direction of Object movement

-Set Speed of Spline Path

-Set Acceleration of Spline Path

-Stop Object on path (defunct if able to set speed)

-Drop Object off path (or 'Destroy' Bezier)

-Add Object to Path at Node

-etc

Easing Motions along the Beziers Paths would be awesome as well..Maybe added as a Behaviour?....

I know we already have motion tweening and whatnot & that we do have these math functions in C2 ..but this would really add some groovy features if it could be made into a Behaviour ...or set of Behaviours, like

• Quadratic Motion Ease..
    • Linear Motion Ease..
    • Etc

Or perhaps It would be better to build these Motion Eases into the Properties of the Path object

So we could with the click of a button have linear, cubic, circular, sine, quad or exponential interpolations along the spline path...

and even better yet....

Different Interpolations "Between 'each' node of the entire spline path"

ie: between node 1 & 2 you have linear motion & then between 2 & 3 you have exponential...etc

O M G ! ! !

Then,

for Animations and motions....etc... We could do stuff like this

http://www.motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html

with the click of a few buttons..

That would be pure legendary level stuff..

The Interpolations would work out, a little like this, Ashley...if you get what I mean http://gizma.com/easing/

I know its a big Ask...but it would be soooooooo Awesome...

is it doable?

Would love to see this as a permanent feature in Construct 2

What do you think?

• This would be amazing. Many times I wished that this was real. It would be amazing for level design or AI behaviour.

• There is plugin in plugin section that should do that.

• mystazsea ,

Oh man! You sir, are expressing fluently all those thinks that I wish for in my post! And you do that ate the same that I post it. And obviously you haven't read mine just as I read yours now!!! What are the chances?! I think that the stars are telling us that Ashley is actually going to add paths into the beta 181!!!

Well said sir, well said!

• well you know what they say.."great minds thinking" and whatnot...

My bet is that Ashley has already started the process..hehe

Maybe we are all on the same wavelength....Synchronism at work ?

• i totally support this

• megatronx The problem with 3rd party plugins is that you never know when the author is losing his motivation and they get abandoned. I got burned badly by this, so I won't use anything but factory plugins (and my own) for commercial projects.

• I didn't check, if Megatronx is right. But assuming, there is a plugin that does all that is asked for here:

You would already have a solution to work with, but ignore it, just because it wasn't done by Ashley? While that is a great compliment showing the trust in Ashley, it isn't very fair to all those 3rd party plugs, is it? I mean, if the plug works now, is offered for free in the plugs section and you're now needing it, why hesitating? Has anyone hesitated to buy a smartphone, although knowing that it won't work with future standards (just think of LTE)?

• I didn't check, if Megatronx is right. But assuming, there is a plugin that does all that is asked for here:

You would already have a solution to work with, but ignore it, just because it wasn't done by Ashley? While that is a great compliment showing the trust in Ashley, it isn't very fair to all those 3rd party plugs, is it? I mean, if the plug works now, is offered for free in the plugs section and you're now needing it, why hesitating? Has anyone hesitated to buy a smartphone, although knowing that it won't work with future standards (just think of LTE)?

Different situation, he's not an end-user, he's a developer. He might be developing a game he's going to sell, and if you're going to ship a product reliant on third-party components that may give up at any time and be unsupported, therefore, potentially making any game-breaking bugs irreparable... then you see the potential issue. Combine that with the fact that Eisenhans did suffer something similar judging by his wording, his avoidance is completely validated. If they hadn't experienced a set-back, loss or massive stress (or all of the above), avoiding third-party plug-ins because of a 'just-in-case' notion is still not a bad thing. Concern and caution are good measures to take.

• mystazsea well, in this case, I hope that it is quantum entanglement in all it's "spooky action at a distance" glory!

megatronx , If you are referring to the SplinePath, it looks to me that it does just the basic stuff and it's only controllable through events. Mystazsea describes in every detail an implementation of a spline tool that will be very useful and easy to use.

• supporting this request, happening to be in need of that actually!

been looking into the 3rd party solutions but those aren't as flexible as I'd need them to be.

• Different situation, he's not an end-user, he's a developer. He might be developing a game he's going to sell, and if you're going to ship a product reliant on third-party components that may give up at any time and be unsupported, therefore, potentially making any game-breaking bugs irreparable... then you see the potential issue.

Different situation, bezier spline paths are just a matter of simple maths. So simple, that only +,- and * are involved. As a developer you could do this easily on your own, just using events and functions (see another spline example done with events and functions and simple math in the old Construct Classic). So any plugin offering spline paths that work right now, will also work in 10 years (if C2 still exists then).

If they hadn't experienced a set-back, loss or massive stress (or all of the above), avoiding third-party plug-ins because of a 'just-in-case' notion is still not a bad thing. Concern and caution are good measures to take.

I sincerely hope it's the minority that thinks this way, because else it will be the end of a community sharing platform. Why should anyone of those 3rd party developers still invest their time and work so hard to help other developers getting faster to their goals, if nobody wants to use their offers? Or maybe they should just charge for it? Cause often times people think they get better quality when paying for a product.

• I sincerely hope it's the minority that thinks this way, because else it will be the end of a community sharing platform. Why should anyone of those 3rd party developers still invest their time and work so hard to help other developers getting faster to their goals, if nobody wants to use their offers? Or maybe they should just charge for it? Cause often times people think they get better quality when paying for a product.

I agree with that viewpoint as well, but you can't deny there's a place for both risk and caution when it comes to using and/or buying third-party plug-ins. Just as people shouldn't 100% stop using third-party plug-ins, they shouldn't dive 100% into using every one that is developed. It depends on the person, their situation and their personality. Since you put forward the pro statement, I just put down a con, I wasn't saying caution overruled using any third-party plug-ins as a blanket statement, .

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • megatronx , If you are referring to the SplinePath, it looks to me that it does just the basic stuff and it's only controllable through events. Mystazsea describes in every detail an implementation of a spline tool that will be very useful and easy to use.

I made one myself trough events And yes, it is visual. It's not that difficult to make.

Eisenhans That's fair enough.

• I agree with that viewpoint as well, but you can't deny there's a place for both risk and caution when it comes to using and/or buying third-party plug-ins. Just as people shouldn't 100% stop using third-party plug-ins, they shouldn't dive 100% into using every one that is developed. It depends on the person, their situation and their personality. Since you put forward the pro statement, I just put down a con, I wasn't saying caution overruled using any third-party plug-ins as a blanket statement, .

True, nobody should just take whatever plugin there is, or at least be aware that not all of them will be working forever (especially those, that access browser functions and the like). So I agree to this quote completely.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)