Bezier Spline Paths? UPDATED for ASHLEY's Brain!!!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

not a plug-in but.....

....sparkly (cubic) bezier requested ?

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/other-games/bezier-14193

its only one section but could be used to generate waypoints if you want
happy to upload capx anyone wants.

its quite CPU intensive to increase the number of nodes on a bezier though usually you would just join 2 or more cubics.

there are , I think better, ways to do curves/paths though, like the (more commonly used in games) catmull-rom splines
or even just hand draw them by generating a waypoints at distance/intervals under mouse pointer or touch

there is a really good capx demo on here somewhere for the catmull-rom splines generating waypoints ill update later if I can find.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Interesting and nice example.
It's not impossible but obviously not the easiest thing to do.
I mean a lot of us we are here because we suck at coding. It will be easier (and faster) to have a visual way of doing it.
I'm not really concerned about the tech underneath tbh on how its done - obviously needs to be fast. As long as we can get that functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bnqXVem6s

Other engines basically all have it. Fusion, GM,Unity etc I don't understand why it's such an issue for Construct to have it. even though a lot of people in the past -since 2013 - have asked for on numerous occasions. Is it something with Construct being HTML5 again?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:34 pm

The main reason for its rejection is that there wasn't a way to add paths using the editor.
C3 was to solve that issue.
On the other hand, the need to edit paths in editor is isn't actually as important as being able to create, or change paths at runtime.
Rex has a spline plug that handles this quite well.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:04 pm

@Havok

Im not a maths guru or programmer but I found it really beneficial learning how to do this in events and actions myself. Forced me to learn to use things like functions and arrays which in turn enabled me to start implementing far more deeper, interesting, mechanics in my game than I had previously envisioned. (well, as deep as it gets for a Shmup)…..what Im trying to say is that sometimes it can be a good thing not having plug ins for everything. Not saying that a curve plug in wouldn’t be awesome though.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Yeah I hear you @NetOne. You make a good point. I'm certainly not averse to learning. Just would make a useful time saving feature found in other engines. Just a pity that it does nt exist in Construct.
When the time comes I'll have to dig in to these kinds of things.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General