Biim.Games my website made entirely with Construct 2

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Great concept ... Just runs incredibly slow on mobile.

Took like 30 seconds to make it half way the screen.
Perhaps try and apply delta time for movement and such.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

@Ratmaster thank, I have plans to do other improvements but I am still waiting to see if other people leaves more feedback before progressing. How is your experience with battle and player creation? Is it clear how it works? I know I have still to improve and there are some bugs as well.

I am glad you like The Outermost Bastion :)

About the difficulty I try to follow this scheme as normally is used in most games to create alternation between challenging moments and powerful-feeling moments.

The difficulty also depends on the randomisation of the levels and the upgrades that you have done until that moment. Finally the first 20 levels (the one you can play) are meant to be a sort of tutorial, while after you move on on different territory and will have to start from zero, having new enemies and different upgrades.

Thank you @lennaert, yes at this stage I am running the game at that speed for 2 reasons:

1 - Give time to the occasional visitor to understand how to move and that they are in a website game and not a normal website. Otherwise they might just die straight away continuously.

2 - During the visit you will have to create the character at the first location, there your characteristics are rolled and the speed can go up a lot. Even a just single +1 gives lot of difference. Also in the games there are drops and secrets items giving different bonuses, included speed raising.

Did you manage to create your character or you just avoid the mushrooms and moved until the end of the stage without visiting any location?

EDIT:
Sorry, I don't know if it is possible to resize the image. Here is a link to see it properly:
http://refractedpixel.com/indiedevstories/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/flow-channel1.png
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 am

Actually ... after 30 seconds just making halfway the screen I closed it ....

I've been a web developer for a long time (ciw master designer), and one of the basics is that when visiting a page, no matter how pretty or stunning it looks, if a visitor does not find what he is looking for within a couple of seconds, or is not entertained/interested within moments of visiting, they will leave quickly. (generally hitting page back)

Not to mention there was no guidance or intro as to possibilities ..... it took me ten seconds to even see that it was my player that actually moved :P
Seeing the player move that slow; quickly made me loose interest, as the prospect of waiting a couple minutes more with slow moving before getting anywhere ... bored the hell out of me. ^_^ Nothing personal, just conveying my experience.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:07 am

@biim about fighting and player creation it's kind of confused, I agree with @lennaert there is no explanation in the beginning, so you don't know what to do. For example you don't know if you can touch enemies or not (in some games when touching enemies you enter a turn-based fight) Also I think it's a bad idea to put the character "creation" AFTER the first enemies because in this case you can't fight back... Also, doors are a pain in the ass to open, and it's even worse when killing mushrooms are stalking you... If I didn't want to spend time on this to help you I would have closed it too ^^' (And the first time I used arrow keys to control the character, and I couldn't even open the door >_<'
And I'm still not sure how fight really work, there are dices, someone dies and someone doesn't, that's it ^^'

About the difficulty in The Outermost Bastion : it felt more like this to me :
With big difficulty spikes at times, and some kind or boring moments at time because really too easy. Also, it's kind of frustrating that the "cut a tree" is useless because you could just destroy them with a boulder :-/
Hello !

I'm Steven, a 24 years old French graphic designer and programmer, and it's been 4 years since I started using Construct 2.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:20 am

@lennaert and @Ratmaster thank you for your feedback.

Don't worry about pointing out the problems, since this is what I need, otherwise what's the point of this forum section? :-)

I will work to increase a faster first impact impression and trying to bring people faster to player's creation and battle explanation

About the battle system, would you prefer to have an active direct control of the battle as an arcade game or do you think a RPG chance is better (similarly to how it is now)? At first I thought about giving just speed to the player and let him dodge the enemies, then the idea changed preferring to give prizes for visitor that actually visit the various game, that's why I added the RPG style. So the option now is to be more a action/RPG where the player maybe have to click on the enemy to attack it or just let the CPU roll the dice for you.

What do you think?

Thank you!

About The Outermost Bastion, I am working in a new version were trees have different dimensions and resistance towards boulders. Now the first NPC are coming in play and getting some of them change the cost of give different advantages. For example the first one reduce the cost of cutting to only 1 resource point. Cutting the right tree is important according to the strategy but it really depends how the map is randomised. It is meant to be an optional resource to use, not a step that must be done to unlock something.
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:16 am

@Biim Personally I would prefer an active control on the battle, because right now I'm not sure what's happening, I just know there are dices but that's it ^^

Having trees that resist to boulders would be a great idea ^^
Right now I think the easiest way to win is to upgrade weapons first, destroy every single tree with boulders a soon as you can so enemies can't hide, and then regen / upgrade health :-p
Hello !

I'm Steven, a 24 years old French graphic designer and programmer, and it's been 4 years since I started using Construct 2.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:44 am

@Ratmaster Thanks I will think about it, I am trying to solve another issue in the meantime and then I will go back to that :-)

Yes, the trees can still be knoked down but the more trees you hit the more it slow down the boulder and the largest tree slow it down much more. In the new version the boulder might stay easily in the battle field and you can hit it again with another one making them crack and scatter around pieces of stone that injure enemies (and friends too). Also the catapult now works differently, the more you hold down the attack button, the more it flies up and then only when released it starts to follow. This let you avoid to hit some trees or attack enemies far away.
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:42 am

@Biim Nice ideas :-)
Hello !

B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests