Black bar and missing portion of game on iPhone

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Problem Description
When a game with the fullscreen mode set to "Letterbox scale" is played in landscape orientation in the Safari browser on an iPhone 4 running iOS 6, an empty black bar appears at the top of the game, and a portion at the bottom of the game that is equivalent in size to that black bar doesn't show on screen.

Attach a Capx

Description of Capx
The attached Capx file is a very simple application made with Construct that can be run in Safari on an iPhone to recreate the issue. A picture of what appears on the screen when that issue occurs is also attached.

Steps to Reproduce Bug
  • Step 1
  • Step 2
  • Step 3 etc.

Observed Result
____ What happens? ____

Expected Result
____ What do you expect to happen? ____

Affected Browsers
  • Safari (iOS 6): (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack
iOS 6

Construct 2 Version ID
Construct 2 r184
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Closing as won't fix, we don't support iOS 6 any more. Why not update your phone to iOS 7.1?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:31 pm

I heard there are retrocompatibility issues the moment you upgrade to iOS 7 (the kind of things a company does to keep you dependant, so I heard), hence why a couple people around me won't upgrade. That isn't my phone anyway, I'm only testing on it.

Does the black bar issue disappear when you get iOS 7 ? Or are you stuck with an address bar that prevents you from playing games in fullscreen anyway?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 pm

iOS 7 has better fullscreen support (with minimal-ui), although they ended up removing it in iOS 8 (which you can't get on the iPhone 4, only iPhone 4S+). If you choose not to upgrade then you're also choosing to be left behind from other software support - I'd really recommend you stay up to date. BTW these days you can buy $99 phones unlocked that outperform the iPhone 4 by double or triple... consider upgrading!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:27 pm

But if in the end people soon won't be able to play games fullscreen, I have to take that in mind when designing them. Thanks for the info.
B
S
G

Return to Closed bugs