BlackBerry 10 and Construct 2

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:43 am

For the sounds people were having issues with the volume going full blast. check out this post http://www.scirra.com/forum/blackberrymax-sound-volume-bug_topic57633.html it seems to be a common complaint.

Im not sure if the latest updates to the OS fixed some of these things. As for using other file types looking at this forum post a member changed to file type but it was giving him the same problem. again im not sure if the latest OS update has fixed these things. you can see a post on it here

http://www.scirra.com/forum/blackberry-playbook-html5-built-game-volume-issue_topic50692.html

hope that helps out a bit ronval2012-11-27 01:43:52
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 pm

@ronval: I appreciate the information on that. I'll put together some tests on my end to see if we can produce this with the latest BlackBerry 10 system, and if so will raise it with our development teams for further investigation.

If there's any additional feedback from the community, please don't hesitate in sharing. As noted, I want to ensure as many obstacles as possible are removed for this community.
B
S

Post » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks ronval told me here.

On Playbook:

1.As Ashley said, naming issue is annoying.
Symbols/Space limitation make things harder from game making to packaging.

2.WebGL not supported.
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/TEXT-object-cause-black-screen-after-OS-2-1-0-1032/td-p/1938303

3.Blackberry Graphical Aid is not a reliable tool, same as Ripple.
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Can-t-build-Bar-from-zip-by-Blackberry-Graphical-Aid/td-p/1861711

4.By the webwork tutorial I've followed, I think BB10 and PlaybookOS are not the same structure of development. The SDK I have to download for Playbook is different to the SDK for BB10beta. When the resolution of BB10 and Playbook are very different, It's not easy to make a game once and publish to both BB10 and Playbook; and I am not sure WaterlooErik's plugin work will help both BB10 phone and Playbook, or only BB10 phone?

Last week I got paid from RIM,
compared with iOS/Android/Win8, the paying speed is amazing.
However, with the problems above,
I am very sorry to get those money by a game lack of minimum standard performance.

B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:44 pm

@gonzdevour

Perhaps that's why I haven't seen the symbols/space issue, I've been building with the BlackBerry 10 SDK. I'll double check on the latest PlayBook SDK, though I can't guarantee an update would be possible as essentially all development efforts are on BlackBerry 10 nowadays. If the fix is small, perhaps it could be added in.

I'll have to take a closer look at the WebGL issue; WebGL as a whole is definitely supported on the PlayBook platform, however if there is a component that is breaking WebGL, that's something that we'd need to escalate to our development teams to have fixed. Have you by chance already submitted a bug report on this to the development teams?

For Ripple, if you're still seeing issues, please fire me an email to eoros@rim.com and we can work together to get it working properly. I can set up a phone call if you like too and we can talk it out. Are you using the standalone Ripple installation? The standalone was EOL'd a while back and isn't maintained anymore. The recommended Ripple currently is the Chrome Extension version 0.9.10. There are a few things we need to double-check to get the default localhost working, which I'd be happy to work with you on. Alternatively, a local web server is what I generally recommend.

While there are two separate SDKs for PlayBook and BlackBerry 10, this is because PlayBook applications exist within an AIR container, and BlackBerry 10 applications are HTML5 that hook directly into native (C/C++). There are some API changes, and some config.xml changes, but overall the process and structure should be very similar.

I agree that screen resolutions can be a nightmare to manage, which is why we've standardized our touch-screen devices to 1280x720 and keyboard devices to 720x720 moving forward. There will still be some adaptation required, but you shouldn't need to make these adjustments with every new device launch as was the case in the past.

Any plugins created will target BlackBerry 10 first, with the potential for PlayBook. Since the PlayBook is going to be upgradable to BlackBerry 10 eventually anyways, the tradeoff between effort and importance comes into play.
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 am

[QUOTE=WaterlooErik]
Perhaps that's why I haven't seen the symbols/space issue, I've been building with the BlackBerry 10 SDK. I'll double check on the latest PlayBook SDK, though I can't guarantee an update would be possible as essentially all development efforts are on BlackBerry 10 nowadays. If the fix is small, perhaps it could be added in.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[QUOTE=WaterlooErik]
I'll have to take a closer look at the WebGL issue; WebGL as a whole is definitely supported on the PlayBook platform, however if there is a component that is breaking WebGL, that's something that we'd need to escalate to our development teams to have fixed. Have you by chance already submitted a bug report on this to the development teams?
[/QUOTE]

Yes. I 've sent a zip not only to the development teams,
but also to an Application Development Consultant Mr.Wong in RIM HK.

However, maybe it's hard to discover what happened by the zip,
I think the C2 exported files are not simple enough to debug.
If you are trying C2, just put a text object and turn WebGL on/off to see what happened in .bar.

I am not sure if this issue fixed. It's about a month ago and I found Playbook OS has updated.

[QUOTE=WaterlooErik]
For Ripple, if you're still seeing issues, please fire me an email to eoros@rim.com and we can work together to get it working properly. I can set up a phone call if you like too and we can talk it out. Are you using the standalone Ripple installation? The standalone was EOL'd a while back and isn't maintained anymore. The recommended Ripple currently is the Chrome Extension version 0.9.10. There are a few things we need to double-check to get the default localhost working, which I'd be happy to work with you on. Alternatively, a local web server is what I generally recommend.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, you are kind.
I am using command line to ensure all things worked and pop out the real reason if error,
It's enough for me right now, but I think a much more friendly Ripple is necessary.

[QUOTE=WaterlooErik]
While there are two separate SDKs for PlayBook and BlackBerry 10, this is because PlayBook applications exist within an AIR container, and BlackBerry 10 applications are HTML5 that hook directly into native (C/C++). There are some API changes, and some config.xml changes, but overall the process and structure should be very similar.
[/QUOTE]

Got it. If there're plugins and exporter to deal config and API integration,
It will be a great inducement for C2ers to try RIM platform.

[QUOTE=WaterlooErik]
I agree that screen resolutions can be a nightmare to manage, which is why we've standardized our touch-screen devices to 1280x720 and keyboard devices to 720x720 moving forward. There will still be some adaptation required, but you shouldn't need to make these adjustments with every new device launch as was the case in the past.
[/QUOTE]

While iPhone5 and Win8 makes their screen 16:9,
I think 1280x720 is a nice idea. It helps the developers easier to make cross-platform plans.

[QUOTE=WaterlooErik]
Any plugins created will target BlackBerry 10 first, with the potential for PlayBook. Since the PlayBook is going to be upgradable to BlackBerry 10 eventually anyways, the tradeoff between effort and importance comes into play.[/QUOTE]

Playbook is an old guy........but I can understand that RIM has no superiority to join the Arm Race.
As a game constructor, what we need is a platform with 60 fps for all the game genre.
Hope BB10's software acceleration can make it with HTML5.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I appreciate the great feedback @gonzdevour.

Regarding spaces ( ), hyphens (-), and underscores (_), I ran a quick test on the WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS 2.2.0.5 and BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8.

WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS 2.2.0.5
* spaces: packaging failed.
* hyphens: packaging succeeded.
* underscores: packaging succeeded

BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8
* spaces: packaging succeeded.
* hyphens: packaging succeeded.
* underscores: packaging succeeded

The test was done with a ZIP file containing an index.html, config.xml, and three TXT files (this has spaces.txt, this_has_underscores.txt, and this-has-hyphens.txt).

Seems we're in a slightly better state regarding these limitations with BlackBerry 10. Do we feel that spaces are something that should be looked at being permitted? I cringe a little at spaces myself, but if there's a consensus for 'yes', then I'll push it to our WebWorks packager teams.

Regarding WebGL + Text, do you simply mean the Enable WebGL property for a project? I'm assuming so, and will run some tests on that here. I'll also reach out to Mr. Wong (likely Alan Wong?) to see if he has any insight on the files you sent him originally.

And by all means keep the feedback coming. I'm trying to stay on top of everything but if any question's gone un-addressed, don't be afraid to follow-up. I certainly don't mean to avoid any questions, just sometimes things slip past me :-)
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Regarding WebGL, Text Objects, and PlayBook, I just want to confirm that I am testing this appropriately.

I created a new Construct 2 project and performed:
Insert new object > General > Text > Insert

I edited the text value to be WebGL is enabled. and ensured that on the root Project object, Enable WebGL was On.

I then exported as HTML5, created my own basic config.xml, and leveraged the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS 2.2.0.5 to create webglon.bar.

I then repeated the process but instead the text says WebGL is disabled. and the Project object has Enable WebGL set to Off; thus creating webgloff.bar

I loaded both BAR files onto my PlayBook (2.1.0.1088) and launched each. If I'm understanding correctly, webglon should fail in displaying the Text object and webgloff should succeed in displaying the Text object; is that right?

In my results, I'm actually seeing both Text objects render just fine, but I want to ensure this actually encapsulates the issue at hand.

For reference, the two files can be downloaded here.
webglon.bar https://www.box.com/s/ytdf0qbh9eprd8ffort3
webgloff.bar https://www.box.com/s/jaus3uf2rctoajyt41pq

If the above test case is valid, I'll also perform the tests on BlackBerry 10. Also, if you have a BAR file you want to send me for testing, I'd be happy to do so as well (just as a sanity check whether the issue is actually still there.)
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 pm

One last note, I pulled the failing BrickBreaker sample from http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/TEXT-object-cause-black-screen-after-OS-2-1-0-1032/td-p/1938303 and packaged/deployed to my PlayBook (2.1.0.1088) and definitely saw some issues (and some potential issues):
* As I was playing, the rendered area kept growing larger. Not sure if that was intentional.
* After playing for ~20 seconds, the screen went black.

The timing of the screen going black appears related to the growing play area. I did not come across any large volume increase though (it was always around 50% volume.)

That being said, I clicked through / failed a few times without any issues beyond the growing play area / eventual black screen.

Are these the issues in question?
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

@WaterlooErik: you probably should use only a single text object in your test, and set its text value to the system expression "renderer".
This way the text will display no matter what, but its content should vary between "canvas2D" and "webGL" depending on the current renderer.

New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Ah, I thought there might be something like that available. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: New BAR files with the recommended Text object implementation:

webglon.bar https://www.box.com/s/ytdf0qbh9eprd8ffort3
webgloff.bar https://www.box.com/s/jaus3uf2rctoajyt41pq

I also added some particle animations and *think* webgl is running a bit more smoothly (but maybe it's just my eyes seeing what they want to see.) :-)WaterlooErik2012-12-04 22:37:41
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic