Bleeding Fingers Contest

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm sorry for my absence in the last weeks. Part of the reason was a competition for composers that I entered; the "Beeding Fingers Contest".

And that's why I need your help. I made two totally different compositions from the original, and now I just can't decide which one to prefer. I read in the rules that one may submit more than one composition. But in my thinking, if you submit 2 bad compositions, you have no chance, and if you submit one good and one horrible composition, you could also reduce your chances.

Please take the time for the following:

1. Listen to the original by Hans Zimmer
  2. Read this pragraph from the contest page:
    "Calling all composers! This original theme called "Destiny's Door" created exclusively for this contest by Mr. Zimmer himself is yours to reimagine, replay, recompose or revise to your hearts content. Below youll find a link to the theme plus everything you need to get the creative juices flowing. Were looking for originality, curveballs and adventurous amphonics. "
  3. Listen to my compositions:
    Destiny's Door (melancholic mix)
    Destiny's Door (extreme mix)
  4. Vote in this poll for one, both or none of them

All of the above only valid until February 19, the last day to enter the competition! So just make it right now ;)

Thank you so much for helping me!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:28 am

Voted for melancholic mix. Extreme have to many panning sounds for my test and it fells very chaotic.
Good luck! :)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:40 am

Thank you for helping me out @shinkan, and also thanks to and4d, the comments help me too.

Any more people willing to help? (It's only 2 days, so I have to rush it, sorry)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 pm

You're welcome :)

What's your favourite?
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Only just saw this post, so I hope I'm not too late!

Like shinkan & AnD4D, I preferred the classical feel and emotional strength of the melancholic mix!

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)Blacksmith2014-02-17 13:25:42
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:47 pm

Melancholic.I like the smooth feel
Extreme seemed to encircle my head
I will not let you reach the sisters
Nature Forums
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks for taking the time and helping me out!

[QUOTE=AnD4D]What's your favourite?[/QUOTE] @AnD4D You see, that's the problem. I'm indecisive. I really like both. I started with the melacholic mix, wanted to keep close to the original, but bring in a more sad feel (which is very hard when trying to keep the original, written in D major. major = positive ). It was the title, destiny's door. In my understanding, destiny always has two sides: It can bring you the luckiest day in your life - or the saddest tragedy.

When I was done with it, I couldn't forget that simple sentence: "Were looking for originality, curveballs and adventurous amphonics."

I started thinking that I may have been too conventional. How original, how adventurous is the melancholic mix? So I went back to start and freed me from any conventional thinking. I started with the wobbling bass line, created from a simple fm synth sound, heavily edited with diversionFX. Then I took the trumpet stem from the original, again crunching it through diversionFX. Another day went into the glitch editing of the solo voice stem. No boundaries, I said to myself, go as wild as you can.

And there I am: two totally different compositions, both with much of myself in them. I just love them both, like a mother loves her children, no matter what.

[QUOTE=Blacksmith]Good luck, let us know how it goes :)[/QUOTE] @Blacksmith I will. But to be honest, I don't expect to come far. I'm more interested in giving the best I can. I want to lay back and follow the contest with the thinking that whatever happens it's not that I'm bad. Others just are better.

[QUOTE=Doc Ai]Extreme seemed to encircle my head[/QUOTE] I'm surprised. Are there no glitch fans among us scirrans?

Please keep on helping by voting! Thank you
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Anyone?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Almost 300 views, but only 4 people were willing to help. This community used to be a lot more helpful in the past. Those days are gone, I assume.

I decided to take the risk and submitted both tracks. You can see them here (melancholic mix) and here (extreme mix)

On those Bleeding Fingers pages you can vote, like, dislike and comment. Would you do that?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 pm

I can't open "http://www.hanszimmerwantsyou.com/" site, is it working fine for you?!
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic