Blight - Out Now!

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 pm

I've got a Kickstarter going for this project, and I hope you might be able to help out! I really want to see this game through to completion, and I want people to play it. Anything helps, and it helps get another Construct-made game out into the public eye! This is a fantastic tool (as will be Construct 2), and I'm quite glad for the dedicated developers.

Give it a look, and check out some new screenshots on the website for the game:
Blight - Official SiteC-72011-07-08 19:44:43
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 am

My project is over 15% funded thus far, so thank you for anyone who gave it a look! I've implemented all of the abilities, overhauled the player animations (some tweaking to do, as always), added a new enemy type, better optimized things, and I have a 3-level demo available. Check it out here: Sorry, the demo period has expired

Keyboard:
A/D or Left/Right for movement
W or Up for jump
Down for special
Enter for menu selections and pause

(mirrors a controller a bit)

Xbox 360 pad:
D-pad for movement
A for jump (should also be menu selections)
Right Shoulder for special
D-pad

• Supports Keyboard and Xbox 360 controller currently.

• This is a 3-level demo (each level has two longer segments). These are the first 3 levels of the game, excluding brief tutorial stage and story elements.

• The floating enemies will be mobile (vertically) and will have fire particles, but for now they just exist. They are also unaffected by the forward shield yet, but otherwise functioning.

• You can hold down the right trigger on a 360 pad to spam the forward shield--that'll get fixed in future builds.

• You might run into a camera glitch on loads occasionally that just leaves the screen one color. Sorry, just restart it.

• This demo is windowed so sites and blogs would have an easier time with screenshotting, but the final version will be fullscreen.

• This demo is locked at 1280x720. There is a lower resolution version working, but it has a higher volume of bugs so the option isn't included. You'll need a moderate PC to run the game, but it does quite well on my 7900GS, Pentium D machine.

• The sign text will be better.

• The falling/jumping animations are not complete.

Let me know what you think, what you like, what you don't like.

Sorry, the demo period has expiredC-72011-08-20 08:17:01
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:49 pm

It looks awesome, but there is one thing which bothered me. The fact that in some cases, the blocks you can walk on seem like part of the back/fore-ground being the same tint/color/contrast. They might need something to stand out a bit more, perhaps darkening them just a tad bit might do the trick. Or maybe outline the parts you can walk on a bit more (lights N shadows). There were a few areas where I thought I could jump on a block, while it was part of the background

The footstep sounds might need a random picker instead of the constant pattern. And when you jump on an enemy and bounce back up, you also make the jump sound (not sure if this is working as intended). Other then that the demo ran at a constant 60FPS, when running the game:

Level 1: ~17-20% CPU (320Mb Mem Usage)
Level 2: Starting out at 20% CPU going down to around 5% the further I got towards the end (420Mb Mem Usage)
Level 3: After level 2 was completed, I got send back to the main screen.

Also I found two collision bugs in level 2, there's an enemy you can bypass while walking trough it down a slope. Apparently it doesn't detect the hit when going down this particular slope. It's the fourth walking knight guy in level 2.

The second collision trouble is when you walk back up the hill, towards the start in level 2. You get stuck when moving left and have to jump to get over this invisible snag point

Here are my specs:

Intel C2D E6420 @ 2,4Ghz 1200FSB
2Gb OCZ PC-6400 @ 900Mhz
HD4850 512Mb PCI-E
Asus P5B Motherboard
Creative Audigy 2 & Asus HD Audio
Windows XP Pro Sp3

Good stuff, keep it up and you've got yourself a winner! Oh and the grass is looking damn good Kouji San2011-07-22 18:35:38
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 am

Thank you so much for playing and commenting! The sounds are all just kind of there for now--more attention will go into that at a later time. I'll check out the collision stuff for sure. I also do agree about background differentiation problems. All things to get to, thanks.

You may've been confused on the levels... Each level has two parts (two layouts). There will be checkpoint flags there, etc. Maybe that ends up being too long for a level, but I wanted them more journey-like. So there might be much more to the game than you got to see! Unless I missed a bug. Regardless, thank you so very much for playing and commenting!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Ah I see, I assumed the W and S buttons or the mouse had to be used to select those main menu level buttons. And as a result I thought they were locked, only unlockable by playing trough the levels.

That and I might have it mixed up with how Mario does it, as they do things as follows:

World 1 (level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4)

I shall have a look at the other two levels (worlds :P), now that I can select the buttons (arrow keys)Kouji San2011-07-24 17:25:08
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:28 am

Wow! Cool! It is necessary to download!Woltermag2011-07-27 09:29:50
B
G

Post » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi, I've played it on a laptop and pity it's slow, it looks good. I'd guess <30fps, Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz, GeForce 9300M GS 256MB, 3Gb RAM. I'll have to wait for the lowres version.
When I run right or left and than press the arrow in opposite direction, there is a frame where the character stands still, than the animation runs correctly. It's just a split second. Maybe, after running is finnished there could be a slight delay before he returns into the still pose.
In the level 2-2, I couldn't get to the end, there are two points where I couldn't jump on. First is after the start, go right, than up and than there are small platforms. I can jump first one but not second. And the second point is from first point to the far left, after clouds, can't get any higher. It looks like I'm missing just few pixels to get there. What I'm dooing wrong?
I found a bug in the menu. In the game, when I press Esc, to get to the menu, then select Exit, I'll get back to the game, than press Esc again and in the menu select Options, the game crashes and I got runtime error.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:59 am

[QUOTE=Noga] Hi, I've played it on a laptop and pity it's slow, it looks good. I'd guess <30fps, Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz, GeForce 9300M GS 256MB, 3Gb RAM. I'll have to wait for the lowres version.[/QUOTE]I ran into the same speed issues which unfortunately made the whole thing quite unplayable (jump delay being the most unfortunate). I'm also using a laptop, AMD thingamajiggy 2.3ghz, ATI Radeon 3200 1918MB, 4gb RAM. I'm guessing the blur-depth effects are the cause.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:33 pm

-Thank you Woltermag!

@Noga: That's strange. I would assume the jump variances are linked with the performance issues. But you have better specs than I do, save for maybe the mobile version of your video not being ass efficient? It's possible you may be on a powersaver mode, too. Either way, I'll see what I can work out. And the menu is barely even there--it will crash for a while longer until I get in an make it all.

@Bespectacled: Again, you have better specs than me, but a laptop is in common between the two of you. I'll see if the blurring really makes that huge of a difference for performance (the plan was to have it disableable in the menu anyways).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Maybe it's an idea to instead blur the sprites in your editing program instead. It will then up the memory usage, but decrease the calculations (blur seems quite expensive, especially with bigger sprites).

I'm not sure which would have a bigger impact on performance... It's at least something worth trying :)Kouji San2011-08-01 18:57:58
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations