Blitz Breaker - OUT NOW ON STEAM / ITCH.IO / HUMBLE STORE

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:16 pm

While i saw the mechanic before, your style is a lot better, and the idea of using it with a sweep for mobiles is great. I love the graphics!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:03 am

ByR wrote:While i saw the mechanic before, your style is a lot better, and the idea of using it with a sweep for mobiles is great. I love the graphics!

Thank you, appreciate the compliment.

About to go on days off so one last WIP to throw out for now. Tightened up the text a bit and got a rough draft of the logo, I decided I'm gonna stick with Blitz Breaker. It just rolls off my tongue better.

It's a good thing I'm gonna get the time off, I'm kind of at the point where I'm not sure what to focus on and I don't want to burn out. I think I'm gonna focus on getting the base art done so I can throw together an alpha on Google Play come January / February.

Does anyone here have any experience with that?

Anyways, I'm out for now. Cheers everyone! Thanks for looking + commenting!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Message: blekdar can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
Wall of text warning, theories and pics discussed. Much talk, wow.

I'm back after some silence.

Having a lot of fun actually too, learning lots, experimenting lots. Got a couple pages of level ideas written down. I am enjoying this project quite a bit.

So, what's new. Well most of what I've been working on isn't really visual. A lot of menu stuff, some minor art additions (with even more placement art).

Here's a good comparison of the difference in speed I am trying to achieve. I got two levels, one requires more patience while the other is 'oh god move as fast as you can why aren't you moving faster!?' type levels.

Slow:

Fast:

Like I said, lot's of little things added. I have slightly changed the screen transition from a sudden shift to a very quick scroll. I found the original was kind of jarring, but a slow transition would mess with your reaction time. Also, screen shake has been added. There is a very slight one when you hit a regular wall, but a more noticeable one upon breaking something or getting a speed star at the end of the level. I found just this little bit of shake removes some of the static feeling the levels can give, plus I do enjoy a good screen shake.

There is also minor improvements to the menu, but it is largely unfinished. The level select system is made, but that's about it. Also, I have added a sort of special item (think of the bandages a la Super Meat Boy), where you can unlock secrets if enough of them are collected (downloadable stuff, maybe a secret character, more game modes, who knows)

Now, for some theory talk. Since this is primarily aimed as a mobile game, one of the things I keep trying to focus on is simplicity. While I don't want this game to feel overly complicated, I do want it to stay fresh feeling and intuitive. For the title menu, I have been throwing around the idea of having a 'Quick Resume' button which starts the game at the level where you left off. I like the idea, but I am not sure where to go to when the game is completed? It'd be great for the first playthrough, but after that it gets kind of hazey.

As I mentioned earlier, there are lots of little ideas I have been playing with. I prefer to introduce a few concepts and types of gameplay in each world (Worlds are broken into 9 short levels), and like to expand upon them in the subsequent worlds. Most of these things so far involve stuff that kills you. Recently I have also been tossing the ideas of methods to temporarily change how the movement is handled. The ideas I have been shooting are:

Mini-portals: Takes you a short distance through a wall or through hazards
Stick pads: Instead of bouncing off the wall, the player treats that wall as though it were the floor. The next jump fixes this.
Gravity switch: Switches gravity until another button is pressed. I am less sure about this one.
Launchers: Deflects the player in a specific direction, normally to somewhere the player cannot reach. Or to death, that can happen to.
Light switches: Makes the world go dark. This would more likely happen at the start of a level. There would also be lamps to guide the player. Less sure of this one too.

So, trying to keep it simple and fresh seem to be quite the task. I know lot's of games have pulled it off. Find out what works and what doesn't is half the fun  

Well on that note, I will also announce some good news! Since I suck at making music and sounds, I have partnered with a duo who will do it for me! It's the lovely gentlemen over at http://www.fatbardmusic.com/ So, as a result you guys may get to her some sweet jams in the near future. Huzzah!

So, as always feel free to comment / critique / tell me about your week (I'm serious, everyone needs to vent) / or just say whatever. I'm open.

Cheers, thanks for stopping by!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:21 pm

I love it so much, i want to steal your project :D Nice graphics, great idea. Keep this style and publish very soon or i will steal it from you :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Hey guys! Just thought I'd stop by real quick and show off the preview Fatbard has posted of Blitz Breaker's new music.

Check it out in your browser! http://fatbard.bandcamp.com/album/blitz ... ak-preview

I'll check back later this week with a more full fledged Development update.

stctr wrote:I love it so much, i want to steal your project :D Nice graphics, great idea. Keep this style and publish very soon or i will steal it from you :P

Thanks! I'm working on it at a relatively decent pace, but you're going to have to wait a bit longer. Can't release something half baked now!

Cheers!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:14 am

Long time no post. I suppose a happy new year is order!

I've been mainly tightening things up, almost have the first of four worlds completed! (much rejoice). I was considering launching a small alpha for the first world, but I am unsure due to some issues I'm having with the audio in the android version. :handshakeL: :screamy: :handshakeR: Does anyone have any experience with doing alpha testing through iOS?

Anyways, as for progress. Most of the base systems are now in place including: Score, stars, deaths, pixels (collectables for secrets), as well as the basic menu options.

Now here's a gif:

It's the results screen at the end of a world / section. I'm going to add a subtle BG soon, to break up the solid colour in the background, but nothing too fancy. Feedback is welcome.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:39 am

I must say the visuals and the dynamism of the whole thing are highly appealing. Hopefully it's not annoying to control. Hoping to see a playable version soon.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Somebody wrote:I must say the visuals and the dynamism of the whole thing are highly appealing. Hopefully it's not annoying to control. Hoping to see a playable version soon.

Thanks, I've over-thought the visual aspects way too much so this is somewhat comforting.

The controls are very simple. Tap to start your jump, swiping flings the character in that direction (up, down, left, right). Hitting an object lets you fling again. I've also tried to make the interface as simple as I can to make things easier and more accessible.

I'll probably post a short gameplay video once I sort out a few more things, and post it here once I do.

As far as a playable version? That's a tough one, I would love to but I've run into audio issues with android / crosswalk. Some devices get a major delay, and the music doesn't want to loop or mute. If I can figure out what that's happening I will happily release an android alpha. Until then it's all iOS focused.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:24 pm

looks great, nice graphic style, cool flying/movement visual effect
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:24 pm

Little art update here. Working on the cut-scene type areas, which are basically playable intermissions with some light story elements.

This is from the begining.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests