blob things

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:02 pm

Well I'm getting closer:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/529356/Semi% ... markII.cap

David informed me the trick is to set the spring dampening to 0, for whatever reason. As it is the blob can still fold over on itself though, so I need to get this structure working:

http://cowboyprogramming.com/images/blob/Fig-3.gif

But at least it's not spazzing out everywhere now.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Excelent progress Deadeye :) I played with your first version for quite some time seeing how things went together, but it's all well over my head.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:52 pm

i edited deadeyes cap to show you guys what i had done when i made this (cause i couldnt find the old one i had made)

i think you could fix the flopping into itself if you made the center ball big, i dunno why but its just a hunch i have, since its the main hub, it should be equal in mass to the balls which surround it

adding buffer nodes, might also help

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gmwdyjd1zyd
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:54 pm

Oh? Did you forget the link or something? :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:11 am

Okay, new version:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/529356/Semi% ... arkIII.cap

A larger blob with more nodes and a more structurally sound skin. You can see the spring force connections here, they're indicated by the green spokes.

You can push itaround with the big red circle, just be gentle with it :(. It's quite easy to break (and sometimes it even starts off broken, with the 1 node below the 17 node, but you can nudge it back out if you're careful).

I think it needs a more solid skin, so the next step is to make the nodes themselves have no collision, and instead hinge some slender, solid spoke objects around the outside of the blob. That might do the trick. Still, this is the closest I've come to making a decent blob, if anyone else wants to mess around with it, feel free.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 am

the spoke thing should work. from experience i know.

i found an old cap of a blob that i had made, it was a big ring of hinged boxes, and since springs hadnt been made yet i had to do it this way, i used force being exerted from the average positions of all the boxes outward towards the boxes. it was like a balloon and it could never break besides being inverted. it seemed to become laggy and crash the program after a while though, prolly an old bug. ill post that old cap tmmrw, since i dont feel like doing it at this hour.

the force `springs` i made can probably be replaced by real springs now, goodluck deadeye. i plan on using this in blobber for big soft bodied blobs that you can roll around in/push.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:44 am

Tried putting a skin on the blob, but physics isn't working properly with non-centered hotspots. Is this a known issue, or should I post a bug report?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 am

I lost :) !~
Mine collapsed 8)

Really impressive.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 am

i think its known, someone complained about it to rich i think.

you dont need to use the hotspot anyways, an image point suffices.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:38 am

Or use some maths and sprite's displacement map?

A lot of coding, erm, eventing and wheel reinventing, but it should work; note that any displacements would have to be additive - to include effect of gravity, multiple collisions etc.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic