Blurry retro graphics

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Fruit Slicer Template & Quality fruit and slice graphics (capx,c3p,png,illustrator files)
  • hi people,

i'm trying to make a retro style game and i use retro template but sprite becomes blurry when moving. i can't share a screenshot because it looks perfect in screenshot.

below is the capx file. you can see it yourself.

dl.dropbox.com/u/87325929/barbaros32x32.capx

• I think I see what you mean, but isn't that just the effect you get on older monitors, sometimes called "ghosting"? It would probably look worse on laptops.

I think the blurry-ness is lessened by reducing his speed.

Also I don't know if it was intentional but there's really no need for a separate / pegged player object.

See here:

dl.dropbox.com/u/116137178/Help/HelpWithPlatform.capx

I got rid of the player object and fixed some of your animation (it was jerky because you had bounding box different on different frames of "running").

• thanks silkc2

i tried to reduce the speed but nothing changed. and maybe you're right because i am using a laptop nearly 2 years old. so you say that won't be a problem on newer monitors?

thanks for animation too. but you really think no need for player object? is it because graphics are already blocky enough?

• i checked your version and on landed, poor little barbarossa starts to trembling continuously :)

i think i still need a player object to avoid such bugs.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • On my work monitor it's a barely noticeable blur. I will try on my fancy gaming monitor at home tonight & let you know.

I haven't used a separate player object in any of my games.. just check your bounding boxes are correct (on each animation frame they must be the same too).

e.g. I can see on the "stand" animation the bounding box isn't on the bottom of the frame, where his feet are. So this causes the wobbling.

Using a separate player object to peg to was hiding the real problem.

I've saved over the file so you can check the link again to see what I mean. He is now smooth. :)

• thanks again for your help :)

• ebrar - did you try turning on 'Point sampling' rather than 'Linear sampling' in the project properties? You might also want to see if 'Pixel Rounding' makes a difference. I noticed a massive improvement in the Retro look when using 'Pixel Rounding' and 'Point sampling'.

• space ape, thanks but point sampling and pixel rounding are by default on if you use retro template.

• One thing that I noticed is that a stark white background really accentuates any blurriness caused by sprite movement. Unless you plan on having a white bg in the final product, perhaps change that first?

• cincipon, i tried your tip and it makes the blurriness a little less noticable but i think nothing changed in fact (as you mean i think). maybe the monitor theory of silkc2 is true.

thanks anyway. i don't plan to keep the white bg by the way.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)