Board Horde Stats Update

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm

@cklester

I had started to implement an 'automatic move' routine for if there's only one hero on the board, but had to disable it whilst concentrating on getting more important features ready for the Newgrounds competition. Now the competition's over I'll probably have the chance to finish adding it at some point, so thanks for reminding me! (bug hunt and asset size reduction is the priority at the moment, though)

@blacksmith

As soon as I start uploading Board Horde to various sites I'll be sure to let you know (any assistance in drawing people's attention to it is always appreciated). It's likely I'll try Kongregate, Clay.IO and Market.js to start with (and update the Newgrounds game).

I hope to have the game ready to upload in about a week or so, and then spend June adding in lots of extra features before I move on to developing something new in July (though I'll still add new boards, potions, traps etc from time to time).
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Ah sweet, I'd lost track of this. Haven't checked in on it for a month and it's improved immensely, so good job! It feels really polished now and it's much clearer what's going on - even I could work it out :p

Love the music, really adds to it. And it's clear now what the potions and so on do. Didn't find any bugs and it played through smoothly on mine, looks pretty much ready to go :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 am

Weren't you planning to launch this for the Newgrounds touch competition, or am I imagining things? Or some other competition? What happened?
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 8:26 am

@farflamex

The Newgrounds entry can be checked out here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/616297

It didn't place in the competition, as it was let down by dodgy a.i. (Which was the best I could get it in the time available). The two that won were very polished and enjoyable games (Magnetized and Space Hamster).   Still, without that competition deadline my game wouldn't be as far along as it is, so I got a lot out of it.

I'm glad you haven't stumbled across any bugs yet, though there's definitely some lurking around. Finding the cause of the problem is made all the more tricky by the fact that the main collision bug seems to happen randomly.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by to give the game another test. There should be a lot more improvements on the way over the next month.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 am

I see you suffered a few hate-votes on Newgrounds too and the game is rated stupidly low. I'm getting a bit suspicious, because I've seen some truly awful games with 4+ stars and some really good ones rated down at 2. I suspect people are getting friends etc to vote up their games because some are very bad. 2.4 for Board Horde is totally unfair. I'd understand it if every game was down at 2 stars because some of the haters state really stupid reasons for downvoting (I've seen people vote a game at 1 because 'I don't like shooters' and it's common to get a 0 vote because it doesn't work on their machine, which is sort of annoying). But some really weak games get 4 stars which is really strange. I think the main trick is to get rid of every bug and get it working on every platform and then re-release it, because that will kill most of the hate-votes and you should get closer to 4. I've added my vote :)

I can't believe someone said the music was annoying, I love it. I found myself humming it while walking to dog, lol!

I guess the point of Newgrounds and Kongregate is to test out your game. Release it, see the response, fix the errors (would help if they'd reply when they find bugs) then release it again. Eventually it should be completely ready to go.

Still, it's a bit lame that my new Jovian War game, which took about 20 hours to complete, got more than Board Horde which is far better and probably took you 50 times longer. I guess the point is, my game is simple and doesn't have bugs or issues on other machines, due to the simplicity. For now, it seems like that way to go.

I'm not sure where to go after the Newgrounds route etc. I guess marketing it on your own webpage or other places would be worthwhile. Not the sort of thing I know much about unfortunately.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 2:42 pm

@farflamex

I have to agree with your analysis of Newgrounds. I have received several 0 votes for submitting "just another asteroid shooter" when another asteroid shooter placed in the top 8.

Overall, I'm not really a fan of the NG community as much more than a place to get basic feedback on a game. The community is largely full of kids who do not provide the sort of feedback we could really use to make our games better.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm

@farflamex @excal

Literally within two seconds of uploading my game to Newgrounds it received about three zero votes. Also there was someone bragging on the message board recently about how he voted zero for every game entry, for absolutely no reason. Still, there are some decent folk there who are willing to provide feedback (including the judge, Tom Fulp, who took a lot of time to analyse as many of the 95 game entries as he could) and I can see how the html5 gaming community could really take off once Flash takes a backseat, so its worth persevering.

There were some games that I didn't like much which made the top ten, and others which I liked a lot that got barely above two stars. A lot of the time it can come down to personal preference, or something as simple as whether the game actually works on the browser or device the persons using; even though some creators put on the front pages of their games 'works best in such and such a browser', if that's not the browser that the player has open then he'll try it anyway and rate it badly if it doesn't work (and then leave the comment 'didn't work' without saying anything helpful that'll assist us in improving our games).

What I found a bit odd about the competition is that you could vote for your own game once a day (which I didn't do) which may explain why some of the less polished games pushed their way to the top. At least when it came to the actual judging, it wasn't just down to selecting what was at the top of the list.

Farflamex, thanks for commenting on the music. The musician did me a huge favour at short notice, so its nice for her to have some positive feedback.

20 hours to make your game is pretty impressive going! Board Horde has probably taken me about 400 hours so far, and it isn't even finished yet (then again, its my first game so its bound to take a while)

Anyway, before I get back to the joys of game creation, Excal I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed playing your game. The touch controls are probably the best example of their kind, and I had great fun trying to work my way up the leader board. If i was making a top ten of my favourite competition games then yours would be in it (along with Bunker Control, which also fared quite badly). I really look forward to seeing what you do with the game next.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm

@Excal

I agree, but on reflection, it does serve it's purpose. I found it very disheartening when I put Korelos up, to have so many people criticise it who simply hadn't given it a chance. But then again, that's the point really. It's not nice to hear criticism, but at least they're honest (brutally honest sometimes) and that's how you'll improve your game. If they say 'It's too hard' there's no point saying 'Well play it a bit more and get better' because the next person will come along and say it's too hard too. So it's a good way of working out what needs to be done.

It's certainly unfair that good games get low ratings while poor games get really high ratings (that part is a bit suspicious frankly) but overall I think it's a good system. The real killer games on there which have 20 million plays do deserve it as they're really fun to play. The trick is to reach 4 stars I think and I doubt you'll manage that on a first attempt, so take the criticism and keep working on the game.

It's still slightly annoying that my new game (which frankly isn't very good) is getting better ratings than the previous one, but I understand why. I might even work on improving this one based on the comments, since it's much easier to do than Korelos, which had become a bit difficult to work with (and won't load into C2 any more sadly :( ).

My vote for Board Horde raise it from 2.42 to 2.44 in a single vote, huzzah! Silly though, it should be much higher.farflamex2013-05-23 15:22:53
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:24 pm

@Dave Hailwood

Thank you for the kind and wonderful comments! I'm not sure where I want to take my game next. I live in Oklahoma, and we were hit by an EF5 tornado this Monday that wrecked my neighborhood. My house is still mostly intact, but we can't drink the water here and electricity is expected to be out for the next couple of weeks.

As for my space shooter, I want to put it off until multiplayer support is better in C2. I understand there are some plugins to make realtime multiplayer work, but for now I have my sights on developing a turn-based strategy game that takes place on a board, so you may be hearing from me soon with some questions about implementation ;)
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm

@Dave

We seem to have posted at the exact same time, so I should get used to doing the @Dave and @Excal thing or that'll be confusing :)

You're lucky to have a musician who can come up with something like that at a drop of the hat. I personally think it's great and really 'gamey' and perfect for Board Horde. The game has a wicked sense of humour, so does the music. Anybody who can't see that and then votes it down because of it needs a good slap :)

I did Jovian War over about a month but never for more than 1 hour at a time. Compare that to Korelos where I spent 6 months and some nights spent 5 or 6 hours on it. It helps that all the graphics were taken from previous resources (Korelos, the Scirra folder that comes with C2 and the IGB pre-made ships) but mainly it's really easy to make simple games. Korelos was a bit trickier as you can imagine, but nothing C2 can't handle.

Got to agree about the guys who run Newgrounds, they're very good. For some reason they did my game icon for me, which was frankly much better than the one I submitted. Quite nice of them really :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations