Board Horde Stats Update

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:30 pm

@Excal

Looks like we're of the same mind. Turn-based strats and the like are what I'd prefer to develop. Arcade strategy can be fun too, but I'd like my game to have a lot of strategical elements as those are the games that I play. I'm still tempted to pump out a single simple action game every month and hope to get lucky with one, since it's risky that you'll spend a year on a strategy game and people will just say 'I don't like strategy games' and rate it at 0, lol. But I guess this means I need to work out how to market things properly :p
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:34 pm

@farflamex

I forgot to say thanks for the vote! Much appreciated.

If you can get your game featured on Newgrounds then that also does wonders for it; Magnetized, Seed and the shootemup that came third all got featured and their viewing figures went up by several thousand rather rapidly.

I can understand being annoyed by your new game getting the best ratings. I once wrote a book with a friend (in the pub, and on the bus) which was the quickest thing we'd ever written. It is now sitting in second place on the iBooks 'free humour books' chart, whereas all the books I took years and years to write instantly sunk away into obscurity. Still, sometimes the projects you take more time over are more satisfying to complete even if they don't get the recognition you hope for.

You're right about the merits of honest criticism; its only annoying when they don't give a reason as to why the don't or do like it. If they're saying its too damned hard or too damned easy then at least it gives us something to go on.

Anyway, I believe I was meant to be working on a game of some sort. Best get back to it, I suppose. Cheers!
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:42 pm

There you go though, if your quick book did better than the slow-to-write ones, it makes me think you're better off pouring out loads of fast games (which would probably be mostly poorer quality) in the hope that one just pays off. After all, a game never ends up how you intended and some things just fall into place... or don't.

The one thing I like about writing fast games such as Jovian War, is that they're completed more quickly and much easier to work with and you never feel bogged down by them. Added to that, there are fewer problems with compatibility (heck, JW even fits on the Scirra arcade, lol).

I'm going to try to get JW uploaded to some phone sites since it was intended as a phone game anyway and actually works quite well (apart from your finger getting in the way all the time). That's something I've not experienced yet so will be interesting to see how that goes.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 23, 2013 3:50 pm

@excal

I'm glad that you're alright, given the Tornado experience. The most we ever get here in England is a slight breeze that unsettles the odd bowler hat.

I'm happy to impart any knowledge I have, to assist when it comes to creating your board game (just bare in mind that I'm probably not using the best techniques as I'm largely making it up as I go along).

@farflamex. Sometimes you've just got to go with creating the type of game that means something to you, rather than knocking up the popularist stuff. At some point I'm planning on doing an rpg even though it will probably take a year to complete, just because I have a story that I'm really keen to tell. If the strategy game genre is what's calling to you, then go make something ingenious!

Right, I really am going now. Honest...
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 24, 2013 2:32 am

@Dave Hailwood,

i have to be honest. your game sucks.

how else would you explain, me being tied, two escaped hero's each, with my last hero on the last leg to escaping, when it was caught from behind and knocked into the abyss. doomed to sit there, rolling pathetic non-six rolls, while watching the enemy creep to his third escaped hero, and a gut wrenching defeat.

it must be that your game sucks...it must be.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 am

@harrio

It's okay, there are support groups for gamers like you. Hang in there...be strong! You're going to get through this...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Hullo chaps,

I'm getting closer to completion and have just updated the link on the front page to the newest version. This contains a new scoring system, cheats, debug mode and various other improvements.

After I've sorted out a bit of my dodgy programming and removed all the bugs I will tie the scoring system into Clay.io's Leaderboards and Achievements (so please let me know if you think any other score bonuses should be included)

A few helpful pointers about the scores:

Mages get 20 points for every kill, Rogues get 15 and Warriors get 10. Every time you get a kill without dying it adds to your kill streak bonus (so if a Mage kills two enemies, he will get 2x20 points).

There are bonus points for making the first kill, being the first hero to make it to the exit, getting all three heroes to the exit, killing a hero that killed you, getting to the exit without dying, killing a hero that's close to the exit. Points are also given for dodging a trap or drinking a potion, and deducted for setting off a trap, dying on the Entrance Square, being killed elsewhere.

I will be adding various ways to keep track of important stats into the game soon (such as what kill streak multiplier you're on, who to get revenge on, if your hero is still up for an Untouchable bonus) and also put more of the workings out on the scoreboard.

Anyway, hope to have something nearing completion (for the time being) in the next week or so, depending on how the bug hunt goes.

Thanks for your support!

Ps, my highest score so far is 750 without cheating...beat that, Mr Harrio!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:06 pm

@Dave Hailwood,

Damn revenge killings, and the AI seems to get six's on a suspiciously regular basis! As you may be able to tell, I got my butt seriously whooped!!!

Nice update though, not sure I'll be able to beat your 750! But I'll keep trying!!!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:58 pm

@blacksmith

I am also highly suspicious of the amount of sixes the a.i. seems to roll. I'm pretty sure I didn't put the option for the a.i. to cheat anywhere in my events, but I will double check!

Just updated the link on the front page to include all the workings out on the scoreboard, and also pinned a kill streak multiplier above the heroes heads which shows up when making more than one kill (probably need to put an outline round it at some point, as it can be hard to see at times).

I still need to work on the text placement/timing, and getting rid of the bugs but I'm quite happy with the way its coming together.

Thanks for giving it another shot, and lets hope you score higher on my game than I did on yours!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:14 pm

@Dave Hailwood

Your game is wonderful. It's nice and addictive. Do you have plans releasing this to mobile? I would definitely download that game
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations