Board Horde Stats Update

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 am

@kuso

thanks for taking the time to check it out. At least I know it's definitely working for one person! I've ammended the link on the front page now, so hopefully it will continue to work until dropbox changes its security protocols again. This also tends to suggest that preloading my audio wasn't the cause of the problem, so I can probably do that again to improve the sound.

I should have a new update ready by Friday, fingers crossed!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:08 pm

It works! Back to normal now, loads in fast and plays perfectly :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm

It's definitely coming along and going in the right direction. The sound effects are nice and overall it's looking pretty good.

Couple of things - is the AI in the game yet? I had to play against myself as usual but I'd like to play against the AI. I couldn't work out how to do that.

The rule that you have to roll a 6 to get on the board can be pretty aggravating. Is it central to the game, or could you fix it so that if you have no pieces on the board, you get a free entry next turn? I like the fact that you need a 6 to get EXTRA pieces out, but if you have none, it can take forever (I know you get 3 rolls but it actually took me 4 turns to get a piece out once). I know this is common in some board games but I don't like it and you just feel a victim of the dice (I guess that's board games for ya :p ).

I still feel a bit more visual instruction would be nice rather than a pre-game description (I'm lazy like everybody else nowadays). Say you hit a potion, a quick pop-up bubble saying what it does would be nice. And I'd still like to see the flashing pieces :p

Still, overall it's quite intuitive and if you just play it through you soon pick up the rules, so I'm just nit-picking really. With the excellent graphics and simple-but-fun gameplay, you'll do well with this :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:57 pm

@farflamex

I'm glad you managed to get in again, and cheers for the feedback.

The A.I. Version will be uploaded on Friday, (currently the a.i. can only get one character out at once, but I'm hoping to fix that). I'm planning to spend the last two weeks of the competition concentrating on the aesthetics and helper objects (like flashing/highlighted selectable characters, and a few more animations). This week I've been focused on A.I and HUD graphics, next week I hope to jazz up the text objects (which will make it more obvious that you've picked up a potion) and hopefully implement a scoreboard system that lists most deaths, kills, traps avoided etc.

I'm in two minds about the Having To Roll A Six to get another character out on the board when you have none; on the one hand, this is a useful board game component as it allows the other player to get the upper hand, but on the other it can be annoying if you have to wait ages to get a hero on the board (if there are none out on either side, I might tweak the protocols a bit so that it's easier to get someone). Anyway, I've still got to tweak the game balance a bit (enemies are spawning too often, and the trap needs more features added) so it's comments like that one which will really help me when considering what to go with. Hmm...Maybe I could introduce some sort of Free Entry But Movement Temporarily Halved consequence? you've given me something to think about, so cheers for that!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm

I think if you have no pieces on the board, then on your next roll, you automatically get to place a free counter so your next roll is just your next move. That's how I'd like it to work, but bear in mind I don't know the nitty-gritty of the mechanics as you do, so maybe it would affect the game balance too much.

I didn't know you were doing this for the competition, so good luck with that :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Once I've got the a.i. up and running properly, it should give me a chance to better test your idea (as when you're playing against yourself, the moves are always somewhat predictable!). If I can implement the idea before Friday so you can test if it works better or not, I will do so.

I'm not sure how the game will be received at Newgrounds, but hopefully it works for the 'Touch' aspect of their competition. I would've left the addition of A.I and scoreboards until much later, but I think they might help improve the games chances a little. Once the competition is over I plan to take a good few weeks to tidy up and reduce the events, as there's a lot of wasteful code floating around in there. Then I'll start the cumbersome task of adding a third player to the mix, and game changing Special Skills for each particular type of hero (plus a truck load of new maps!)

Many thanks once more!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 pm

@Dave Hailwood
nice to catch up on your updates
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 pm

@mineet

With luck, I'll have a bigger update at some point tomorrow. The a.i. and HUD graphics overhaul are going reasonably well. I tried to implement Farflamex' idea about not having to roll the dice three times to get a hero out when there's none on the board, and I think it will improve things once I've managed to track down and destroy all the bugs it's thrown up (why is it always the quick fixes that end up taking the longest to solve?)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:06 pm

@dave hailwood Good to see this being polished up.

I'm thinking a spinner rather than a dice ,may be good,as it would give a graphical representation of who's turn it is (you could have a scary picture of the current player on the dial)   

It would give the player more a sense of doing something...would work well on a touch device especially!...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 pm

@Dave Hailwood
look forward to the update tomorrow..
like the sound of pixel pericks idea
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations