Bottom Line: Construct 2 and the Ouya

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Internet , my friends !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Any chance we could get some kind of native export to OUYA if it takes off? Kinda like how we got that awesome, ever improving webnode kit export for EXEs
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 pm

[QUOTE=Awakening] Any chance we could get some kind of native export to OUYA if it takes off? Kinda like how we got that awesome, ever improving webnode kit export for EXEs[/QUOTE]

It seems unlikely based on the discussions we've been having here. On these hot topics we rarely get any positive forward-looking replies from the bosses around here, so I'm putting my money on "No." It's possible through tricks to get it up and running, but all of the "raw HTML 5 power" doesn't amount to nut if your goal is publishing games for cash it seems.

Could be a variety of factors going into that. You can't really blame HTML 5, but you can question up and down the wisdom in going that route for anything but internet (web browser) based gaming... and even then, depends on the browser. I find Chrome to be atrocious, yet sites like the new Mega.co.nz -require- it to download files. Even on an android tablet, such as my Nexus 7, I skip Chrome in favor of Dolphin browser.

I -do- like the fact that it appears you can make a straight PC/MAC game with the webnode kit, so there's always a chance you can find your success on the desktop platform... it's just troublesome to think that you COULD release a smash hit that's impossible to port, save for rebuilding the game ground up in another engine.

If we're waiting for HTML 5 and Ouya 2, 3, 4, etc to "line up" so that Construct could export natively to it... we have a saying in the movie biz: "The longer it takes for something to happen, the less likely it will."Lovelocke642013-02-08 13:37:43
B

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm

The Ouya Browser makes a click noise each time the button is hit. This noise to me is the biggest problem with making a real game. We need native support for the ouya controller and disable the keyboard so that these click noises aren't heard. This can be done with a Phonegap plugin that bridges the gap between javascript and java. For me this is my last step in creating a HTML5 game for the Ouya which i have not done YET.

Performance is another big issue for the games I'm trying to make for the Ouya. I have noticed that 30 FPS is probably the best we are going to get for a arcade type game using Phonegap. I tried to adjust construct 2 javascript code to see if i can limit the max FPS with no luck. I have sinced hacked together a javascript game engine that fixes the canvas at 720p and scaling to 1080p at 30 FPS. In just a couple of days i got something that sortof works, but not really. To be honest, I'm just just testing a theory about about using a javascript game engine that runs at 30 FPS and seeing if there is a advantage to such a thing. So far I'm not sure what the result are.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Please keep us updated on that, rfisher... the fate of so many other games-to-be depends on your findings, boss.   
B

Post » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Ugh...this is seriously discouraging, considering I was really aiming for the system and now there's no way of me exporting to it currently. I thought that since it could export to android, it'd be a no brainer, but this is a real mood killer :/
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 am

I'm following up on this as I'm interested on Ouya development as well :)

Ok, as i'm sure some of you know there was a thread called "The sad Truth of C2" ignore the fact that it's more about HTML5. I did some follow up testing to increase performance. i found some fantastic success to bump the starting FPS up. You will need to becareful from there that you don't overload the pixel push rate. Going over this will surely do a performance hit.

ok. here is what to do
as your making Ouya games I suggest sticking to 720p. you could do 1080p, but I don't suggest it. if you NEED more performance go down as low as 480p
* viewport to 1280x720
* create your game on this viewport.
* test your games at 1280x???(whaterever your available screen width is on your browser testing hardware.)
* set your scale to "letterbox scale integer"
* create the rest of your game

doing this method I was able to easily animate 15 objects on my screen at 50fps on my Tegra2 android in the Android browser. This is up from 10-15fps.

however this method also means your game is not going to be as easily portable to a multitude of devices. You will need to carefully weigh in game at different resolutions. if any resolution becomes too much you will probably have to make all the changes manually.

Also on a development note. When i went from testing program to using this in my game. i needed to go about reducing large sprites and objects. It wasn't immediate. Once I tinkered with various sizes on the larger objects my performance jumped a lot. I don't suggest making TONS objects on the sreen. instead use your objects more wisely.

if you need a lot of small objects. blend them into the background.

One theory i've been thinking to allow for more free form level construction's while having lot's of details. Would be to use rojohounds canvas plugin.

Create an entire empty background objects of just canvas 512x512, then use a level loader engine to paste the sprites onto the canvas background. use an invisible version over top. and when picking up or doing something advance with the environment. Just re render that one tile.

That way you can minimize re rendering and probably get away with just 20 active objects at one time..... I think this needs to made into a plugin :D

yes. I've been asking Ludei for Ouya IAP, Controller and to just work for here and there. However, while there has been friendly comments that they are of interest. They cannot give an ETA or even expressed interest in it being for a late March release... So i'm still hoping for rfisher's phonegap plugin... maybe rfisher you could integrate the IAP? then again that wuold actually require a C2 plugin :|... sigh
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 pm

hmmm. I did some more testing. This time to see if we can get some background images based on the theory I had. The result was startling bad.

Ok first as with my prior suggestions and studies there are ways to get the base rendering to 60fps on a Tegra2 chip(I don't speak for T3). That's good. I managed to get 1 green bouncing ball with an FPS of 20 to 60. Then after some tests managed to get that up to 85 balls running at an FPS of 50.

With that I decided to try some backgrounds and the results were very painful. Backgrounds(tiled or sprite) that filled the screen killed performance. I've tried difference size tiles based on the 8,16,32,64... model for speed. There were no good results. The end result is that on a Tegra2 it all comes down to pixel pushing and backgrounds are killers :|

Ok the good news. This is an Ouya thread and the GPU in the Ouya is much better. what ever maybe causing terrible pixel push on my device may not exist at all on the Tegra3/Ouya... sigh. I wish I had my Ouya :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Ouya's pretty similar to the Google Nexus 7, Tegra 3 included. I -do- have one of those sitting right here in front of me... I'd compare it's (native) apps to be something akin to a Sega Dreamcast/Playstation 2 but with a few additional whiz-bang modern graphic effects that (you notice) makes the framerates dip.

If there's a way to test your example out on my tablet, I'd be happy to help and post the results. I mean, if working out the solution is going to be a users-only trial and error affair, I'm willing to do my part.
B

Post » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Actually this can't be right at all aboout larger objects.

In CocoonJS tests there many demo's with full screen images running at 60fps. However C2 on my device crawls with TileBackground at 256x256 over the screen. There is definitely something wrong.

I will take you up on that offer. Try this
original simple: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14087254/ballbouncetest.capx
CocoonJS: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14087254/balltest.zip
CAPX: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14087254/performancetest.capx

modify resolution and position if needed. try to be sure that when using letterbox your getting exacctly the availble screen size :)

jayderyu2013-02-13 23:43:03
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General