Box2d: We need MOAR Physics.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:44 am

If you're interested in another physics behavior I've been working on one based on chipmunk2d here:
viewtopic.php?f=183&t=110815
It already has more features than the bundled physics behavior, although I'm unsure how it compares performance wise. It's beta but I've fixed every bug I've found so far, however it just needs more testing.

Comparing it to your list it gets about half of them right now.
1a It currently has collision groups and layers
1 not currently, but it's a simple change to get it working.
2 It has every joint chipmunk2d has to offer.
3 Not currently. I can add segments with a radius as another collision shape so you can just use objects. Other than that I'm not sure of a good workflow, but I'm open to ideas.
4a not directly but a pivot and gear joint together should work. It is possible to give bodies multiple shapes in chipmunk.js but I haven't come up with a good workflow, so only one shape is used.
4 It can do ray tracing with line segment queries currently.
5 Not yet. I'll add it to my todo.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:03 pm

@R0J0hound

I had forgotten all about this. Thanks :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:29 pm

@r0J0hound, that's an awesome plugin - thanks for putting the work in! I repeated my performance test using your plugin - the performance of Chipmunk was identical to the stock Box 2D Web plugin.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:37 pm

@Colludium
That's pretty cool it performs that good. It's better than I expected.

A bit of an update with supporting things in the list.
1. This is kind of doable now. You can cancel the acceleration from gravity by applying force -mass*gravity in the "pre step" trigger
5. You can get collision info now with the "on post collide" trigger.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:33 am

@spongehammer - I agree, more features is way more important than more objects on screen.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:38 am

@R0j0hound - Thats neat, I'm to far into a project to switch right now but that's really cool.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 pm

spongehammer wrote:For me the missing features are more important than the number of objects on the screen at any one time. And although its nice to create particle type systems with physics they are not a priority

I can only agree.
In the end, particles could be created by visual design only, rather than implemented physics.

ruskul wrote:1.a - Collision Filtering! It sure would be nice to say, hey these objects only can collide with these and so on allowing for easy environment manipulation and complex behaviors.

I actually require this, other than that my whole project could be dropped.
However i never thought that this was actually bound with the physics ?!
I require this feature for complex tasks within a normal environment, simply picking specific objects instances to collide or not collide with other specific objects / solids.

Is this ever going to be implemented into Construct 2?
I really wonder.

Global collisions are really... really strict boundaries for any game designer/developer.
I might work well with simple platformers, but anything else could get into trouble.

However, i'm really looking forward to any updates Construct 2 is going to get in near future.

For now, i will test R0J0hound his plugin.
Maybe my struggle and problems will vanish with it :D
Thanks
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:25 pm

@Everade

You probably know now, but R0J0hounds Chipmunk behavior does have collision filtering built in. :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:44 pm

@spongehammer
Yeah i've actually seen it yesterday.
But that would mean that i would be forced to set normal objects to chipmunk behavior. Such as the player / enemies etc...
Which again means that they all have at least 1 mass.

Which also means that they will fall down the whole layout (i'm working on an isometric project, so there's no solid floor).
Next to that, at least i guess, it will eat a lot of perfomance since it will process up to hundreds of enemies with their physic behavior on.

Maybe i could workaround their mass by applying some settings, but still... it's everything else than the best solution.

In reality, i would simply require a check for objects and or solids.
That's it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:19 am

Absolutely, shameless bump... (I changed the op)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General