Brain type warp with the "S" plug-in object.

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:18 pm

that's really well done Toralord, and glad to see people using S

The spline functions on S, I'm not sure if they're released on the public version, but I'll probably release the latest, pretty much complete S version sometime. But yeah, those were catmull rom splines, which are cool, because the curve passes through all points, instead of having control points, but there's no reason it should suit this any better than a cubic or quadratic curve.

When I was playing Braid, as a programmer, I tried to imagine how it was done. I guessed in order to be able to store all the locations of everything at every moment and be able to rewind with complete accuracy that everything was controlled with splines and math functions, with endpoints on collisions and such. Jumping and gravity would also be controlled by curves. Pretty neat stuff.

Either way though. That's damn Braidlike toralord
good job
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Yeah I'm guessing the rewind in Braid was using splines with a reasonably high amount of samples (or points) to get near exact accuracy. Unless im greatly mistaken it really is the only way to do it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:01 pm

[quote="alee":l9ezl8to]Yeah I'm guessing the rewind in Braid was using splines with a reasonably high amount of samples (or points) to get near exact accuracy. Unless im greatly mistaken it really is the only way to do it.[/quote:l9ezl8to]
That's possible, too. But not exactly what I meant, if I'm understanding you correctly. If you mean, as you moved it recorded the positions of your character like this demo by toralord, but rather than every tick, it recorded very frequent control points. I meant, even the forward motion of time; the regular play, when jumping falling, or getting knocked back by enemies, rather than conventional equations for platform physics, that are pretty much disposable. I think maybe the fall and the jump is a calculated curve, so that whether moving forward or backward in time, it was just a matter of plugging in the time value on the curves to get the corresponding positions. Each time the jump button was pressed, or the character landed, or began falling, an endpoint would be saved. Collisions might have to be done in a special way I haven't thought about though, if that's really how it's done, because I wouldn't expect conventional collision detection methods to detect the same way at different speeds moving in different directions in time.(and colliding from the opposite side)
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:05 am

When I try to open the *.cap file, I get the following error:

"You require the behavior 'Path Movement' to open this file."

Any idea what I did wrong?
B
G

Post » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 am

[quote="aCuria":1jqjbxyi]When I try to open the *.cap file, I get the following error:

"You require the behavior 'Path Movement' to open this file."

Any idea what I did wrong?[/quote:1jqjbxyi]

If you look at post 3 of this thread, it mentions downloading the plugin. Have you tried this?

If you didn't know, Construct uses plugins to enhance and give new functionality to the core system.

Hope this helps.

zen
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 pm

That's a link to the S plugin. The path movement is here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5693&hilit=Path+movement
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:59 pm

I get an unexpected error when running the .cap. And Temp.exe crashes. When using the debugger it says

A crash inside a plugin's action has been intercepted. (...)
Plugin: s.csx
Object name: S
Event 0 in event sheet 'layout 1 events'
Action 1
Instance 1

When i try to go to to the event sheet editor construct crashes without any message eccept windows "Construct.exe has stopped working".
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:58 pm

[quote="Attan":g10oscjt]That's a link to the S plugin. The path movement is here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5693&hilit=Path+movement[/quote:g10oscjt]

Thanks Attan, that plugin solved the issue that I mentioned previously

Unfortunately, I have the same problem as you in running the game. Basically I get a runtime error immediately and theres no debugging information to attempt to solve the problem.
B
G

Post » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:31 pm

what version of construct are you using?
and do you have an up to date version of the "S" plun-in?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm using the latest stable version, and i downloaded the S plugin from the link in the third post of this thread just today.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files