Breaking the GNU agreement

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 pm

I am not at home atm but I will post the contents later, No source code is included.
B
G

Post » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Huh... turns out I did have an ebay account. Weird. I don't remember ever signing up for one.

Anyway, both of the remaining items have been reported.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:06 pm

you guys should really sue them!!!
thats my opinion!
you cant let them sell YOUR work thats just terrible

and if that does not work than take matters in your own HANDS!!! just hack their websites or their bank accounts or something....(no just kidding :) )
B
G

Post » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm

*BLINK*

Geez those are the same guys that change me for sunlight!

But seriously I am glade you reported it to eBay. Wonder what they will do about it? In general eBay is light on punishment because they get some of the profits. On second thought eBay should turn over their share of the profits to Construct.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 pm

My understanding of the GPL is a bit murky, but I think that as long as the cost is reasonable, and the source code is included or made easily available, it's legal do distribute works for a fee. That said, I don't know about auctioning. And it seems that the source code is not included...

I take issue with the renaming of the program, which is certainly questionable in my book. It's probably the only modification made, but certainly is a modification, and makes it subject to Copyleft. All of the screen shots show 'Game Creator' in the titlebar instead of 'Construct'.

It's certainly shitty in my book as well.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Maybe Ashley should clone his clone and sell it for a penny cheaper ...

... just to piss him off.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Come to think of it, no one should be able to sell it in any fashion, given that all the known builds use the Prof-UIS lib. Might check with Ashley, but as I recall even the freeware version is for non commercial use only, and I dont think they were using that one.

Also even if they did have a legit license from Prof-UIS, and made their own build, they could be in trouble if they used Visual Express. As I recall that's for non commercial use only as well.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:05 am

Okay guys, lets get things straight here.
As always it seems that users of this software never seem to read the license nor do they actually understand what "open source" is.
Deadeye should put a copyright notice on his work if he wants it to be protected.

A couple of quotes from the GPLv2 which construct is under:
"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things."
"You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights."
(Note the mentioning "receive or can get the source code" - No need to add the source code, a link ios enough)

There is a lot more to open source and the GPL and actually should be read when installing. It is important.
But as I read through this thread, it is embarrissing how people report one to ebay and others cry to sue me.
TIP! Read this and then comment: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... singTheGPL
B
G

Post » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 am

Edit: admin removed paragraph

We had a similar situation with the Fruit Machine Emulators, and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop them.
Unless you want to spend every hour monitoring eBay.

This is so annoying for the developers.
Let's hope it doesn't convince them to stop development.
Again, in the Fruit Machine Emulation scene, it almost brought an end to development (although, eventually, in-fighting within the community did that, lol)

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:15 am

#Krushbrother!
You seem to be a really smart guy he?
Read the license of the software and then think, after a couple of weeks it may come through to your mind how stupid you are!
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic