BRUTE

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:14 am

this is not mine kind of a game but i really love the looks of it !
...is there a demo to try it?
B
26
S
11
G
2
Posts: 669
Reputation: 5,038

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:17 am

spongehammer wrote:After playing for over an hour i have to say i love everything about this game. The design , sounds and music and even the fact its so hard to get right. I will def buy this when released :)

The only one thing i would really change is the size of the bullets, they seem too big. Odd i know :)


Thanks @spongehammer ! Really nice to hear. :)

The size of the bullets is totally influenced by Vlambeer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U
Last edited by CrudeMik on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
B
43
S
13
G
8
Posts: 622
Reputation: 7,392

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:17 am

irina wrote:this is not mine kind of a game but i really love the looks of it !
...is there a demo to try it?


There's no demo, but there's a technical alpha test if you'd be interested in testing it to see if it runs no your hardware okay?
B
43
S
13
G
8
Posts: 622
Reputation: 7,392

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 am

@CrudeMik

sure, i dont mind testing it... might be interesting... :)
B
26
S
11
G
2
Posts: 669
Reputation: 5,038

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Lol, personally i think the bullet size can be bigger :).

For folks who aren't accustom to difficult games, perhaps you can subtlety lower the difficulty a bit without even letting the player know it too. For example after like the 5th retry or so (there will be plenty of this), and also depending on the level, you can slow down some of the moving obstacles, slow down the chasing enemies, increase drag slightly, gravitate bullets towards the target.....etc. But do it all behind the scenes so that a player isn't "forever stuck" on a certain level and will be more enticed to continue playing. This technique was actually done in Resident Evil 4 - not a lot folks know this though :).
B
94
S
33
G
11
Posts: 278
Reputation: 12,724

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:46 pm

@Cryptwalker - yeah I've seen a video about that RE4 thing, pretty neat. So in Brute I don't think players will be forever stuck because they will always have a choice of 5 or so levels to pick from, so long as they clear one of them then another one opens up, so unless they're stuck on all 5 levels they should be able to progress. I do like your idea but I think I need to keep the game competitive and consistent for the leaderboards (if I can figure out how to implement them)
B
43
S
13
G
8
Posts: 622
Reputation: 7,392

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:24 am

Where is the Demo?
B
89
S
28
G
11
Posts: 652
Reputation: 11,428

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Cryptwalker wrote:Lol, personally i think the bullet size can be bigger :).

For folks who aren't accustom to difficult games, perhaps you can subtlety lower the difficulty a bit without even letting the player know it too. For example after like the 5th retry or so (there will be plenty of this), and also depending on the level, you can slow down some of the moving obstacles, slow down the chasing enemies, increase drag slightly, gravitate bullets towards the target.....etc. But do it all behind the scenes so that a player isn't "forever stuck" on a certain level and will be more enticed to continue playing. This technique was actually done in Resident Evil 4 - not a lot folks know this though :).


The problem with this method is it ruins the flow and timing. If an enemy/obstacle behaves a certain way or moves a specific speed, you expect them to always move in that way, which is fundamental to how you would react.
In a game like this, where timing is everything, if you start adjusting the seed of objects after the player dies, the player will have to adjust their tactics. That might become frustrating after repeated attempts when objects don't move like they once did and you have to relearn the level all over again.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
59
S
24
G
3
Posts: 359
Reputation: 5,683

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:49 pm

ryanrybot wrote:The problem with this method is it ruins the flow and timing. If an enemy/obstacle behaves a certain way or moves a specific speed, you expect them to always move in that way, which is fundamental to how you would react...


Not really. This feature should only occur if the game senses that the user is taking way too many attempts to complete the current level. I threw in 5 as a sample number of times before the game will adjust that particular level to make it slightly easier. It might be even better to increase that number 10 or even 20. And of course this shouldn't be permanent either, just only for that particular instance.
B
94
S
33
G
11
Posts: 278
Reputation: 12,724

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:03 am

Brute Update:

Image

Brute is still in development and it's going well! It's design complete with a fully working menu supporting 100 levels and a basic save system. I'm now doing a final pass on all the levels, finishing up the SFX and working on the music myself and with other composers.

I've got a logo and other bits too which designer Tyler Barber made:

Image

I'm putting together the app on Steam and I hope to have a pre-release test build to send out to those who helped me test a few months back :)
B
43
S
13
G
8
Posts: 622
Reputation: 7,392

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lires and 2 guests