This bug that pressing 'Run' does nothing is really annoying me. I didn't think I changed anything there but obviously something's gone wrong for some people. Annoyingly, it works perfectly for me!
Here's what happens when you hit Run:
- DX9_p.exe from the Data subdirectory of Construct's install path is copied to Temp.exe in Application Data\Scirra (path will be something like: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Scirra\Temp.exe).
- Construct writes your Construct install directory to Construct.ini, eg. [Path] Install=C:\Program Files\Construct
- Construct adds all the .cap data to Temp.exe, then runs it. It uses the Install path in Construct.ini to find all the plugins it needs.
To get to the bottom of this I need to know which stage has broken. So if people experiencing this problem could check for me:
- DX9_p.exe exists in your Data\ directory of Construct
- Temp.exe appears in your Application Data\Scirra folder
- Construct.ini has the correct path saved under [Path] Install
- If Temp.exe exists but clicking Run did nothing, try running Temp.exe from Windows Explorer, and the app you want to preview should run.
- Try pressing Debug - process is the same except DX9_pd.exe instead of DX9_p.exe
- If Temp.exe doesn't exist, check you have permission in that folder (create a text file or something).
Also helpful to note operating system version, whether it works for you or not (if it works, I still want to hear about it!), and your video card model if you know it.
I shall investigate further.
Thanks guys, I want to get to the bottom of this