Bug with colors...maybe?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • Ok so here's a .capx with the issue. It's very simple.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AveyCUjlTWnXgvUzQDidPWEdrit89w

I'm not entirely sure this is a bug or not so I'm hesitant to post in the bug section til someone more knowledgeable than me has a look at it.

Here's what I did. I created a simple blue square and created a clone of it. On the clone I put a "set color" effect. I copied the RGB values of the original and put them into said set color effect. The point of this is to create two separate squares both with the exact same color value.

Now, since Construct can't ever seem to be consistent in anything it does it uses a 0-100 RGB system...but only when it feels like it. It does so unfortunately with the Set Color effect, So I converted those values using an expression I found on the forums: "valuehere/255*100 in the event sheet. Here's the result.

Two boxes with two entirely different colors despite having the exact same RGB values.

Why is this happening?

• Both are exact the same colour on my monitor.

Question. Do you have a colour profile enabled? Or, do you have something like f.lux running ?

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using- ... in-windows

• Both are exact the same colour on my monitor.

Seriously, dude. Get a better monitor. I mean, really

• They are not the same RGB values. On the left it's 67:156:222, on the right 29:160:255.

• Kazan

First of all, it is not a bug - and it is not Construct's fault for being inconsistent. This is an open GL shader that takes RGB values as a percentage (0 - 100%) and uses those to modify the image.

I was able to get much closer to what you want by using the ReplaceColor effect. It takes RGB values (0 - 255) although, if you look at the effect code it then converts the values to a pecentage because that is still what the gl_FragColor function requires. I set the tolerance to 100 and then set the Replace values to 29, 160, 225 and got a blue square that was the same as the original. (I changed the color of Sprite2 to a different color just to make sure it was really doing it). With lower tolerances it was not quite ending up with the same color of blue.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Running the provided capx. (gosh why would one do that !). No ICC. profile.

Exactly the same.

• Running the capx they are the both same for me. But in the pic you posted above they are different.

• Indeed, running the capx, getting the same color, in the original screenshot posted, the colors are different.

The explanation of AllanR sounds correct.

I don't see how the OP got his screenshot though, other than creating two different objects with different RGB values.

Eisenhans: Your comment was not useful (as it seems you did not execute the capx). In the future please refrain this type of posts.

Even though 99instances should/could have indicated that the different colors were observed on the capx execution, not on the provided screenshot, your type of comment brings nothing to the topic or the forums.

• Well this is odd for sure. I'm not sure how I'm getting a different result when most of you are getting the same color. AllanR got a different result as well though.

AllanR Thanks for the explanation, that clears it up a bit actually. Maybe I'll just roll with replace color for now using your suggested adjustments.

99Instances2Go Thanks for checking it out for me. No I'm not running Flux nor do I have any color profiles set up. Honestly, I didn't think my monitor would matter. Does color picking actually go by that? Will I actually get different RGB values depending on my monitor? I always assumed it was sort of..."hard coded" in the software.

My monitor isn't brand new, it is a little on the old side but I didn't think it was so off that I would be getting different RGB values from screenshots. I guess I'll just chalk this up to a monitor issue for now then.

Thanks everyone for testing it out for me.

• Eisenhans: Your comment was not useful (as it seems you did not execute the capx). In the future please refrain this type of posts.

Even though 99instances should/could have indicated that the different colors were observed on the capx execution, not on the provided screenshot, your type of comment brings nothing to the topic or the forums.

I did in fact run the capx, this is what came out...

But you may be right about me being on the forums here.

• Eisenhans: Sorry it was late, I meant "this type of comment" (as in this "personal attack" without more informations in regards to the topic itself) not "your type of comments" (as in "your general comments").

Kazan: Also Eisenhans screenshot does bring an interesting point like yours, it is not a matter of monitor (since people who executed the capx and had similar color on their monitor do see the different colors in your screenshot as well, meaning when you are executing the WebGL shader, the result is different RGB colors, whereas it is not on other peoples' computer).

It could be a matter of graphic card/chipset.

Strange indeed that running the provided capx as is results appear so different from a computer to another.

For people trying, please can you put your computer specs (OS/Graphic card/NW.JS version I guess should be enough) to see if some trend jumps out ?

Mine : Win 7 pro, Nvidia GTX 560 Ti, NW.JS 18.7 then updated to latest NW.JS 19.4 and still the same result of the same color for both objects.

• Kyatric I'm just messing with you No hard feelings. My original comment was inappropriate in the first place.

My working theory right now is: driver issue. My C2 system is Win8.1 pro, NVidia GTX 760 *but* (for entirely different reasons) with a super antique Nvidia driver (358.91). It may very well have been an issue that has been fixed since. So in OP's place I would check that first.

• It appears to be a feature of chrome/nwjs that uses a color profile to adjust the colors. Here is a previous discussion on it or something very similar:

As I recall if you look at the Windows display settings there is a color profile settings tab for the monitor that lists color profiles installed. It really just depends on if one was installed with your driver or not. You can remove them too.

• It really just depends on if one was installed with your driver or not. You can remove them too.

There is none on this system. Don't know about the OP's situation though. Here it was specifically set up to not have it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)