Built-in Level Editor

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi!

Wasn't there some talk a while ago about improving the level editing in construct? This would really take construct a step ahead of other game-making tools since right now everything is a hell to make levels with, and a hell to make level editors with.

I'm thinking about a "level edit-mode" or something. I'm sure people could come up with really good ways to handle tilesets, private variables (which would be good to have in the level edtor) and practical tools (like simply a way to pick a sprite and draw with it on a grid, or a flood fill).

Right now it's a hell to make levels. [size=30:fonhtagh](and making levels is a big part of most games. That results in "making most games with construct is a hell" and that's not good, since it limits the games that most people make to: Value('all games')-value('most games') and what's left isn't as many games as we would wish to have...)[/size:fonhtagh]
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:51 pm

I don't find it half bad. with snap to grid and control+drag it's actually pretty easy.
[quote="Attan":yl8dtcbh]This would really take construct a step ahead of other game-making tools[/quote:yl8dtcbh]
I think it's already a few steps ahead. :mrgreen:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:07 am

snap to grid and ctrl+drag is in mmf too, so in this area it's not one step ahead, and this is an important area.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:35 am

I gotta agree with Attan on this one. As far as "level editing" is concerned I don't think Construct is one step ahead of other tools. I'm not knocking Construct on the whole because I think it is amazing, but I think other tools are just as easy or easier to use for creating levels.

That being said I don't think its that hard to make levels, but it could be better. Working with tilesets seems to be a weakness of Construct. For example, there is a video on youtube on level creation [url:2rsxbj8d]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM3iQbzM4C4[/url:2rsxbj8d]. It "seems" to be easier than the way Construct works, but maybe I haven't used Construct enough yet. This is probably a 2.0 feature though... or a plugin.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:38 am

I used Game Maker for years: has the [u:1xoj6v3z][color=#FF0000:1xoj6v3z]BEST[/color:1xoj6v3z][/u:1xoj6v3z] tool for level editing. Tiling is SO easy, the grid is better than Construct: I can make an entire big city in a hour with all the functions the level editor gives to me. The Construct level editor is just the simplier level editor I've ever seen (attention: i'm not saying it is a bad level editor), so this [u:1xoj6v3z][color=#FF0000:1xoj6v3z]NEEDS[/color:1xoj6v3z][/u:1xoj6v3z] a big change, a more advanced level editor.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:13 pm

I agree, too. Editing levels takes more time or work than it seems like it should.

Being able to click/drag to add or change tiles in positions like that would speed things up greatly, I think. I mean, I would prefer it. :)

A plugin or feature for this should check for square or rectangular regions of the same tiled object, and combine them into one where possible. It'd also be nice if it could stretch certain sprites (such as the ones some use for collision). Oh, and the plugin/feature ought to have an optional setting where you can choose to add these collision blocks with the blocks you draw. Maybe. Though that could be done manually, too. Also, one would still want to be able to cut out holes in the collision afterward for hidden tunnels and things.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:02 pm

True, dragging stuff around in Construct right now takes a lot of time and is pretty awkward. The Gamemaker tile-based editor is a lot easier to create levels in.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:02 pm

[url:2i836okq]http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/construct/index.php?title=Keyboard_shortcuts[/url:2i836okq]
[url:2i836okq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEx8bA_R0o[/url:2i836okq]
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:00 pm

I've seen those things, and sure it helps, but still.

(btw. David, i love your little videos! keep making them, even if it's not super important, it's still usefull to see how you work with things.)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Those are really sweet features and make it much easier to create levels. However, what if the sprites were not separate, but in a tile sheet? Especially a tilesheet that isn't in a perfect grid (has extra space, etc that you don't want to import). It is MUCH easier to import these in other tools than in Construct. Using the import frames feature, under animations, in Construct doesn't seem to work well on many tilesheets. For example, you have to manually determine what size the sprites are by using the picture editor. It would be nice to have that feature built into the import tool. Also, I'd love if someone showed an easy way to import a tileset into Construct and have it where you can use the tiles in many different objects.

For example, a tileset that has three characters with 4 pictures per characters. All I know how to do is to import the tileset automatically into one object using the import tool. Then cut and paste the different animations into new objects. This way isn't terrible... but is there a better way?
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion