Built-in Level Editor

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Im still not hearing much else about something Construct cant already do.
Other than the "painting" feature lets have some feasible suggestions.
Like the ability to change frames via a context menu when the object is right clicked.
Also a hint for something that's not on the keyboard shortcuts list:

If you have multiple objects selected, you can deselect one by one by pressing the shift key and clicking the object you want deselected.

@scidave
You should probably preprocess the images in an image editor, Gimp, or Ps.
But in all honesty making up your own is the best bet.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:09 am

I think there are lots of things that could be made for easier level editing, but the painting option alone would be a big improvement. And that can't be very hard to add.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:44 am

Actually I prefer Control+v to a painting type of action, as painting will often add multiple objects all in one place.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:22 am

[quote="newt":2ujtgdzi]Other than the "painting" feature lets have some feasible suggestions.[/quote:2ujtgdzi]

How is adding a simple coordinate system to the import tool not a feasible suggestion? It would save time determining size of sprites, and it is already done in the picture editor so I can't imagine it would be that hard to do.

[quote="newt":2ujtgdzi]@scidave
You should probably preprocess the images in an image editor, Gimp, or Ps.[/quote:2ujtgdzi]

This (adding more flexibility when chopping up tiles) is a common task when bringing in tilesets so why not have the capability in Construct? Since Construct already supports splitting the tiles why not make it a little better? I don't see the reason that this should be done in GIMP... it can't be that hard to implement.

[quote="newt":2ujtgdzi]But in all honesty making up your own is the best bet.[/quote:2ujtgdzi]
Why?? Why should I spend hundreds of hours making cool graphics when I can spend a fraction of that time making a game? You are essentially alienating a large percentage of the casual developer population that doesn't make all their own graphics. Not everyone is trying to make the next big commercial game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:46 am

[quote="scidave":2dtsq7k8][quote="newt":2dtsq7k8]Other than the "painting" feature lets have some feasible suggestions.[/quote:2dtsq7k8]

How is adding a simple coordinate system to the import tool not a feasible suggestion? It would save time determining size of sprites, and it is already done in the picture editor so I can't imagine it would be that hard to do.

[color=#0000FF:2dtsq7k8]How would that work per layout?[/color:2dtsq7k8]
[color=#0000FF:2dtsq7k8]Anyway like i said the chance of duplicates is annoying. [/color:2dtsq7k8]

[quote="newt":2dtsq7k8]@scidave
You should probably preprocess the images in an image editor, Gimp, or Ps.[/quote:2dtsq7k8]

[color=#0000FF:2dtsq7k8]Since it solves a headache that probably wont be solved till 2.0... if ever, and the tools/ scripts to do those kinds of things already exist in programs that just about everybody already has. Plus I'd rather the devs worry about game features rather than graphics problems, that again are solved with standard programs.[/color:2dtsq7k8]

This (adding more flexibility when chopping up tiles) is a common task when bringing in tilesets so why not have the capability in Construct? Since Construct already supports splitting the tiles why not make it a little better? I don't see the reason that this should be done in GIMP... it can't be that hard to implement.

[quote="newt":2dtsq7k8]But in all honesty making up your own is the best bet.[/quote:2dtsq7k8]
Why?? Why should I spend hundreds of hours making cool graphics when I can spend a fraction of that time making a game? You are essentially alienating a large percentage of the casual developer population that doesn't make all their own graphics. Not everyone is trying to make the next big commercial game.[/quote:2dtsq7k8]

[color=#0000FF:2dtsq7k8]I'm not saying don't use them, they have their place, but when you make your own you don't have to worry about all the other stuff, like size, tile maps, etc. Plus you'd be surprised how easy it is once you get into it.[/color:2dtsq7k8]
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 am

[quote="newt":3688z9th]Actually I prefer Control+v to a painting type of action, as painting will often add multiple objects all in one place.[/quote:3688z9th]

But of course the painting action would not add more then one at the same place... It wouldn't even have to be painting. Just clicking the sprites out would be better then it is now.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:56 am

[quote="Attan":slxmy7i7][quote="newt":slxmy7i7]Actually I prefer Control+v to a painting type of action, as painting will often add multiple objects all in one place.[/quote:slxmy7i7]

But of course the painting action would not add more then one at the same place... It wouldn't even have to be painting. Just clicking the sprites out would be better then it is now.[/quote:slxmy7i7]

for that matter, you could have a toggle box that prevents you putting another sprite into a grid square if there's already one there on the same layer - A similar function to "Preserve transparency" in a lot of image editors.
B
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:40 pm

it would be useful to have some sort of tile placing/organization system... but it's pretty much just a convenience at this point. Ctrl+drag works with multiple selections and it snaps to the grid well enough, The time it takes to write a post about wanting the feature could have probably been spent creating the entire level with the tools available now. Don't get me wrong, I would love some type of tiling/drawing system, but it's not at all essential. Maybe for tilesheets it would be more important, but for placing it's not really a big deal unless you're making some sort of massive zelda type overworld. I actually find ctrl+drag has advantages over regular select and place tile systems, but having both would be ideal I geuss.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 pm

[quote="Davioware":3gm1qwr9]Don't get me wrong, I would love some type of tiling/drawing system, but it's not at all essential. [/quote:3gm1qwr9]
That's the whole point I'm trying to make. For either a plugin or for 2.0 it would be "nice" to have more convenient options to work with tilesheets. There is nothing wrong with convenience. Now whether it is worth it over a non-convenience feature is debatable....

[quote="newt":3gm1qwr9]How would that work per layout?
Anyway like i said the chance of duplicates is annoying. [/quote:3gm1qwr9]
What I was referring to doesn't have anything to do with layouts. It's all in the animation import frames tool. I don't understand the duplicates part.. doesn't seem relevant.

Overall, I'm simply saying Construct could be more convenient or noob friendly in places. Does it need to be... obviously no. I guess I should get back to making a level... :P
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 pm

I can agree that it's not that essential to have a good way of handeling tile-sets, but a better way than Ctrl dragging IS essential. Right now people are just making engines, so it's no problem now, but when creating levels it is.

I'm just saying it would be a HUGE improvement and would probably not require much work at all to add a checkbox where you toggeled "painting" or something. Where you can click out the sprites instead of ctrl+dragging them.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion