Buying a laptop

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:37 pm

[quote="Ethan":jd0bs4sn]Prepare yourself for the mountains of junk that comes preinstalled.

My brother got a new laptop a few months ago and not kidding we spent about 2 hours unistalling all the pointless adware and trial software they bundled it with.

Also you need to make your own backup discs now, they no longer come with recovery discs.[/quote:jd0bs4sn]
And its good think becous you dont need to reinstall that crap load every time.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Do they send the Windows CDs with laptops? I'll just format and do a clean Windows install if they do. If they don't what am I meant to do if my HD crashes?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:56 pm

[quote="Ashley":jo29vggu]Do they send the Windows CDs with laptops? I'll just format and do a clean Windows install if they do. If they don't what am I meant to do if my HD crashes?[/quote:jo29vggu]
Example acer has this program that keeps popping up until you do backup dvd of your windows so they dont have any cd:s until you create one.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:45 am

[quote="Ashley":1x28fbu9]Do they send the Windows CDs with laptops? I'll just format and do a clean Windows install if they do. If they don't what am I meant to do if my HD crashes?[/quote:1x28fbu9]

It depends on the brand AND model. I'm pretty sure the Satellite Pro series you are looking at have a seperate Windows disc. A lot of brands in general have a "recovery partition" (like HP and Dell) or you have to make discs (like Acer).

I know that MSI models all come with Windows discs... no preinstalled recovery garbage... If all else fails, you can always download a Windows ISO from any torrent site, and use your legit key to install. The disc makes no difference, it's the product key liscense that you are essentially paying for.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm still not sure whether to go for a 17" or 15" - I've read 17" and bigger are "not at all portable", whereas 15" would be easier to carry around on the go. Anyone have any comments? Anyone own a 15" or 17"? How portable are they?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:01 pm

my 15" macbook can be carried in a small messenger bag, but it's quite a strain on the back, so i mostly opt for a backpack anyway. a friend's 17" still fits in a slightly larger bag, so it's just as portable, if slightly heavier.

however, i could not do serious work on my 15" screen; not only is the fact that it's attached to the keyboard ergonomically challenging for me (because my hands and my head are quite a distance apart when in any comfortable position), but it's also too friggin' small. i've got friends that can work on small screens with ludicrous resolutions, but i'd prefer a physically larger screen to a higher resolution every day. so my tip would be on the 17"; for slightly better posture and prolonged health to our beloved devs! :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:28 am

Yeah, when it comes to screens, the bigger the better I say... especially considering you mentioned portability not being a huge part of the laptop experience for yourself personally. If it's going to be set up on a desk for 90% of it's usage, then I'd go the 17" myself.

Since I port mine around a LOT, I went for the ultra tiny 10" widescreen, and for the "main" laptop which doesn't move around a huge amount, I went for the 15" since it does get ported around the house a fair bit.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic