C2 and Opera performance

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:13 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] Opera have about a 2% market share so I'm tempted to leave it - the big three (IE, Firefox and Chrome) seem to run it just fine...[/QUOTE]

A far as i've read, the 2% claim is American slant. Opera is the only non-American browser in your list. I heard that it has about %15 in some European countries, and as much as 20% in Russia.

For myself, having enjoyed supporting Opera for many years, i have finally switched to FF nightly build. Main reason is Opera doesn't yet support things like Drag & Drop, and have also fallen well behind on other HTML5/CSS3 support. Also C2 content was hard to test because Opera uses the arrow keys for scrolling the browser. But the final last straw was actually speed comparison.

Btw, here's an interesting quote:

"IE supports DnD from IE5 but it doesn't support File API even in IE9.
Opera supports File API from 11.1 but doesn't support DnD."

B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 am

I was going by StatCounter Global Stats: over the past 3 months Opera's share stands at about
1.7% worldwide
3.8% in europe
25% in Russia
I have to say, the Russian share surprised me! The thing is I'm not sure of any particular thing I can do to improve it in Opera - it works fine in other browsers, and I don't know why Opera doesn't work so well. Still, I'll have a play with it and see if I can learn something.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:02 am

I'm not suggesting it's your problem. More that Opera have mysteriously fallen behind on HTML5 and such. It's odd because it seems not long ago (err, 2 years) that they completely rewrote their JS engine (Carakan) yet Chrome and FF have jumped past them with their own JS developments. However, it could just be canvas rendering speed, or something not JS related at all.

Anyway, the browser competition will remain hot if end users are quite flexible with the browsers we choose.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:44 am

If you find something that's cool. I don't know why opera has pb with C2 it's strange.

I would prefer that Opera is a problem for all HTML 5 canvas type (like GM or Monkey).

I have a small idea. I've played with Opera and Construct 2 and GM HTML 5 but I didn't try with Monkey to compile something in HTML 5 and test it in Opera.

I'm going to write the same thing with Monkey, and I am going to transcode it in HTML 5 and test it in Opera. I will post the result here, with the link to the app.

It's simple if we have the same problem, it could be it simply....Opera that works with what he wants to lol but if not, there is something somewhere between C2 and Opera.

Let's have a try to compare and see what happens :)

Just want to help, because I believe on C2 ;) C Classic is fine and I think C2 has a great potential, mainly if later we can make .exe too (I know I read the FAQ ;) ). And if it works on all browser it's even better :)

PS : once again, sorry for my approximative english and mistakes, it's not easy for me ;)

Happy Construct !CrystalNoir2011-10-11 10:53:31
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 am

I tried this as I've been testing all my games in Opera and not had an issue. Both looked the same! I even opened both in Chrome and did a 4 way comparison and if anything the movement on both the Construct versions looked a little smoother.

I'm running Opera 11.51 on Windows 7 so not sure why its fine for me but not others, would the Java version affect this? I'm running the latest versions of Java.
B
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:33 pm

I have opera 11.51 too and Seven 64 bits. I don't know if the java version affect this but why it would affect with C2 and not with other ? very strange.

May be Ashley could tell us if the java version could affect this ? wich version of Java do you use BrokenInfinity ?

I've just tested with the build 27 of Java but I see no difference.CrystalNoir2011-10-11 12:38:55
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Java Version 1.6.0_22 for Opera.
B
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Nothing in the browser users Java, so I really doubt it affects anything. It's all pure HTML and Javascript (javascript is different to java).
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:33 pm

The latest version is this one : http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

And it doesn't change anything here. And on opera website that's the java install they point to from their site.

I finish with my monkey code and post it here to compare.

[quote](javascript is different to java)[/quote]

That's right, I don't think about this.CrystalNoir2011-10-11 13:41:52
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:02 pm

I have been using Opera for a long time as well.
I tested your examples and they where exactly the same speed for me in Opera. No difference whatsoever.
Opera 11.51, Win 7 64bit.

Check your plugins in preferences to see if somethign may not be impacting this and also turn of the prefetch settings maybe.

Havok2011-10-11 14:05:12
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General