C2 crashes on load of (most but not all) projects

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Hey community members,

I first wanted to post this in the Bug forum but then I saw that I need to include a .capx in my bug report or it is going to be deleted. The problem is, I can not include a capx file because the bug occurs on all sorts of files, even the included examples.

The bug simply is that the C2 editor crashes when loading some kind of project. I have tried to figure out under wich circumstances this bug occurs, but I'm rather helpless and failed to figure things out. I think it would not be helpful to attach a capx, as this occurs also on the included examples, so I rather attach a gif showing the problem:

I first thought it has to do with capx's, but also foldered projects tend to crash.

I tried upgrading to the beta release, wich worked out first, but with r254 the problem reoccured.

I tried reinstalling C2, it did also not help.

The only connection that I can tie is that the more complex a project is, the more often it crashes. e.g., "multiplayer chat example" is impossible to load, while "webgl shader effects" goes fine. (see gif)

the only other thing I guess is that it could be some kind of incompatibility issue with older versions, because projects that were created from scratch with this version tend to load fine.

I would really apprechiate some help on this topic, I hope that it is just me who has done some stupid mistake wich brings the editor to crash, and hope it is not a bug, because it would probably mean it would take some time to fix, while C2 remains unuseble for me...

• Hey there WieBrei,

I'm not sure, but if reinstalling C2 didn't fix it, then it seems like the problem may lie in some external resource that C2 tries to invoke when loading certain projects.

Even so, it may still be triggered by some aspect or content of a project. For instance, if C2 is trying to load something specific to a certain object, and some part of that process prompts C2 to do something that results in a crash.

Questions

Are there any projects that will sometimes work and sometimes crash, or is it that specific projects consistently always work or always crash?

Can you post a list of the projects that do open and the ones that don't?

Multiplayer Chat - example capx

You mentioned that the Multiplayer Chat example capx crashes.

I made a list of all the plugins it uses:

[Plugin: Name]

Browser : Browser

TextBox: ChatLog

TextBox: ChatTextBox

Function: Function

Button: JoinButton

Keyboard: Keyboard

Text: Label

Multiplayer: Multiplayer

TextBox: NameTextBox

List: PeerList

Button: SendButton

Text: Title

Button: ViewTutorial

The plugins:

Browser

Button (Form control)

Function

Keyboard

List (Form control)

Multiplayer

Text

TextBox (Form control)

IT may be that "form controls" are somehow causing a problem. They are not HTML canvas elements, unlike most other graphical pluggins.

Other aspects of this example:

• It doesn't use families.
    • It does use groups, and nested groups, and nested events.
    • In properties, it's physics engine is set to "Box2D web" (the other project you said sucessfully openened used "Box2D asm.js" instead). Perhapse C2 does something involving the selected physics library, when it loads a project.

Web GL - example capx

[Plugin: Name]

Sprite: BackgroundSprite

Sprite: CogSprite

Mouse: Mouse

Text: Text

The plugins:

Mouse

Sprite

Text

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's crashing at the point it creates an OpenGL context for the Layout View. This is caused by buggy graphics drivers. Try updating your drivers and checking for any available software updates for the OS.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)