C2 Data Editor (Tools)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your craft game come to life with this sounds :D
  • C2 Data Editor — Now for sale in the Scirra Store!

https://www.scirra.com/store/game-makin ... editor-124

The C2 Data Editor is a Windows desktop app that makes it easy to create data structures for your app using the built in Construct2 Array and Dictionary.

All of the data for an entire app can be saved in a C2 Data Editor XML file for inclusion in a source control system. The Data Editor UI allows you to add Array and Dictionary objects and then you can double click these to start editing them and adding in data visually. Once you are done you can click a button to generate the C2 JSON format for these objects and the data inside them.

You can even embed Arrays inside of Dictionaries and then put those Dictionaries in other Dictionaries or other Arrays... nesting as deeply as you like. If you have an array or dictionary embedded inside of another then all you need to do to edit it in the Data Editor is double click the table cell that contains it and a window will popup ready for you to start editing that nested object.

If you have Construct2 Array or Dictionary JSON you have already exported out of your app then you can paste that into the C2 Data Editor as new objects or you can even import delimited text files that have data in them as new objects.

Your data objects can be exported into a capx file or you can use the injection feature to insert your data objects, DataSet Function Events, and other supporting objects directly into your pre-existing capx files or Construct2 project folders.

A capx is included containing events for editing and searching the data in the DataSets created with the C2 Data Editor. The capx also includes a couple layouts showing how to use these events. The following events are included in the capx:

CreateRow, UpdateRow, DeleteRow, ClearRows, RowsCount, SearchColumnFindFirstReturnColumn, SearchColumnFindAllLike, SearchColumnFindAll, SearchColumnFindFirst, IsNumeric, FormatNumber, FormatCurrency

Update 1.5:

Version 1.5 has been uploaded.

Changes:

1) Bug Fixes

2) You can now take the JSON text you get from your apps using the AsJSON method and paste into the main screen of C2 Data Editor to create new objects.

3) Export all the data objects as events into a new empty capx file.

4) Injection into your capx and folder projects. This includes all the data objects (Arrays & Dictionaries), function events to populate the data into those objects, the sample DataSet Function events from the sample capx that you previously had to manually copy into your projects, the DataSets family, and the ResultSet array (both of these are used by the DataSet Function events from the sample capx).

5) Import text files into Arrays and Dictionaries.

6) Insert Row button in the Array Editor screen.

7) A new DataSet function in the sample capx called "SearchColumnFindFirstReturnColumn" which will search one column in a DataSet array and if a match is found then the value of another column is returned. e.g. do a lookup on an ID field and return the HitPoints column.

Injecting DataSet Arrays into your C2 project results in an Array being created (which has instance variables containing the column ordinals) AND an event function for creating and/or picking that Array and populating it with the data you entered into the C2 Data Editor.

For example if we inject the following table (called “Test”) as a Data Object Function into a test capx we will see the events below in the DataObjectFunctions event sheet:

[attachment=1:xk4ybrdm]TestDataSet.png[/attachment:xk4ybrdm]

[attachment=0:xk4ybrdm]GeneratedTestDataObjectFunction.png[/attachment:xk4ybrdm]

User Manual:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/277541264/C2%20Data%20Editor.pdf

One or more videos should get added in the next week or so.

Use this topic to leave comments, ask questions and talk about C2 Data Editor

• Great job!

If you can't make a demo version, please make a youtube video with a demonstration and examples.

This tool seems to be very interesting, but $34 is a large price to just look at it.

• Great job!

If you can't make a demo version, please make a youtube video with a demonstration and examples.

This tool seems to be very interesting, but $34 is a large price to just look at it.

Good suggestion on the video.

As far as price... well how much is your time worth? This tool is all about saving on time messing with the data manually.

I have been using it since January and it saved me more than $30 worth of time.

Plus Scirra gets their cut and they deserve it.

• Thanks to those who have purchased already!

A new version is in the works which you will get for free once it has been released.

• As far as price... well how much is your time worth?

You have not correctly understood =) I'm not complaining about the price, I'm talking about the lack of information. After buying it may be useless for some users, and will be sorry for the money spent.

I think that the video will help in this matter =)

• Yip, it's not about price, its about a right fit at that price point.

More info is needed to make a decision. Or some constructive reviews. Pity store only opened yesterday...

but once store gets traction, more purchases, more reviews, and info etc, then making decisions will become easier.

Bit the bullet and purchased. Will review it for others.

• > As far as price... well how much is your time worth?

>

You have not correctly understood =) I'm not complaining about the price, I'm talking about the lack of information. After buying it may be useless for some users, and will be sorry for the money spent.

I think that the video will help in this matter =)

Very true.

I am trying to get the new version finished and then I will create the video with the new features as well.

• Yip, it's not about price, its about a right fit at that price point.

More info is needed to make a decision. Or some constructive reviews. Pity store only opened yesterday...

but once store gets traction, more purchases, more reviews, and info etc, then making decisions will become easier.

Bit the bullet and purchased. Will review it for others.

Thanks for the feedback.

In addition if you run into scenarios where this tool could have saved you more time if it had feature X let me know.

Once the new version is done and in the store I will make a video showing the tool being used.

I am shooting for this weekend to have the new version out.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the feedback.

In addition if you run into scenarios where this tool could have saved you more time if it had feature X let me know.

Once the new version is done and in the store I will make a video showing the tool being used.

I am shooting for this weekend to have the new version out.

I will make a formal review after seeing the new version in a few days and/or once I've done something constructive with C2 Data Editor.

But first impression is very good so far.

The capx functions are brilliant. Haven't seen the extent of its brilliance yet, but very cool.

The software itself and the reason I "bite the bullet", is because you can make extremely complicated arrays (data within data).

And the "Search and Replace" --- You are the man!

Anyways, very impressed so far. Its simple, and if it does what I am hoping it can, then I will be very happy.

I brought it via another account I have on scirra: "grizzly" don't know if that show's up your end.

Anyways, look forward to new release over weekend.

• Very interesting! Looking forward to the new version. And a Youtube would be nice!

• Very interesting! Looking forward to the new version. And a Youtube would be nice!

Version 1.5 has been uploaded. I removed and replaced all the screenshots and it all should be approved and available by tomorrow.

At the top of this page you can find a link to the user manual.

• Version 1.5 has been uploaded. I removed and replaced all the screenshots and it all should be approved and available by tomorrow.

At the top of this page you can find a link to the user manual.

Thank you for the manual. And as promised I left a review... aka grizzly

I will use it with existing game... just going to take awhile to move all the data across and work out best structure for it. But already the ability to have a dictionary of sections with arrays of data, and I can delete/add/edit on a whim within the editor... and the search and replace is a absolute winner.

Crossing Fingers, but so far this is going to be an absolute life saver... complex data structures and C2 data Editor is going to be a must with C2 Users, much like spriter and sprites.

• This really looks extremely useful: editing and managing database stuff for c2 is pretty tedious. I'm looking forward to giving it a try !

• Updated user manual with a specific example showing the relationship between a DataSet Array in C2 Data Editor and the Data Object Function that gets generated inside your capx when you use the injection feature to export that DataSet Array... this same example has been added to the first post in this thread. The user manual in the application download for those that have purchased will be updated at a later date.

• Hello

Is it possible to build a light registration/login system with your tool?

Thank you for yout time

Uros Solar

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)