C2 February GAME JAM!!! Please Read!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:55 am

True, I'm not known. I'm new, but I didn't see anyone else doing it so I thought I'd try. I'm a doer, not a talker.

This doesn't have to be my baby. In fact I'd rather someone else do it so I could just participate. But I didn't see any successful tradition so I tried to do a service for the community. It's just not going to work out, especially if as you say, the community feels entitled to fancy landing pages and expects this to be on par with the Ludum Dare.

The Game Maker communities have a game jam. They don't have a website at all. It's a sticky in the forum. That's it. They made do.

Stencyl has the StencylJam which is a big event hosted by the developers of Stencyl that has prizes, but it's also just hosted on the forums and blogs. I don't know.

I'm sorry, I guess? I didn't expect to be criticized for trying to do a service for the community, but I guess I see your point. I don't know, maybe I should just keep my head down from now.

And I see someone +1ed the comment. Message received, I guess. My sincere apologies, community members. I didn't mean to create such a debacle.teacherpeter2014-01-27 06:15:23
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 am

I don't really think anyone is trying to criticize you for trying to get something started. It's like I said earlier, it's not as easy as just making a post and hoping that people will join you. It takes a lot more behind the scenes stuff to get something like this going properly.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:19 am

Well, like I said. I tried. I had a professionally made rubric, a facebook page, a website with an example of how it was going to work... it would've been find. The behind the scenes stuff wasn't the issue.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:47 am

I agree that something like this would help to raise the profile of C2 - there's a lot of talent on these here boards and it'd be nice to see what we're capable of doing in a month. I don't see a problem with it being a community-run thing rather than 'official', I'm sure Ashley & co are busy enough as it is!

Anyway I'd definitely be up for joining in with one of these, let me know if it goes ahead.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 am

I appreciate the effort and sentiment here with this idea. My 2 pence:

I think that theme 1 will be make or break for participation from the community, so it might be worth having a Ludum style vote-off to generate interest and a feeling of ownership for those that vote. I also think that it would be better if it were centred in the forums rather than on an external site (good effort putting that together, though). If i wasn't participating then i could easily glance in and see what's going on. Facebook and twitter nonsense could be done through Ashley and Tom I guess. If it becomes a separate entity then it could slide into oblivion....

A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am

Absolutely no one wants to offend you or your idea. I think its great.

I just think that it wont work the way you try to manage it. Making a Facebook-Group etc isnt really enough.

We just started to disscuss the whole topic in general, when you suddenly try to launch something in a text post with links, that arent even clickable. Thats not really planned or attractive and so it wont be successful in my opinion.

If you would have planned a little more you could have made up a nice visual ( I guess here are 100s of artist (me, even im not the greatest, included) who would do that as a favor for the community.
You could have asked Ashley to share that visual on the Facebook-Channel of C2.
You could have been looking for sponsors or prices..(perhaps Ashley would give out an Upgrade or some artist make a sprite pack as a price ...there are 10000 possibilities to make this more attractive and at least
Normally people are helpful and friendly in every case.

To make that sure again, absolutely no one tries to speak down your effort, or ideas, but your behavior is not really pro-project, to be honest. You are feeling insulted, just by a little critic. That doesnt really spread trust to anyone, that should spend hours to be part of your contest.

This is, as people said not easy to manage....why be so harsh? Just give an idea some time to grow....

Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:58 am

I'm not insulted. I was just discouraged. Anyway, you're right. I've always known that one of my most annoying personality quirks is being too aggressive and proactive, not really thinking things through. Anyway, because I'm new I didn't know people, I didn't feel comfortable asking Ashley of all people for help, and I was hoping to get it up and running before February since I'm on vacation right now and I had the time to set things up. I went all in but I should've asked for help and taken my time.

You live and you learn. In any case, maybe the best thing that could come of this is that someone more equipped with experience and connections around here might be inspired to try their hand.

EDIT: For the record, I just checked. all my links work.teacherpeter2014-01-27 12:04:43
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Personally, I think the best way to make this happen is to keep it simple and informal. Make a main thread for the game jam on this board once you have enough participants (minimum of 5 sounds about right), then entrants can outline what they have planned, post the occasional update and finally link to what they've made at the end of the month.

Anyone who's interested can then +1 the game they like most, and the most +1s after a week (or whatever) wins. No prizes or anything, just adoration and ego-stroking :)

Anyway, I'd love to see something like this go ahead, and even become an ongoing monthly thing that people can dip in and out of. The Construct 2 Monthly Game Jam!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:35 pm

I think we should put someone important, like a moderator, in charge of it and make it one thread that's a sticky. Or do like the others do and have a subforum dedicated to it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

I'd love to participate in a C2 game jam! I did notice that GM, Stencyl and MMF2 all seem to have an official one of their own.
I think a forum-run thing with moderator support would probably be best.
It would probably work best if it was infrequent, like just once or twice a year, and it would be preferable if it didn't clash with any of the big well-established jams.
I'd be happy to help with any organisation etc if I was needed
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General