C2 for Interactive Website

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Frames really shouldn't bring your ranking down; does the parent page have any additional content on it? Simply using a frame to embed content shouldn't matter unless your parent meta tags/description is referring to the frame, and the actual parent page has no such content.

As Ashley said the best way around this is to use C2 for what it was made for, the interactive stuff, all your text, contact forms and links should be pure HTML; with tables dead you can make some very simple websites that still look great, and if your web-host is half-way decent, you've got access to a few hundred free to use templates!

Pure C2 websites are effectively the same as Flash sites (Though I guess they work on mobile haha!) you're not going to get good crawler results without resorting to something like white-texting,and at that point you're doing more harm than good!

Lightboxes are also a great alternative to a standard iFrame if your worried about screen estate.Mr E Bear2013-02-18 21:32:32
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 pm

@Mr E Bear

Well. They do if they're invalid or don't have a src leading to another content website. My contact form is quite hackish and I remember having to place a hidden iframe in order for it to fully work.

Kind of makes me wish the W3C was less strict.

I can't help it, but in it's present form, HTML just reminds me of ASM. With all it's hacks and hidden features, it's like 6502 (illegal opcodes FTW!) all over again.

Of course, the fun really comes to a screeching halt upon checking one's W3C rating.

Using my language flags inside the title tag (i. e. <div class="lang:english">Home</div><div class="lang:german">Startseite</div>) further decreased my rating, unfortunately.

Which bares the question: Why is there no legit way to have a multilingual title tag yet?
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks all for your replies.
As a web designer, i would never build with C2 but simply embed the code in an iframe. After seeing Adobe Edge, i see a possible use for C2 as a way to add some gamification for certain sites or to add a product quizz etc. Imagine a product or service promo / micro site with a branded shooter or platform game! You could add another 1000+ to the price   
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:31 pm

[QUOTE=Blinx123]
Using my language flags inside the title tag (i. e. <div class="lang:english">Home</div><div class="lang:german">Startseite</div>) further decreased my rating, unfortunately.

Which bares the question: Why is there no legit way to have a multilingual title tag yet?[/QUOTE]
Why don't you use PHP, ASP.NET or whatever and detect the browser language / user location if you have a website where you need to care about multilingualism?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:12 pm

[QUOTE=Dayjay] [QUOTE=Blinx123]

Which bares the question: Why is there no legit way to have a multilingual title tag yet?[/QUOTE]
Why don't you use PHP, ASP.NET or whatever and detect the browser language / user location if you have a website where you need to care about multilingualism?[/QUOTE]

1. PHP is an inefficient, unelegant POS. No way in hell I'm ever using it for any bigger homepage project.

2. My homepage uses Google Blogger, so there's no way to use ASP.Net. There might be a way to integrate with my favourite choice, Python, through the use of Google App Engine. I'm still working it out, though. Implementing a Python based ecommerce platform will be a higher priority anyways.

3. For what I'm doing, Javascript is way faster and more efficient. No need to reload a page just to switch languages. No people at an internet caf/on their holidays getting mad at me because I chose to detect a language they might not even be fluent at. No need to keep track of multiple pages or an oversized sitemap. Blinx1232013-02-19 17:13:13
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm presenting a session on Game A.I. at a Norfolk Indie Game Developers meetup next week.

Rather than use Powerpoint, I'm using Construct2 to create my slide deck - with each slide being a separate layout within a single project. That way, I have interactive demos for each topic directly on each slide, rather than flick back and forth between slides and demos (I've seen plenty of demos where presenters spend ages Alt+Tabbing between different applications...).

It also means I can publish the entire presentation and all demo material on the internet after the event as an interactive website.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:11 pm

@tanoshimi

Nice.
That's what I did for my last two presentations, as well.

Works like a charm
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm

@SoldjahBoy created a website with C2. Check out the forum post here:

*Note that the site is hosted on a temp server out of australia, so that is likely why it may be slow to load and/or respond.

http://www.scirra.com/forum/monjava-coffee-website_topic47889.html

and the website here:

http://www.monjava.com.au/static/teahousemoon2013-02-20 23:39:41
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General