C2: Game monetisation strategy will be its downfall.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:25 am

I think it's good that Scirra is focusing on making a good tool for making games, instead of making plugins for monetization. Even the slogan on their front page DOESN'T say. "Monetize Games EASILY". Although it's easy to get hold of SDK's, and with a little bit of knowhow make your own plugins, i think it's good if there's options by the devs of those platforms. Although I think if you're really invested in your project, you'll find a solution.

1. Design your game for platforms where monetization works well. After you earn a bit of money see point 2.
2. Pay a coder to create the plugin you need for monetization on other platforms.
3. Learn how to make your own plugins, it's good to know, but if you can't do it. See point 2.
4. Team up with a coder that can help you with the monetization. If he don't want to do it for free, see point 2.
5. Put in a request in the Plugins subforum. If there's not much interest from the community, see point 2.
5. If you think there's a market for it, see point 2, and start earning money by selling the plugin on Scirra store.

There's community created plugins for steamworks and all other kind of stuff so why not monetization plugins?
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am

I don't know about Kongregate but since this topic is more about the Mobile IAP.

First, I actually agree with you all that Scirra should hire developers to make C2 third party plugins.

But still, regarding the Mobile IAP, there is no problem monetizing. I have tested them all and they are fine!
You see, you are over-complicating things. Scirra is actually designed like this and we can't do anything about it, you can wait for C3 (but I have a feeling it won't make any difference with the plugins) , buy an expensive program with complete features or use free Unity also with full features but you need to code, it's just like making C2 plugins in the first place.

If you need 100% free admob plugin: http://hermitsdevelopment.blogspot.com. ... -free.html
If you need a free admob plugin that has reward video interstitials... The only downside is that 2% of profit goes to the developer but you can just buy it for $20.00 for all earnings to be yours: http://hermitsdevelopment.blogspot.com. ... obpro.html

If you need an IAP that is 100% working (Paid) : https://www.scirra.com/store/construct2 ... ugins-1662 its only $10.00 or you can email @cranberrygame for a discount if it's too much for you. The pack include 90+ usable plugins that will suite yor needs in mobile development.

Now that you have the links. You can now monetize properly. I don't think the program / team itself is the problem. If you have been reading around the forums & using google as it was intended, then you wouldn't have any problem in the first place. Instead of complaining, find a way!

And we all know why we use C2, it's because it's 'cheap' and easy to use. If you want free & full-packed features then there is UNITY 2D but you need to work harder to learn to code. Or you if you are rich, buy buildbox!

@PixelPower - The people you mentioned that left C2 , they have left because C2 is purposely intended for starting game developers. Once you earned money and bought the Business LIcense, you then need to find a better program to suite your bigger needs. That's why I am here.

Just in case you don't know, Buildbox forums is deserted.

@Artpunk - I don't know what's happening with PC or Browser exports, so I feel sorry for your situation right now. That sucks.

The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:26 am

tunepunk wrote:I think it's good that Scirra is focusing on making a good tool for making games, instead of making plugins for monetization. Even the slogan on their front page DOESN'T say. "Monetize Games EASILY". Although it's easy to get hold of SDK's, and with a little bit of knowhow make your own plugins, i think it's good if there's options by the devs of those platforms. ...

I agree. However if they could find resources to keep the official plugins updated, I'd be overjoyed. It might also earn more users for the engine.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:13 pm

@glerikud I agree, but if it's no longer supported or way too outdated, it's better scirra remove it from the bundle. But if there's enough developers using it, making their voice heard i think it would be considered, either by Scirra or Kongregate to provide an up to date plugin.

Maybe you can make a shoutout on the forums and see who would be interested in that kind of plugin, then e-mail kongregate saying you have X amount of users looking for an update to this plugin. I bet it would be in their interest to provide that. Just like lucid and photon are providing plugins for their services, as more users would mean more ad revenue for them as well. ;)
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Ashley thinks 3rd party platforms should develop their own plugins for C2 because they know it better? Ok, but why? C2 is great but it's not a clear leader in the field. Go around dev forums and ask what is their favorite 2d dev platform and see for yourself: C2 is never in the top 5. Which is a shame but it's a reality. My guess is that its for this reason that C2 isn't high on the list of priorities for 3rd party platforms. So I have great respect for Ashley but he's wrong on this.
It's C2 job to follow the big players and adapt plugins so that 3rd party platforms are compatible, not the other way around. In my mind it would be like asking facebook to make a plugin for C2. Well, sorry but not gonna happen. So Google is not going to make an IAP plugin for C2 and neither is Apple.

And I know we can buy plugins from other developers but not long ago I read a post about someone accusing some IAD plugins dev to take a 30% cut instead of the promised 2%. The official developer replied that he was aware that some people hacked his plugin and offered it for free with these sneaky cuts. Why do we have to put up with this shit? I make a game, I don't want to turn into a detective and find out what's real and what's not, who's trying to scam me or not when I already bought a licence for a software that was supposed to handle IADS?
Same story for IAPs. I just bought the cranberry plugin because I found out that the Phonegap one was no longer supported. And guess what? It's apparently not working on IOS. Can you believe this? The platform where players spend the most isn't available to us and we have to wait for a 3rd party developers to come back from his holidays (or wherever) to fix it?

In the end we are not asking Ashley and co to make crazy game specific plugins. We are asking for working basics from A to Z and IAP/ IAD are the most basic of all.
Sell them for $10 each if needed and hire a junior developer to keep them up to date but enough with the stubbornness. The community is asking for it so perhaps it's time to listen.
B
S

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Wenutz wrote:In the end we are not asking Ashley and co to make crazy game specific plugins. We are asking for working basics from A to Z and IAP/ IAD are the most basic of all.
Sell them for $10 each if needed and hire a junior developer to keep them up to date but enough with the stubbornness. The community is asking for it so perhaps it's time to listen.

While I say that the engine should include working IAD/IAP plugins and support for major platforms (like we have now), I'd be gladly giving Scirra 10$ for platform specific up-to-date plugins each (like Kongregate, etc..). But again, it's none of my business how Scirra manages it's company/products.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:18 pm

I am also willing to pay $10 extra for each monetisation plugin that in continuously updated.

Plugins like IAP, Admob, Chartboost, Kongregate...etc could all be money makers for scirra and make it easier for developer to monetise their games.

I think this is something for Scirra to consider. I would certainly pay extra for the plugins.
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General