C2 just for prototypes?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm

[QUOTE=sqiddster]...This also brings up a question which I have not been able to answer honestly - does a C2 game deserve as much respect as the same game made from scratch?[/QUOTE]

Does games made in Unreal Engine, Unity... deserve same thing?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm

An engine does not a great game make. A game earns respect for it's overall design. I hold flash games that are fun to play in the same level of respect as AAA titles (that are fun to play).

There will be people who will think less of a game based on the engine it uses, but then again there are people who would complain if you gave them $10.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Just think of the engine, be in Unity, XNA or C2, as a tool, everyone can use tools, but not everyone can make something with them.

UDK is a good example to bring up, as that is almost entirely scripted, sure the scripts can get complicated and doing some things in it are harder than others but it's a script none the less, much like events and behaviours in C2 so if someone thinks a great game made in UDK is great while a great game made in C2 is not, they are just being snobby.cyberdrizzt2013-02-05 18:47:19
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

[QUOTE=sqiddster]I wonder if, were a C2 game to become popular, it would not be seen as highly as a game made in a more low-level engine.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the game players would care what language the game was written in, as long as it was fun and played well, which is one reason I hope for better and better export options, cocoon is working well for iOS games but I have only tested some simple prototypes I wonder how it would handle a larger game?

But no the end user only see's the game they dont know or care if it took 1 guy 2 weeks to make or 10 guys 10 months.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

check this game in windows store developed using C2 , http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/mortar-melon/a3f3335d-5fd4-455e-9052-ab6a016cea4b it's in top 20 free games , which means C2 is capable of making full fledged **successful** games , it's just the matter of how you conceptualize, design and develop. Although C2 has some limitations in terms of 3D, Multi-channel Audio, etc , it's still a very capable tool in it's class ;) and has it's own advantages.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Checkout CocoonJS demos and their own published games in the AppStore , you will see it's capabilities. The newer version of CocoonJS which will be releasing soon has lot more capabilities added and performance improvements to be able to compete with main stream games.

@Ashley , one suggestion , you should make a Angry Birds like prototype in C2 to show case which will make people totally believe in the tool tringio2013-02-05 19:54:29
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 pm

@tringio, there is an angry birds-style game included in the project templates I believe.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 pm

[QUOTE=shinkan] [QUOTE=sqiddster]...This also brings up a question which I have not been able to answer honestly - does a C2 game deserve as much respect as the same game made from scratch?[/QUOTE]

Does games made in Unreal Engine, Unity... deserve same thing?[/QUOTE]

If the exact same game takes me 6 months in C2 and one year in another tool I just dont see the point of using a complicated engine like one of those. I think they deserve the same respect.

B
S

Post » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 am

[QUOTE=sqiddster]

This also brings up a question which I have not been able to answer honestly - does a C2 game deserve as much respect as the same game made from scratch?[/QUOTE]

If you're critiquing a good game based on its design and aesthetics then absolutely a C2 game of course deserves as much respect. If you're looking at a rubbish game and it's made in C2 vs a rubbish game made entirely from scratch then probably the latter gets more kudos - doesn't keep it from being a rubbish game though.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Could C2 be used to create commercial game? What things prevent it to create prototype only?
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General