C2 Performance, let's be honest...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Well as I said, I will plod on, for now...

2.5d Displays, is an old term obviously not used these days...

I expect it's the related to the "back to front rendering" that ashley refers to, as in all open windows are displaying their textures despite being covered by another window, where as I believe XP had to use software rendering to do this, and could cause a "dragging" effect as the GPU caught up with the window position when repositioned...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:58 pm

@Pixel perfick - the performance you describe strongly suggests software rendering. Perhaps you have old drivers which are blacklisted, did you try updating them? Also did you try Firefox and IE and were the results consistent across them? If you only tested Chrome, note the current version has an issue where it may use software-rendered WebGL which is horribly slow. The next Chrome out in a few weeks should fix that.

@Juryiel - the 'high DPI' mode does not alter the CPU load, only the GPU load. I think this is strong evidence the game is bottlenecked on the GPU hardware capabilities, and therefore a native engine would not be faster.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:05 am

I agree that just making an engine native wouldn't necessarily improve things and I'm not saying that's what the problem is. However, if a native engine was coded to handle graphics better than whatever C2 or WebGL implementations in browsers are doing it could make a difference. Clearly something is going on right? I'm not the expert here really, so how do you reconcile these facts?:

1. Device has good, modern GPU, which supports WebGL
2. Device can push 60fps in complicated 3d games easily at high resolution
3. Device can't run Autorunner beyond 30fps at high resolution

I think the answer to that will solve the performance problem I'm having, whatever that answer is.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:07 am

I know a large chunk of users for Don't fall! are running chromebooks, which are cheap as $200, and I've never had a complaint about performance. That said, they are built to run chrome...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 am

No, it's just that old mobile hardware is heavily fillrate limited. 3D games are rendered differently to 2D games and are actually lighter on the fillrate. Due to depth testing, 3D games can more or less write to every pixel on screen just once. However 2D games with a back-to-front renderer like Construct 2 has with lots of overlapping objects hits the fillrate hard, and old GPUs can't push that much bandwidth. Newer devices have no trouble though.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 am

The device is not old, it has cutting edge mobile GPU. It's a Tegra 4. It has a fill rate of 2.68 Gpix/s (whatever that means, it's probably good :P)

Also it can run 2d games like Reaper at 60fps with many more sprites and effects and such.

Autorunner is just an utterly basic game, not being able to run that game at 60fps means either that C2 is not optimized, whatever graphics libraries are used are not optimized, or Autorunner is not made in C2 in an optimized way. You can't say that it's because the GPU is old because it's possibly one of the best mobile GPUs in existence and as a gamer who has many, many android games, so far C2 Autorunner is the only game that has given me fps noticeably below 60.

There is clearly a problem on someone's end, and it's not the GPU.

Edit:
Doing some probably incorrect math here but at 2.68 Gpix per sec / (2560 x 1600) resolution I can redraw the whole screen 655 times per second if fillrate means how quickly it can draw pixels. This means that I would have to redraw the screen 11 times every frame to drop below 60fps if this were just a fillrate issue. This probably isn't how it works, but however it works, I would imagine with that fillrate it would take a lot to drop to 30fpsJuryiel2014-02-18 00:34:09
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 am

@ashley ,graphics card drivers upto date...

with XP I could not use internet explorer, so not something I'm in the habit of, will give it a go...

Just tried it on win 7 and I'm amazed it's running at 66FPS in canvas 2D...

Scratches head...it outperforms chrome and node webkit, both using web gl...

any explanations?

Pixel perfick2014-02-18 00:31:45
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 am

"Scratches head...it outperforms chrome and node webkit, both using web gl..."

As it was stated (I could be wrong), current version of chrome (and perhaps node webkit?) are simulating WebGL when it is software rendered in some cases (Not sure of the reason behind that).

So you are not experiencing a fast Chrome with WebGL hardware rendering, but a chrome with software rendering simulating a webGL hardware rendering, which is far slower (and still reported as webGL though)

It is clearly a chrome/node webkit problem if that is indeed the case

IE currently uses canvas2D, which is hardware rendered, and so better than software rendering. The WebGL indication on this version of chrome for many users doesn't mean what it has in the past, and I think will be corrected with the next version

Just What I understood, could be wrongAphrodite2014-02-18 00:30:11
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 am

[QUOTE=Pixel perfick] @ashley ,graphics card drivers upto date...

with XP I could not use internet explorer, so not something I'm in the habit of, will give it a go...

Just tried it on win 7 and I'm amazed it's running at 66FPS in canvas 2D...

Scratches head...it outperforms chrome and node webkit, both using web gl...

any explanations?

[/QUOTE]

I noticed the same a while ago doing testing on an old laptop with an integrated intel gpu, IE rendered far faster than node webkit, but its event execution speed was lower. If I recall correctly, using a flag to disable the driver blacklist in node webkit/chrome fixed it. As such, it does seem like your card's driver being blacklisted is the problem.Arima2014-02-18 00:33:12
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 am

My laptop with a ultra low volt i5 and its intergrated HD4000 destroys html5 games, it's not even a problem at all for desktop performance. The only issues is using older GPUs and their out-of-date drivers.

If you have some GPU from many years ago with 256mb ram, the drivers for it hasn't been kept up to date, period. This is especially true for AMD/ATI cards, they tend to stop supporting it after about 5 years.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General