C2 Performance, let's be honest...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 pm

I wonder how this topic didn't get yet into HTML5 performances instead of C2's Performance, C2 is a great HTML5 engine, but it is an HTML5 engine, maybe that is part of the problem, how HTML5 works on older computer
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:14 pm

It under performs when set against the expectations of the end user in today's high spec gaming world...

I love the challenge of squeezing a few extra frames per second from a project by reworking a few events, I guess that's half the attraction for me, and I really appreciate the effort and passion the Scirra team have put into the C2 engine, I have seen it's performance improve leaps and bounds from it's early days...

But recently the engines core simplicity and compact size seems to be getting wieghed down, as more features are added, performance seems to be taking a nose dive...Pixel perfick2014-02-18 21:15:37
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Its really hard not to go full flame when you say your using old hardware, but your users are from a high spec gaming world.

Wouldn't they use modern machines?
It doesn't have to be from this decade, but geez half that would be nice.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:32 pm

@newt Your comment makes no sense, the "high spec gaming world" is the cutting edge backdrop that is perceived to be the norm...

The modern phone,tablet or mid range laptop would still probably not out perform My old desktop...

So you suggest we just wait until all hardware can run a C2 game well?

Sounds familiar...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Yeah I don't know, the sense I get is that C2 is basically still a beta-stage product for many of the platforms it supports because it has a slew of dependencies most of which are still heavily changing and in flux, and just downright incomplete. You can't really trust features to work consistently on different browsers or machines, especially not just out of the box, whether it's performance or just functionality. I still think the product is more than worth the price for what it does, but it does set too high of an expectation in its marketing.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 pm

@Juryiel I agree 100%, C2 needs in house exporters for the obvious offending platforms...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Comparing games performance from the high end gamer industry to web based html5 games.

I will say there is quite a bit of difference ...
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 pm

@Aphrodite Sorry I missed Your post earlier, C2 is a great engine and maybe your right that the focus should be on HTML5 performance in general, rather than C2 in particular...

So if that's the case who do we contact? ludei? Intel? Google? mozilla? Microsoft? ...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Let me quote a post for you
[quote]
Of course it's much faster. HTML5 Apps are written in Javascript and interpreted by the browser's JavaScript engine, whilst native apps run in native machine code (IOS "C") or at least as compiled byte code (Android "Java"). Also, native apps have much more possibilities to access the system they are running on (sensors like GPS, camera, file system, ...) through the APIs provided by the OS, whilst HTML5 apps are bound to the HTML5 API which is a small subset.
[/quote]source

That explains much of it

Now listen , don't blame C2 , C2 is a wonderfully optimised engine , blame HTML5 , it's known in the industry that "some" technologies sacrificed performance for portability , now that's the case of Java , but it got heaps better now that it's mature , same thing goes to HTML5 , let it mature a bit ... and stop blaming C2

+ Your card is probably blacklisted or something , and that may be the reason you can't squeeze much performance out of it , remember , if WebGL isn't supported , you won't get accelerated graphics , and that can affect your performance , thus , try your games on better rigs and maybe you'll get better result ! Whiteclaws2014-02-18 23:30:25
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Couple of quotes from my original post will wrap this up for me, as we seem to be going in circles...but thanks for all the input...

"I think most devs on here are blind to the real capabilities of C2 as they are running fast gaming spec PC's, many still struggle to push 60 FPS in a game that a Sega mega drive could breeze..."

"Maybe Java script is just not upto the job, or maybe we are just making excuses..."

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General