C2 performance still depressing

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:09 am

@Lunatrap. Yes noticeable jank in your video.

I think the only option at present is to learn new tools if you are serious about making games you can release. That of course is a real shame because C2 itself is an excellent tool. But you can't keep waiting and hoping things out of your control will improve.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:35 am

@megatronx have you ever reported this behaviour with a real bug report? It seems odd that this shouldn't be fixable, especially if there is a 3rd party plug that does it right.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:42 am

So The Next Penelope runs great - doesn't use platforming. All of the people complaining are using default platforming behavior. That's what I'm taking from this.

In our case, the enemies also use the platform behavior if they are ground based. Our jank isn't like @Lunatrap 's on every machine. I haven't seen our game do that in a long time. I see random stutters like something is loading... sometimes at the start of a layout it might do it heavily or not at all - sometimes in the middle of a layout it can happen. It's the ones that get the big jank where the jumping goes haywire, etc.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Eisenhans wrote:@megatronx have you ever reported this behaviour with a real bug report? It seems odd that this shouldn't be fixable, especially if there is a 3rd party plug that does it right.

Well, I didn't think of it as bug, until you mention it, but just as a bad programing. Maybe even assumed that it was only problem due to my events, and since there was instantly working alternative, I just forgot all about it. I also thought people might have known about it! I don't really know why I assumed that.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:27 pm

All basic behaviours should work. If you have one of those rare and reproducible cases where one doesn't, *please* report it. It's the only way to improve things ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:36 pm

I don't use platforming in my game and I don't have any noticeable jank right now.
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:59 pm

damainman wrote:So The Next Penelope runs great - doesn't use platforming. All of the people complaining are using default platforming behavior. That's what I'm taking from this

Well you didnt read the OP. The thread has been hijacked somewhat i feel :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm on the C2 boat since 2012, developed two projects on it, one really (and maybe too) big and one quite small and simple. I putted them on hold last year due to the lack of a real monetization support (at the time there was only the infamous ludei->mopub->admob thing with ridicolous fill rates and entire days of broken servers) and checked them from time to time to see how the html5 ecosystem was improving.
What puzzles me is that my apps keep loosing performance everytime I came back checking them.
There's one project (the bigger) that worked more than decently on devices really weak by today standards (with X-Walk performing even better than Ludei's Canvas+) and now, without changing anything in my code since one year, is struggling on a Nexus 5 and, despite its heavy optimization for mobile devices, even on my desktop which is quite a beast of machine.
Unfortunately this is related to the enormous mess the chromium team has done recently and, since chromium is packed in every serious exporter we have, the situation is really depressing both for desktop and mobile developers.

For example here's a link with some benchmarks runned over various chromium version.
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=456507&q=fps&colspec=ID%20Pri%20M%20Week%20ReleaseBlock%20Cr%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20OS%20Modified
Although the OP of the linked post is blaming D3D binding and he's talking about the WebGL renderer, I can assure that the regression curve is basically the same on Android (so there must be a different culprit than D3D) and affects also Canvas2D performance (Maybe in a minor way, and that's probably why I found today some post on this forum claiming that Canvas2D seems more consistent than WebGL on some games).

At least mobile developers have cordova/cocoonjs/canvas+ integration at the horizon... sounds strange saying this in 2015 but with the chromium suicide, cocoonjs/canvas+ is now again the state of the art of HTML5 mobile performance (but I've been burned a lot of times before, so I become ultracareful with Ludei's announcements)
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:36 pm

spongehammer wrote:Well you didnt read the OP. The thread has been hijacked somewhat i feel :)

It sure has! Lots of valid bits flying around though.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:37 am

Just commenting to keep these type post at top - they need to be known and addressed - in fact should be stickied!
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General