C2 performance still depressing

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:34 am

michael wrote:Just commenting to keep these type post at top - they need to be known and addressed - in fact should be stickied!

I think I agree that there should be something stickied but maybe just a locked thread with the sentence "Eventually everything will work out."

It works great with all those fans who leave negative reviews on Steam, YouTube, and Twitter for engine bugs I can't fix or even reproduce in any of my testing computers ; )
Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:45 am

I don't know if this is relevant to performance or not, but Ashley posted this recently on his twitter:

Sounds like there is finally consensus about canvas rendering from workers with OffscreenCanvas: https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/OffscreenCanvas

Would need a runtime rewrite to use that though...

[It would mean that the] entire runtime could run in a worker, unaffected by any main thread jank. Realistically this is a post-C3 project.

I'm guessing that means our games would utilize more cores? I don't remember how many are being used, but considering 48.8% of Steam users have 2 cores and 48% have 3+ cores, that might be good.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:57 am

@alspal that'd be sweet, and since Construct 3 isn't out yet I would really, extremely, very much like it to take advantage of something like that and replace the runtime instead of just waiting until C4 comes.
Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:54 am

I'd rather wait an other year or so for C3 if I have to to get these kind of improvements.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:15 am

It might help a bit to run the engine in a worker, but I wouldn't expect it to be a transformative improvement. Running the engine on the main thread means it contends with other browser work happening on the main thread, but browser developers already work hard to keep the main thread as free as possible (by making the browser do its own work in other threads - already using other cores if available - see this blog) specifically so there's as much time as possible to be spent running JS code. I don't know, I'd guess at maybe at best a 10% improvement running in a worker. As the blog post mentions, a nice thing about browser engines is they already split work across cores where possible.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:26 pm

10% sounds like a great boost, if it's the difference between even 59fps and 60fps it may be all that's needed to remove the strangeness that occurs in platform behaviour.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:59 am

Eisenhans wrote:@Spongehammer

I dont want to start another long debate about what Scirra should or shouldnt do as there are a number of those threads already running.

So, if this isn't about what you want Scirra to do.. what do you want? (Serious question)

Ummm yeah. I actually don't get that too.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:18 am

@irbis

Read the thread, I already answered.

The thread was simply a statement about how i felt when i went to start a new project then got reminded straight away about the poor performance of C2/Chrome/NW.js

There was no intention to start a long debate about it because we have heard it all before and nothing gets done.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:20 am

spongehammer wrote:@irbis

Read the thread, I already answered.

The thread was simply a statement about how i felt when i went to start a new project then got reminded straight away about the poor performance of C2/Chrome/NW.js

There was no intention to start a long debate about it because we have heard it all before and nothing gets done.

I still don't get it. So this is a rant thread just for venting?
bear in mind - I am not trolling or anything
And I did read it from the ground up.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:51 am

10% sounds good. I think you should try it out. Also, if you can get the engine to use multiple cores, you can advertise it as such :)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General