C2 vs real programming

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:46 am

To bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.

... or something like that.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Its still programming you know, just with a high level language.
Its like a comparison between a bike and a motor bike xD
B

Post » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:52 pm

@SullyTheStrange I like that saying a lot.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Thats an awesome saying. =D
B

Post » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Oh another question to anyone in this forum.

Does construct 2 follow javascript's operator precedence?
B

Post » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:03 pm

[QUOTE=Mipey] Real programming? REAL programming?! [/QUOTE]

Haha - nice!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:09 pm

I really enjoy working with Construct now that I have had some time to invest in to it. I will be completely honest, without some essential plugins (rexrainbow's function plugin for example) I would personally have serious problems figuring how to accomplish some of the things I really want to accomplish, especially with a programmer thinking style background.

In fact I am sure I have overcomplicated some things as I learn how to do them using the event system, but its what I enjoy doing. Do I think construct 2 might need a scripting option? no. Do I hope it keeps evolving and incorporating things like the function plugin (which should be part of the base event system IMO), absolutely! =)

PS: A huge thank you to the people that work hard on the plugins.
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:35 am

The graphic designer with the huge love with game, without knowledge of programming, it's impossible. But with c2, everything now change...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:51 pm

@accidentallyc As an answer to the 2nd question, you can in theory (although probably not officially supported) write most of the logic of your game using javascript by creating a plugin with the SDK. You can access most of C2's functionality from the javascript SDK so you could do a custom plugin just for your game that implements the part of you game you want to hand-code. So, yes, C2 does let you write code.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:24 pm

[QUOTE=juantar]...you can in theory (although probably not officially supported) write most of the logic of your game using javascript by creating a plugin with the SDK...[/QUOTE]

My understanding of this is that for third party plugins you intend to publish, you need to follow the rules set down by Scirra. This helps maintain consistency and prevents errors and bugs in later releases.

For private plugins, there really aren't any restrictions as far as I can see. If you are not planning on publishing the plugin, you won't break anyone's project but your own.

Building custom plugins for your private use (but for use in published games, obviously) is a great way to add coding to C2, in my opinion.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
Don't see the fnords and they won't eat you!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General