C2 Wishlist

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 am

@sogen - why do you think PSD import will be of any use? i can't imagine a usecase where one really needs it. stick to PNG and everything is fine!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:56 am

That would make a faster workflow:
1.- Design in Photoshop,
2.- Import grouped shapes in Construct2 as merged separate elements

Current workflow:
1.- Design in Photoshop,
2.- Export every item (hide others),
repeat TONS of times...
100ish.- Import in Construct2

B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 am

[QUOTE=sqiddster] @sogen, there is an unofficial Polygon plugin.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot! It'd be nice to have those as native.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am

The possibility to select and drag/sort multiple objects at once from the projects folders would be nice. So far sorting one sprite into a subfolder at a time can be quite tedious.
B
G

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi,

My first post here and looking to make interactive picture books using construct. I wish there was a storybook template to get me started, but am working through some of the tutorials to make one from scratch.

What would be really helpful is to import my photoshop layered files into construct and have it replicated in construct. That way I don't have to redo the whole layout manually (which could easily take hours for the whole book) and just concentrate on adding interactivity to the different storybook pages.

I know this is a bit out of "game maker's" comfort zone but as a lot of interactive books are now being published to html5, I'm sure a lot of authors and illustrators are looking into using 2D game engines for exactly this purpose.

e1e1two2013-03-10 14:20:12
B

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:27 pm

@e1two , unfortunately I doubt Scirra can spend time ATM making C2 work better with something it's not designed to do.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Yep , and also take note that devs are poor and not a lot of them have PS installed , so Ashley might also need to implement that to every other image editor like GIMP , and hat would be a lot of problems ...

@sogen , there are scripts that save automatically every element to .png , then you just need to import to C2
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just about any bitmap painting app now exports layered psd's, from a five pound sketchbook pro on ipad to the full blown PS CS6 at 1500 pounds. So even poor amateur game creators would benefit from this feature.

As for having to apply features for different graphics apps, that doesn't really makes sense, as the importer shouldn't make any distinction where the psd came from.

But you are right about construct2 is maybe not conceived from the ground up to make storybook apps. That's not the impression I got from some of the other threads on the forum, saying that the engine was more than capable of doing so.

I would be happy for construct to flatten all layers to seperate png's and maybe do some cropping on import, nothing that hasn't been suggested on the forums already, as far as I can make out.

Thanks again for your answers,

e1

B

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 pm

As someone that uses Photoshop on a daily basis, an importer would be a bad idea. The Adobe importers/exporters are bad enough (try exporting a layered Illustrator file that uses blending modes as a .PSD).

When developing a game, each sprite should be considered individually; how to minimise video memory, maximise reusability and maximise the appearance of diversity. Creating an importer would actively discourage close consideration of technical limitations.

Even so, having previously built a level editor as a Photoshop extension, you could very feasibly build a C2 exporter for Photoshop.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:05 pm

A lot of what you say makes sense for a straight up video game. For an interactive book diversity and reuse is a lot less of an issue.

As for an importer. I'm fine with cropping and exporting png's from photoshop. What is a real pain though, is having to reassemble your page layout from scratch in construct, if you have more than just a handful of layers

Could you tell a bit more about the photoshop level editor.
Sounds interesting.

e1e1two2013-03-10 16:16:29
B

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General