C3 Architect Request list

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:09 am

@Ashley and everyone else
With the announcement of C3 on the horizon. I thought I would write down a list of mostly development flow suggestions. This is a Google doc editable by anyone. The idea is that anyone who has a suggestion that enhances C3 should be able to write them in a location for everyone to find.. Now I had started this shortly before the announcement and have only worked on the doc here and there. So it's still an early work in progress. Feel free to make corrections or clarifications by leaving a comment.

But everyone feel free add suggestions that mostly target
work flow
architect design
and overall game design improvement

and not suggestions that can be done now, especially if it's a plugin. Also these suggestions should be inspiring so that Ashley and staff know that if he doesn't want to create the feature, to allow C3 be workable enough that others can do the feature themselves.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pNRLro04cVYz6f2MUDT5ycDTKHOASVwDEPAI717ZGe8/edit?usp=sharing
I've also put the link in my sig
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:13 am

Cool idea, it could replace all those posts that are being lost in history. 1 File to look at much better.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:18 am

Good work, jayderyu. Most of your suggestions are practical, well thought out, well explained, and would not be possible in the context of C2.

I added one minor addition: Bool/Array as a new global/local variable type.
Last edited by TiAm on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:26 am

TiAm wrote:I added one minor addition: Bool as a new global/local variable type.

Quantrillion times this. Should be easy as pie in C2 already, why isn't it?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:49 am

TiAm wrote:I added one minor addition: Bool as a new global/local variable type.

+1, aswell as some sort of json object / dictionary where you can quickly set/create/delete values/keys.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:20 am

I did not added this as I am not sure it has its place (it seems unfixable in C2 IIRC and was introduced to prevent crashes as far as I read)

correcting the "pick just created instances in sub events", this bug is plain annoying, and has confused also people in the past in believing that events are not read one after another.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:24 pm

@Aphrodite
I'm not sure how to relay this. As far as I know as soon as an Object is created. The ES following the creation of the object directly refer to the newly created object. You can also use OnCreated Event for an object for doing that pick.

However, you are right on a few occasions I create an object but needed to SOL Pick the object immediately. I'm not sure how to convey this issue, but I'll think about.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Ashley will understand the issue.

"Allow picking an object regardless of when/where it was made". Ref: You can not use a Pick event on a newly created object until the next top level event.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:47 pm

jayderyu wrote:@Aphrodite
I'm not sure how to relay this. As far as I know as soon as an Object is created. The ES following the creation of the object directly refer to the newly created object. You can also use OnCreated Event for an object for doing that pick.

However, you are right on a few occasions I create an object but needed to SOL Pick the object immediately. I'm not sure how to convey this issue, but I'll think about.

The thing is that currently, doing this:
destroys the already present sprites but not the newly created one (aka it is not picked)

than this:
destroys all of them (it is picked too)

Then finally:
Destroys all of them (it is picked by the pick by UID, which is Direct)

Where all should act the same way (destroy them all)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:06 pm

CC had it where often used conditions were highlighted, and at the beginning of the list for system, and objects.
It would be nice to have something like that as it takes a while to find what you are looking for.
Likewise it would be nice to have that feature for the other parts of the editor, like for objects, behaviors, etc.
Several different orders would be nice, like an official plug listed first.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General