C3 Architect Request list

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:22 pm

If there are customizable windows, and associated actions. Then the architecture can already support the request down the road. Either by Scirra or some one else.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:46 pm

jayderyu wrote:If there are customizable windows, and associated actions. Then the architecture can already support the request down the road. Either by Scirra or some one else.

Extensions are great and all, but I want the main software to function well from the get go. I'm already going trough nightmare of custom extensions in other software I'm using, and I don't C2 to be this way.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:33 am

I understand, but this thread is about architecture. The current issue your having is architecture, if your having nightmare issues that's because of limits in the base foundation. With C2 there are limitations in C2 that developers can't get around, including making making easy to use tools. So some of the best development flow tools can't work well with C2 without Ashley making custom code to the IDE, and that custom code never passes on to developers(ie Spriter custom code for importing). Where as a good architecture would allow a tool like Spriter to seamlessly work with C2 without constantly re-importing.

If you want straight out of the door requests. I suggest looking for a straight out the door request thread. However I do take suggestions and evaluate them to make sure that the C3 can handle all requests effectively rather than limited.

Though I do need to go over some of the items in the document and find ways to break them down to their architect basics rather than the results.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 am

It looks like we have a troll

http://i.imgur.com/BAsp1pv.png
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:25 am

Joannesalfa wrote:It looks like we have a troll

http://i.imgur.com/BAsp1pv.png

Would it sound jaded if I were to be surprised that it took this long... :lol: :roll:

@jayderyu:

You can roll back, right?

megatronx wrote:
jayderyu wrote:If there are customizable windows, and associated actions. Then the architecture can already support the request down the road. Either by Scirra or some one else.

Extensions are great and all, but I want the main software to function well from the get go. I'm already going trough nightmare of custom extensions in other software I'm using, and I don't C2 to be this way.

This +1000.

I know the whole point of this thread is to articulate how C3 should be more open to tinkering and third-party-extensions, but megatronx makes a really good point: we need basic functionality that works. I just don't want to see C3 typified by this response from Ashley (and/or other devs, if there ever are other C2 devs):

"Yeah, that's a good idea, and it's on the todo list, but you know, you can just add it yourself with the sdk."

Also, while I can think of all sorts of awesomeness that could come from custom IDE elements, such a feature must be designed so that extensions can be rolled into a capx on export (hopefully such a feature can be extended to plugs/behaviors/effects too).

Otherwise, we are going to be looking at an expansion of the dependency-hell that already affects many C2 projects due to third party plugins/behaviors/effects.

Anyway, don't mind me, just being the devil's advocate. Now, where's another parade I can piss on... :twisted:
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 am

By the way, just to counter all that downer talk: this has become a really awesome document. I haven't looked a it in a few weeks, so most of this is completely new (to me).

In particular, I'd never heard of Duff's Device loops. Why, exactly, are they faster? Would there be any way to hard-mod a bit of the engine code to give them a test run?

For anyone that wants to run the tests:

http://jsperf.com/duffs-device
Last edited by TiAm on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:01 pm

I agree c3 ide must support versatile custom extensions, but just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject and just communicate what's even more important.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:56 pm

@Joannesalfa
Thanks for pointing out the trolling, and taking a pic. Unfortunate. Some one else however seems to have reverted. Which whomever it was. It's appreciated

@TiAm @megatronix
I agree with wanting C3 done right out the gate as of 1.0. however doing it right out the gate would require very long time; along the lines of 2/3 years of a tool developed in isolation. With C3 IDE need to be redone instead of built on top of. What I'm hoping for is the beta to be released very light and "soon". With a lot of tools missing non existent. So that beta developers can help evolve C3 towards it's 1.0 release and weigh in what would be best for 1.0 release.

@TiAm
It's a compiler method. Non reference code(ie pointed else where to in memory) is just faster. This comes down to memory cache for values. In a loop memory needs to be recycled which uses up time. Where as hard coded declared the memory use at compile time. There is also memory referencing of loops as a loop is scoped piece of code and so also has to have memory properly allocated every iteration with the next set of values.

By unraveling a loop by n the compiler preallocates the memory, and also reduced the loop cache scope by a division of n. By having memory better handled and less code scopes, the result is increased performance. it's just unraveling a 50 line loop by 8 is going to produce a code file of 50lines x8unravel or 400 lines, instead of just 50. So that means if the loop needs editing, then you need to make sure each unravel needs to be updated.

I would love to see Construct 3 use duffs device on the main game loop. Looking through C2 game loop, there would be little benefit. As C2 itterates through each object Type first(so 4 different sprite type objects, are their own loop of main logic). That's also the reason why my push for C3 to use a singular world object. Then C3 can use duffs device to unravel the world object code and we could work to get more performance out of C3 than we can from C2.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 am

@megatronx
@TiAm

An extendable architect not only could help 3part plugin developers, but also make scirra developers add new features more quickly.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 pm

I couldn't have put it better myself. Rex nails the the subject a lot better than my verbose reasoning. Some times terse is much better.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General